Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
DSquareStCharles's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, February 8th, 2014 5:09 PM

How do I get back my previous phone number?

We had U-verse installed yesterday -- TV, Phone, Internet.  It all went perfectly, except we lost our phone number.  Before U-verse, we had service from ATT (used to be SBC), with DSL added.  I signed up by web, and the web site would not allow me to retain my number.   No problem:  I called ATT and the tech said I had placed a lock on the number, and she would fix it.   Yesterday the service guy said number was being changed.   Called ATT again, and the tech said no problem, number would be restored after the install.   We got a new number after the install.   Yesterday spent 3 hours on the phone and did a chat session.   Claim is I need to do a manual install of something -- maybe have to change a cable and call another ATT number.   How can this be?  I have an uncomfortable feeling I am about to do a manual install of U-verse phone, even tho it is already installed.   Aren't numbers changed at central, and not at my telco box?   Can anyone direct me to a better way?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

When I signed up for AT&T services online I stated I wanted to keep my old number and put it in the registration. I got a message from AT&T not to contact my current company, they would take care of it. When they installed my services I got a new number. I started contacting them right away about getting my old number back, they said my old provider had not released it. 10 days prior to today I contacted AT&T and they said they scheduled my old number to be ported and it should happen within 3 days. It did not happen and they did not contact me. Once again I contact AT&T and they said my number had not been released. I contacted my old provider and they said it had been released to AT&T weeks before. So now about 35 days after my number was changed, a bunch of phone calls and chat sessions, I will not get my old number, AT&T tells me they gave my number to someone else, another AT&T customer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have been a Loyal AT&T member for many years, I started out as SBC and was transferred over to AT&T when merged (a long time ago).Everything in my home is now and has been AT&T. My phone, cable, internet, tablets and cell phones are AT&T. I had been very happy with the service, even with all these new cable service deals going around to switch, I was adamant on remaining an AT&T'er for life. I recently had a fire in January 2016 and my only request with AT&T was to let me keep my number (landline) I've had with them for 20 years. I was told “No Problem". by AT&T representative , the guy said you’re a long time loyal customer we can do that, I was instructed to call when I get settled in and they would take care of everything the account would be notated long standing customer wanted to keep the number she had for over 20 years. My family is now in temporary housing until my home is rebuilt. I called AT&T ready to get all my services connected and reminded them about the landline number and was told “No Problem" again you can keep the number. Once the technician began to put the order for re-service in I was told that I needed to go to the home that was in a fire, retrieve the boxes or be charged over $700.00 (because of the cable boxes), but not to worry the landline number would not be affected, just call us back and your process will be continued. We went to the home retrieved the boxes sent them off,  and then was told, you can still have the number but their company need to have received the boxes first, call back in a week. I comply with all the rules and still I cannot have the number because I am now out of pre-fix area and during this time the number was disconnected, AT&T was aware of that when we called and informed them of the fire and then had our service re-installed at the temporary home. Even though I have several cell phones and tablet numbers with AT&T, my account when I log on still has my original address, and I am going back to the same home and keeping AT&T services maybe (???) AT&T won’t release the number. I am so heart broken. I have had that number for 20 years plus the cell phones numbers as well.  I have spent 3 weeks going back and forth with them, getting disconnected and transferred all over the place. (Although some of the customer service people was very helpful) the end result was " sorry mam, apologize for the wrong information but your number is gone) Not given to anyone else, you just can’t have it. When I ask if the number has been re-issued I am told no, but was told I need to open a U-Verse account in the area I lived in and then maybe I can get the number back. All I could do is cry. AT&T has given me a telephone number for EVERY DEVICE they issued to me I do not understand why I cannot use the number I've  had for 20 years,  transfer the number to a cell phone I have with their company now and is activated. But when a long standing Loyal customer request is to keep the number she has had with AT&T for over 20 year all you get is " I am sorry mam" there is NOTHING WE CAN DO.  I am sooo hurt.  These are the things that makes loyal customers want to switch service even when you have been with a carrier for longer that your children has been alive. I truly pray someone in complaints department reads this and do this customer a service. I have already lost everything my home and things in side. When I informed AT&T about the fire, the young man asked if I would be a returning customer I told him WITH OUT A DOUBT.   I am beginning to wonder if I have made the right decision. So many family members and personal financial institutions are connected to me with that number.

Thanks AT&T for all you do!!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @LachaunGll,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you on this issue. Be on the lookout for an E-mail response from us to your personal E-mail.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I want my old family home number back after many years and it is currently available. This is [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]. In the North Texas area, around Alvarado, Texas.

What can I do to ASAP this? Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

We had our home phone number for over 27 years with AT&T -Previously Southern Bell- in Atlanta,Ga.Lately the phone was only receiving calls from Telemarketers-Even though we are on a no call list- and Politicians running for office.Last Thursday we decided to disconnect it.We called AT&T and asked to disconnect,few hours later in the evening we had a second thought,why don't we keep that home phone for emergencies and for those who don't have our cell phone numbers.My wife called AT&T customer service trying to reconnect since it was few hours after the disconnection took place.The associate  and supervisor confirmed that there is nothing they can do ,the number is now gone on a list that won't be available before 30 days minimum.Late in the evening before midnight I called myself another 1-800 number for AT&T the guy I spoke with told me he handles AT&T U Verse but he gave me another 1-800- to call during day time and they only deal with Telephone lines.The next day Friday my wife called that 1-800 number ,the associate was very helpful and right away told her it will be reconnected the coming Tuesday.This morning my wife called from her Cell phone our old Home number and BOOM here we go our phone is back working again.

The moral of the story is,whenever you feel that the answer of an associate or a supervisor not convincing try another time with another person,maybe that particular person is going to solve your issue,no offense , "Nobody knows it all".Keep trying.Chuck

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Hello

sorry I have a question’

How? Or what way is it easier to get a old At&T number back? That I had like a year ago?

please please help!!!

I suffered a brain injury and that’s the number I remember and I would like to have it again!

Please please help me please

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Hello can anyone please help!!!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I'm not trying to get back my old phone number but keep it before install. I finally got my package deal with Direct TV and ATT Internet service and landline phone but their confirmation email included a new phone number. I've been trying to get a response from ATT CSRs but to no avail. I've yet to hear about an appoint for tech, (if any are coming at all). I was told I would need to buy a modem for both the phone and internet service. I knew about a modem for the PC but questioned the landline. CSR reaffirmed I needed for both. Lucking for me the Direct TV tech was with me through my conversation as witness. I did ask the CSR person about keeping my old number and he said he didn't know and I should ask the tech while he was here. It seemed strange at the time to me because as previously stated phone numbers are pre-decided at corporate not by field techs. 

Can any one help with keeping my old landline phone number in time for change over from Spectrum to ATT? 

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

5 years ago

So many people have tagged onto this old topic, I'd start a new one if I were you.  There's no much this forum is going to be able to do for you as we're customers also, we have no secret access to anything.  If you told them up front you wanted to port your number than you should have had them check then and there if your number was portable. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.