For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

Monday, June 11th, 2018 4:01 PM

Upgrading your Browser from Edge

Browsers and OS' recommended by AT&T

Internet_Alert.png

To continue enjoying and maximizing your att.net mail experience, we ask that you please upgrade to a new version of your Web Browser.  In the near future, Edge (version 14 and older) will no longer be supported, therefore we ask that you upgrade to the latest Microsoft Edge Browser.  If you opt to continue using your existing Microsoft Edge Browser your current mail experience will revert to AT&T’s ‘Basic Mail’.

To upgrade, please click on the Edge browser download link below, once the page loads, select ‘Download’.

Microsoft - Edge Browser Download

Other Browser Downloads 

Learn more about your browser and compatible OS'.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

this is not what Microsoft told me when I read your comment to them.  They are still supporting it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

6 years ago

@keyskritter wrote:

this is not what Microsoft told me when I read your comment to them.  They are still supporting it. 

There is a distinct difference between Microsoft providing "support" for IE and Microsoft keeping IE up to date with other browsers.  They are releasing security patches for it, but very little else.  To quote Microsoft:

The latest features and platform updates will only be available in Microsoft Edge. We will continue to deliver security updates to Internet Explorer 11 through its supported lifespan. To ensure consistent behavior across Windows versions, we will evaluate Internet Explorer 11 bugs for servicing on a case by case basis.

IE was behind most other web browsers in terms of feature support and market share when Microsoft introduced Edge.  The situation has not gotten any better.  Speaking as a web developer, you should plan on getting off of IE.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Funny how experts can be so wrong! This IT expert with 25 years experience knows this has nothing to do with market share or features - it has to do with COST CUTTING by a Giant Corporation (AT&T). Google and especially Firefox are FAR cheaper to write code for because they are inherently inferior browsers with far fewer security features. High-end apps, such as medical records apps that must meet HIPAA requirements, NEVER support Chrome or especially Firefox (which is just a freebie shareware product) for this reason. IE was, and Edge now remains, the STANDARD by which browsers should meet.

Also important to note that Giant Corporate America, such as AT&T, seems to be only focused on those "with money" (but of course!) hence again due to cost cutting, write their code these days for ONLY the "latest and greatest" versions of everything, which means users must have a device/PC that came out in the last year, which means they are more well-to-do - the perfect customer!

This reply was prompted by my current version of Edge (41.16299.547.0, HTML version 16.16299) getting the message from AT&T that IT will no longer be supported! Wow, so I need to have a Windows 10 device produced in the last six months just to use AT&T/Yahoo email? While this is a sad trend in IT in America today, it seems to be so. Yahoo just got bought by Verizon, AT&T and Verizon both know they'll make the most money from users who buy new PCs/devices every year. Which boils down to just a bunch of b s for the MAJORITY of users. It's not about "market share" per se, it's about "market VALUE" make no mistake about it.

Oh, well, if AT&T/Yahoo wants to lose even more email customers than they apparently already have, so be it!

Personally, I won't use the childish high-school-grade-programming Google Chrome for anything - I don't want the world being able to track my every keystroke and have easy access to my work. Just junk if you ask me. Only became popular over the last two years because of OTHER Giant Corporations forcing it on us. Sad.

Oh, well, as long as it works on my phone, I'm good to go for awhile before I move all my email over to my existing Outlook accounts. Caveat emptor!

P.S. How much "experience" do you "experts" here have with AT&T and/or web programming? About two years? Maybe worked on a game app or two? Sorry - just don't cut the mustard. I have first-hand experience with quality, experienced programmers and developers being laid off so Giant Corporate America can hire cheap millennials who will work 60 hours a week while they learn on the job for pennies on the dollar of quality help. Oh, well. Good luck to you - you'll need it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

6 years ago

@TiredOfBigCorps wrote:

Funny how experts can be so wrong! This IT expert with 25 years experience knows this has nothing to do with market share or features - it has to do with COST CUTTING by a Giant Corporation (AT&T). Google and especially Firefox are FAR cheaper to write code for because they are inherently inferior browsers with far fewer security features. High-end apps, such as medical records apps that must meet HIPAA requirements, NEVER support Chrome or especially Firefox (which is just a freebie shareware product) for this reason. IE was, and Edge now remains, the STANDARD by which browsers should meet.

Also important to note that Giant Corporate America, such as AT&T, seems to be only focused on those "with money" (but of course!) hence again due to cost cutting, write their code these days for ONLY the "latest and greatest" versions of everything, which means users must have a device/PC that came out in the last year, which means they are more well-to-do - the perfect customer!

This reply was prompted by my current version of Edge (41.16299.547.0, HTML version 16.16299) getting the message from AT&T that IT will no longer be supported! Wow, so I need to have a Windows 10 device produced in the last six months just to use AT&T/Yahoo email? While this is a sad trend in IT in America today, it seems to be so. Yahoo just got bought by Verizon, AT&T and Verizon both know they'll make the most money from users who buy new PCs/devices every year. Which boils down to just a bunch of b s for the MAJORITY of users. It's not about "market share" per se, it's about "market VALUE" make no mistake about it.

Oh, well, if AT&T/Yahoo wants to lose even more email customers than they apparently already have, so be it!

Personally, I won't use the childish high-school-grade-programming Google Chrome for anything - I don't want the world being able to track my every keystroke and have easy access to my work. Just junk if you ask me. Only became popular over the last two years because of OTHER Giant Corporations forcing it on us. Sad.

Oh, well, as long as it works on my phone, I'm good to go for awhile before I move all my email over to my existing Outlook accounts. Caveat emptor!

P.S. How much "experience" do you "experts" here have with AT&T and/or web programming? About two years? Maybe worked on a game app or two? Sorry - just don't cut the mustard. I have first-hand experience with quality, experienced programmers and developers being laid off so Giant Corporate America can hire cheap millennials who will work 60 hours a week while they learn on the job for pennies on the dollar of quality help. Oh, well. Good luck to you - you'll need it.

Sigh.  Yes, it is about cost.  The cost of developing for a browser platform that is rapidly becoming irrelevant because no one is using it.  I don't know how long before Microsoft drops Edge, just like they've dropped support for every version of Windows Phone they've ever produced.

Your assertion that applications that demand HIPAA compliance won't support Chrome is ludicrous.

I've got the experience with seeing experienced web developers off-shored for, erm, less-expensive, developers, but those experienced web developers hated IE and loved Chrome, so your point holds little water.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.