KeenanTot's profile

• 

5 Messages

Monday, January 9th, 2023 4:40 AM

Home backup power for phone service

I’ve tried contacting support to try and get backup power for my digital phone service and not one agent knows what I’m talking about. My home phone service is connected via my ATT fiber gateway. Per FCC DA-18-1205 “PSHSB reminds providers of facilities-based fixed residential voice services that are not line-powered that, as of Feb. 13, 2019, they must offer for sale to subscribers at least one option for 24 hours of standby backup power for home equipment”. If there is a power outage, my phone would be out as well. Which department should I be contacting to get backup power for my gateway? I was given a number from the 800 support number to call. I called that number I was given only to be told to call this very same number. ATT customer service is incompetent. 

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

@spoom2 as per FCC, “they must offer for sale to subscribers at least one option for 24 hours of standby backup power for home equipment”. ATT is required to provide backup power. And I choose to go directly with ATT as a consumer. It is their obligation to sell an option for backup power. I’m not sure why you suggested a 900mA. It won’t be enough for 24 hours. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

Like I said file an FCC complaint. 

The FCC has statements that contradict that statement, FCC-15-98A1 states:

Additionally, we require all providers of facilities-based, fixed, voice residential service 
that is not line-powered to notify subscribers, at the point of sale and annually thereafter until September 
1, 2025, of the availability of backup power purchasing options, use conditions and effect on power 
source effectiveness, power source duration and service limitations, testing and monitoring, and 
replacement details.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

I’m not sure why you suggested a 900mA. It won’t be enough for 24 hours. 

I'd already stated that in a second post, the last one on the first page. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

1 year ago

In checking a modem, ONT and cordless phone system would last between 2 and 4 hours on a 900ma UPS. I'd get something like that and a small generator before I'd pay $600 or more for a battery backup. Plus, if it's a major outage all the equipment that requires power from your home to the CO would also be without power so your modem wouldn't work anyway. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.