Updating your Security Questions and Wireless Number on your account
Learn how to update your security questions and wireless number on your account
Making sure your account is up to date is important for your security and getting access back into your account if you forget your password.
- It’s a good idea to update your security questions and answers frequently to keep your account secure.
- If you forget your password, you can sign in by answering your security questions or resetting the password using your wireless number. There are two ways to set up a wireless number. One for customers who have an AT&T Wireless number and one for those who do not.
Please note, if you have not created a recovery option, you cannot access your email until one is created.
To tie your wireless number for password resets
If you don’t have an AT&T Wireless number
- Go to Profile, then Contact info.
- On the Phone tab, select Edit in the Billing phone numbers section.
- Enter your wireless number as the primary or secondary number.
- Check the box next to Use this number to recover your user ID or reset your password.
- Select Save.
- Complete any confirmation steps sent to your wireless number within 24 hours. Text message rates and other charges may apply. Check with your plan and provider.
Please note: it may take 30-days before you can use a non-AT&T wireless number as a recovery option
AT&T Wireless Customers
- Go to your myAT&T Profile. Sign in, if asked.
- Scroll to Sign-in info.
- Select Edit or Remove for your Recovery phone
- Edit your details:
- If assigning or changing a number, enter the verification code sent to the number.
- If removing a number, follow the prompts.
- Save your changes
Note: Not an AT&T wireless number? Text message rates and other charges may apply. Check with your plan and provider.
Don't Have A Wireless Number?
It is important to connect your wireless number to your email account. Not only does it secure your email, but it also gives you the ability to easily recover your password. If you do not have a wireless number, you can enter 111111111 to bypass the message. You will need to enter 111111111 every time you sign in.
If you get a wireless number later, we highly recommend updating your email account with it. Please note, without a recovery email or wireless number, AT&T may be unable to perform a password reset for free email accounts.
To update your security questions
- Go to Profile > Sign in information.
- In the Online security questions section, select Change security questions.
- Complete and save your security questions and answers.
Have a free email?
Visit our Wireless Number Reset page. Scroll down to learn how to add a wireless number to a free account.
30-day waiting period for help with password reset. AT&T will keep your wireless number on file for 30 days to prevent unauthorized access to your account. After the 30 day validation period, you can use your wireless number as a password retrieval method.
David, AT&T Community Specialist