Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help with your equipment?
WallE2's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2015 7:41 PM

Is Pace 5268ac capable of bridge or IP passthrough mode?

Can the Pace 5268ac be used in "bridge mode" or "IP passthrough mode" so that an Apple Airport Extreme base station can run behind it transmitting the wifi signal?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

6 years ago

Your description is essentially correct.  However, "Port Forwarding" and "IP Passthrough" are fundamentally different features and act independently.

Port Forwarding takes a port number and an internal IP address and causes any traffic for that port that arrives at the WAN interface of the Gateway to the internal IP address.  I believe this processing happens before, i.e. takes precedence over, the IP Passthrough traffic processing.

IP Passthrough does multiple things:

1) It causes the indicated device to receive the public IP address from the Gateway as its IP address when it makes a DHCP request.

2) It causes all unsolicited traffic (that make it through the simple IP traffic filters, and Port Forwarding) to the IP Passthrough device

3) It passes all traffic from the IP Passthrough device to its WAN interface without further processing.

And, yes, while IP Passthrough is enabled, you can still have additional devices that connect to the Gateway via Wi-Fi (unless you disable that) or the other Ethernet ports, and be NAT clients as if there were no IP Passthrough device.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@WallE2  Might try this from Computer Joe:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected.

I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the info Chris,

ATT was here yesterday to actually install a Pace 5268ac router for an upgrade to 45mbps, and I asked if this could be done in a pass through mode, since previously ATT did it on the current 2wire 3800HGW router that is in place.  But after the Tech heard and saw my set up he immediately called ATT IT and his Supervisor and they both said no it can't be done.  So I guess I'll have to get them back out and have them set up the Pace 5268ac the ATT way so that I can get the "Power 45mbps" and then go in and change the settings myself and hope everything works.

Still wondering if anyone out there has gotten the Pace 5268ac to work in front of Apple Airport Extreme base station in a pass through mode kind of way?

-Dan

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

9 years ago

The PACE 5268ac should be able to be set up identically to the 3800.  They tell me that the UI is even supposed to be pretty much the same.

U-verse premise techs are not generally networking gurus.  Neither are their supervisors.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I installed a TP-LINK 1900AC and set it to DMZplus mode on my Pace 5268AC. Everything seems to be working fine except for now my L2TP VPN won't connect and gives me the error:

the l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error dmzplus mode

I've seen several threads that say it's impossible to set the 5268 in to "Bridge Mode". Are there any other options?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I can confirm that the DMZ method works perfectly. My setup is a little different though. I have my internal router, a Linksys WRT1900ac that only handles routing and openVPN capabilites. I do not use it for wifi. I have 2 Ubiquiti LR AC access points plugged into my Linksys that control my wireless network. At this point, the Pace 5268AC passes everything though to my internal router, which then handles DHCP and the firewall. For a VPN to work, though, you must open all neccessary ports on your internal router, not the Pace 5268AC

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

You dont need to use bridge mode for this. Just turn off wifi on the Pace 5268 and plug your airport extreme into the 5268 and you'll be good. Your Pace 587 will still do the routing and DCHP, but the airport extreme broadcast the wireless network. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Thanks for the info, my set up is identical to yours 5268 with a wrt 1900ac although I do run wifi from it as well.  I have set up dmz from the 5268 but can't seem to get great throughput from my 1900ac.  Was there any special config for the 1900. Tks Pat

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

The answer is YES!  I just did it (with ATT support).  Step one, have the ATT router..(say ethernet port 1 connected to your WAN interface on YOUR Router).  Switch cables or have a known lan connection to YOUR router.  Get the "DHCP IP" from your WAN interport on your ROUTER (will likely be 192.168.1.x - knowing the ATT Pace 5268AC's default is 192.168.1.254).  On the FIREWALL page - "Applications, Pinholes and DMZ at the seciton "1" area there will be a Cell window where you can type in the known WAN address of YOUR router (192.168.1.x).  Put that IP address in the window and click the button to the right called CHOOSE.  Scroll down to Options "2" area and at the bottom there is a radio button to forward ALL traffic to your (it says computer, but we know it's your router). Click the save button.  If you look at the STATUS tab on the ATT FIREWALL Status tab now, you'll see ALL/ALL inbound traffic to be directed to your ROUTER.  Turn off your router now.  Reboot the ATT router PACE 5268AC and wait until you see the "Service" light come on blinking actively.  This will take oh....2 minutes? Once the Service light is on....turn on YOUR router.....once booted.......log in and you should see the WAN interface with the PUBLIC IP on it!!!!!!  Yours truly......

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

The answer is YES!  I just did it (with ATT support).  Step one, have the ATT router..(say ethernet port 1 connected to your WAN interface on YOUR Router).  Switch cables or have a known lan connection to YOUR router.  Get the "DHCP IP" from your WAN interport on your ROUTER (will likely be 192.168.1.x - knowing the ATT Pace 5268AC's default is 192.168.1.254).  On the FIREWALL page - "Applications, Pinholes and DMZ at the seciton "1" area there will be a Cell window where you can type in the known WAN address of YOUR router (192.168.1.x).  Put that IP address in the window and click the button to the right called CHOOSE.  Scroll down to Options "2" area and at the bottom there is a radio button to forward ALL traffic to your (it says computer, but we know it's your router). Click the save button.  If you look at the STATUS tab on the ATT FIREWALL Status tab now, you'll see ALL/ALL inbound traffic to be directed to your ROUTER.  Turn off your router now.  Reboot the ATT router PACE 5268AC and wait until you see the "Service" light come on blinking actively.  This will take oh....2 minutes? Once the Service light is on....turn on YOUR router.....once booted.......log in and you should see the WAN interface with the PUBLIC IP on it!!!!!!  Yours truly......

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.