Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Steven_Woodward's profile

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, June 22nd, 2023 1:03 PM

Phone will not display caller's name from the directory, but will audibly speak the name.

The AT&T BL102 annunciates the callers’s name in two ways: by display on the phone and by audibly speaking the name.   

If name is not provided by the caller, then display shows "Unknown Name" along with the caller's number.   If the caller's number is in the directory, the phone will speak the name in the directory but the display still shows "Unknown Name” - the display will not pull the name from the directory.   Does not make any difference if a 1 is added in front of the number in directory.   The Panasonic phone, that I was using, will show the name from the directory on the display.   

Many users on Amazon have the same complaint about this AT&T phone so I assume this is a common problem.  

I called AT&T customer support [1-800-288-2020].  After lots of conversation with AT&T no solution was offered.    

Interested if anyone has found a solution to this problem

Accepted Solution

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

Solution found.   Changed my service from Bell to Koodo.    Now the AT&T BL102 phone works as expected:  If caller does not have an ID but caller's number is in the BL102 phone book, then BL102 will display the name in the phone book.   If caller has an ID then BL102 will display that ID.   

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

11 months ago

According to the manual the only time you should see unknown name is when the name is not in the directory or allow list and not provided by the phone carrier. In looking through smart call blocker I can't find anything that would affect the caller name only. I also have a BL102-xx and haven't seen the problem you're describing, just FYI I'm not using the call blocker it is off, don't know if that would make any difference or not. If you're using call blocker try putting the number(s) in question in the allow list also to see if that fixes the issue. 

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

11 months ago

I went through many amazon reviews and didn't see the issue, also put unknown name in the search and didn't come up with anything, since it hits on every "unknown" or "name" I didn't look at many that way as it wasn't any different than reading them all. 

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

11 months ago

Can you tell us who your provider is?

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

I am not using call blocker.   

Here are some review comments, from Amazon.ca, by people with same problem

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

Provider is Bell Canada.

The display will show the caller's name when that name is provided by Bell Canada.  However many calls are received without caller name but caller number is still displayed.   This is common with calls from a cell phone.   When a call is received with only the number available, the phone looks for that number in the directory and audibly speaks the associated name.  But the display does not look in the directory, it just shows "Unknown Name”

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

11 months ago

This topic is also from Canada with the same issue different phone system. I have no idea why these systems are doing this other than the phones themselves don't recognize the FSK code being transmitted, or it not pure enough. The FSK code which carries the CID information is not regulated by the FCC. My only suggestion is if your Panasonic worked than get another Panasonic phone system. As I stated I have the same phone system and haven't experienced the issue using Verizon wireless home phone as a carrier. Also you stated if Bell Canada supplies the name the phone will show it, why the voice announcement will pull from the directory and the display doesn't I haven't a clue. 

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

11 months ago

Thank you for confirming the issue was with the signal being sent by Bell Canada. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.