For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
KeenanTot's profile

• 

5 Messages

Monday, January 9th, 2023 4:40 AM

Home backup power for phone service

I’ve tried contacting support to try and get backup power for my digital phone service and not one agent knows what I’m talking about. My home phone service is connected via my ATT fiber gateway. Per FCC DA-18-1205 “PSHSB reminds providers of facilities-based fixed residential voice services that are not line-powered that, as of Feb. 13, 2019, they must offer for sale to subscribers at least one option for 24 hours of standby backup power for home equipment”. If there is a power outage, my phone would be out as well. Which department should I be contacting to get backup power for my gateway? I was given a number from the 800 support number to call. I called that number I was given only to be told to call this very same number. ATT customer service is incompetent. 

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

1 year ago

ATT has not provided a battery back up option since early 2015, then the standby usage was 4 hours.

You may purchase and place whatever UPS system you desire per ATT Terms of Service (TOS) you agreed to when establishing service. You will need to calculate the total energy needed including fiber equipment, gateway, and you house phones for 24 hours. I would recommend considering purchase a whole home system such as offered by Generac…https://www.generac.com/

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.HSIAAttTermsofService.html

d. Power and Battery Backup.

The AT&T Equipment may require electrical power from your premises to operate, which you are responsible for providing. If there is a gateway at your premises, AT&T will not provide an initial gateway battery backup unit or an initial backup battery. Any backup battery solution is your responsibility. You may choose to purchase battery backup for your AT&T Equipment from third party manufacturers or retailers. For more information and minimum specifications visit att.com/batterybackup.

You also agree to be solely responsible for determining when backup batteries for any AT&T Equipment require replacement and for replacing and recycling used batteries. You agree to read and follow all manufacturer or vendor directions for the replacement and recycling of backup batteries. For more information and minimum specifications visit att.com/batterybackup.

Note that AT&T Equipment without battery backup will not function in the event of a loss of customer-supplied power. This will disrupt your Internet Service as well as any additional services that use the AT&T Connection for transport (e.g. Voice over IP including e911) or require an internet connection to operate properly. AT&T will have no liability for loss of any service(s), whether provisioned by AT&T or a third party, in the event of interruption of customer-supplied power, with or without battery backup present in the AT&T equipment.

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

So you’re saying ATT doesn’t comply with an FCC mandate? 

https://www.fcc.gov/document/24-hour-home-backup-power-requirement

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

1 year ago

Learn about Battery Backups

Find the backup that fits your phone equipment

The right battery backup for you depends on the type of phone service you have. Review the options to identify your service and equipment type. Not sure what you have? Call us at 800.650.0954 for more help.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

1 year ago

@my thoughts  I found the above information after Googling a bit. The webpage is dated Dec. 2022 so it's looks new-ish.

So yes, AT&T does 'suggest' different BBUs for purchase depending on the equipment a customer has.  Prices are upwards of $600 which seems a little pricey to me.  I would think that if someone insists on have a BBU for their digital phone service (vs. a cell phone), they could shop around and find something more reasonable...but that's just me.

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

skeeterintexas, that’s the 800 number I called to inquire about getting backup power. I was told they don’t offer it and to get it elsewhere. When I brought up the FCC requirement that providers must offer backup power, the agent was confused and told me to call that same number. I told the agent the number they gave me is the same number I just called. Total incompetence. 

“…they must offer for sale to subscribers at least one option for 24 hours of standby backup power for home equipment”

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

1 year ago

Apparently you can order the proper BBU online.  No need to call anyone.

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

It’s a dead link for my equipment. And its via 3rd party. Not via ATT 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

1 year ago

Since AT&T does not sell or provide BBU for digital phone service, the offer of BBU will be via 3rd party vendors. 

I've had digital phone service for over 10 years.  The old gateway had the brick BBU.  The next one had an internal BBU and the latest one has no BBU so I just make sure my cell phone is always charged.

If it is necessary to have BBU for your home phone, do your homework and buy one that fits your needs.  I don't understand why you are depending on the direction of AT&T.  *shrug*

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

1 year ago

As @skeeterintexas and @my thoughts have stated why do you want to buy one from AT&T? You can get a 900ma which would be plenty for phone and modem for 100 bucks or so. Minuteman and APC are two decent brands. If you want to insist AT&T sell you a $600 one file an FCC complaint. 

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

1 year ago

The FCC site says they must provide for sale a BBU that last 24hrs, that would that a pretty large unit, depending on how much you're plugging into it that's why the $600. I think both Minuteman and APC offer a sizing chart for the number of watts being used. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.