Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help with your equipment?
tommy99's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Wednesday, September 21st, 2016 2:51 PM

U-verse internet unreliable

This might seem like a rant (sort of) but does anyone else have these issues with U-verse internet and phone (I don't have U-verse TV).

Back in 9/14, I stepped into an ATT store to upgrade my mobile phone from BB to Samsung. While at the store the rep said I'd be better off upgrading my internet from DSL to U-verse and I believed him. After countless hours in this forum in the beginning, I'm now at another point of disappointment. So as not to make this a long story, in short, I'm disappointed in how U-verse is performing.

1. I don't see any speed performance when I'm in game mode

2. There is a lot more "buffering" moments where my computer screen just freeze (playing online). My screen does not freeze for games not connected to internet. The computer has wired access and not wireless. The TV also freezes/buffering when I'm on Netflix going through a Roku box (using internet as access), the TV has a wired access and not streaming via wireless.

3. The internet access loses connection sporadically (and at important times) and it's frustrating as I have to reboot the modem and wait ~2 min to get back access

#3 happens almost daily at the worst possible times

4. And because U-verse is tied to my phone service also, my calls are lost during these times too... so for my pressing work related calls, I almost never use the U-verse phone line and use my mobile instead (so why do I still have a land line?)

The internet eventually comes back online by itself but the wait is way longer than the time rebooting the modem.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@tommy99  On all Uverse RGs, IPv6 causes disconnects, rebooting and browsing problems (Internet).

Disable IPv6 in all Uverse RGs info here:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Equipment/Slow-connection-using-Google-Facebook-and-certain-sites-after/m-p/3860323#M382

If a 2wire/Pace/Arris RG (3800/3801/5031/5268) click the Go here link at top of the orange globe on the page of the link above.

Make sure to also disable IPv6 in Win local area and wireless connection properties.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

I'm not specifically having slow speed or browsing problems.

The problem is that my modem's Broadband/Service/Phone 1 all go from solid green (working) to off (not working) and my browser will then display the ATT debug page. At this point, I can wait it out which can take anywhere from 5 min to 30 min to come back online. The faster route is for me to unplug the power and plug it back to reboot the modem. Some times I have to reboot the modem more than once to get internet access back online, most of the time it takes 1 reboot to recover.

Could this be an issue with the my modem being "flaky" or is it the U-verse line or something else?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

It could be a number of things. The rg, the inside wiring, outside wiring, the vrad serving you. You could call in for a tech visit, use the myatt app to run a line check, or pm ATTU-VerseCare. Definitely need to have your service checked. And turn off IPv6.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, I'll run the myatt app to check.

I've already turned off IPv6 from the router.

I'll do a follow up post if I get resolve or improvement from turning off IPv6.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I find AT&T's commercial touting 99% reliability laughable at best. There are days like today (a beautiful, warm, sunny day with no thunderstorms and no wind) that I spend more of my evening rebooting my WAP and gateway modem than I do actually watching a TV program. The picture freezes, then I get a lost signal error. The WiFi goes down as well, so I have to switch my phone to 4G in order to access myAT&T on the Internet and try to troubleshoot the problem. I go through this at least 2 or 3 times a month (sometimes more). Oh, but don't let me be late on a payment ; I'll get a reminder message on my TV screen the day after the payment was due. Why am I paying over $200/month for shoddy service again?

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

Ok, follow up to my original post of unreliable internet. I've turned off IPv6, got the myatt app and ran that and all came up "roses" (no issues), it has been ok with little to no interruptions until today. Between 1pm to 3pm (so far), my access has been up for 15 to 30 min and then it goes down and I have to reboot the router. If I wait, it's waiting over 10 minutes. I'm typing as fast as I can in hope that the access does not go down while I'm typing. I checked local down times and none, all is good, except for MY access. I think I want DSL back with the slower speeds, at least that is reliable internet access and I get my landline phone back. My phone is tied to uverse so when that is down, no phone. I know, this sounds like ranting but this unreliable access is not liking me wfh at all.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

@tommy99 you may need to run the myATT app when the service goes down, so that the automated tests can see the trouble. if it gets tested while its up and working then it wont find a problem. The other alternative is to talk to Uverse customer service and get a ticket opened manually. But with what you have explained there is definitely some issues that will need a tech to resolve. Normal service is not like that.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the input, I'll see if I can catch the downtime in time to fully run the app. Last few times in Sept, I ran the app and the service came back up before the analysis ended so no usable data.I will keep trying so that when I do talk to a tech, there will be useful data to present. I work in CS so I know that without viable data to back up a claim, there is little that can be done.

Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.