For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
frostcall's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 10:06 PM

How do I put my NVG589 in bridge mode?

Overview

Most people don't need advanced features that personally owned routers offer and will be just fine using the NVG589 and turning off their personally owned router.  But if you're like me (and I know I am!) then you are probably reading this thread because you have ip cameras, personal clouds, photo servers, guest wifi, VPN's, xbox, QOS settings, et al.  I have an ASUS RT-N66U , a VIP2250, and a wireless reciever with a WAP; but your settings should be similar. 

The NVG589 does not have a simple 'Bridge mode' setting so you will need to get into weeds to get this working.  I hope you're ready.

First Steps

Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG589.

Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG589 except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop.

Write down the MAC address of your personal router (the WAN MAC address if you see different ones for LAN and WAN)

Settings on the NVG589

• Login to your NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
  • Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'.  Your password is on the side of the modem.
  • If your 'Device IPv4 Address' is the same subnet as your local router, I suggest changing it.  I changed mine to 192.169.2.254 but you can stick with whatever you like / need.  My subnet Mask remains at 255.255.255.0
  • Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.169.2.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
  • Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.169.2.5, Just a few more than the Start Address.  We need these for any WAP extenders for wifi TV's.  It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point.
  • Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
  • Go to 'Home Network'  then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off.  You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
  • Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'.  Disable Packet Filters.  Again, we want our router to do the work.
  • Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
  • Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'.  For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.169.2.1.
  • For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Passthrough' (I had to do it in this reverse order to be able to type for some reason)
  • For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
  • Type in the MAC address for your router under 'Manual Entry', lowercase is fine.
  • Click SAVE.  It will tell you that it needs to reboot.  Hang on for a minute.
  • Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
  • Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes.

Personal Router Settings.

• Unplug your laptop and plug in your personal router while the NVG589 reboots.  
  • Plug your laptop into your personal router and login to it.  For me, it was 192.168.1.1 (hence why I changed things above)
  • For the ASUS RT-N66U, I had to go to my WAN settings, then 'Internet Connection'.
  • Change 'WAN Connection Type' to 'Automatic IP'.  This will give your personal router the external IP of the NVG589 and is the key to making this whole thing work. Some folks will have to manually enter in an IP and this can be found under the 'Broadband - Status' section of the NVG589 settings.  If you don't have 'automatic IP' then I feel bad for you since you will have to manually change this every time your IP changes.
  • 'Enable WAN', 'Enable NAT' and 'Enable UPnP' is all set to YES for me.  
  • I recomend Setting your own DNS server.  I use Google's but you use whatever you like.  Google's is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • 'Account Setting - Authentication' is 'None'.
  • There are no Special requirements from ISP at the bottom.
  • Hit APPLY at the bottom and your router will reboot.

I also changed settings in my IPTV under LAN:

• Profile was None.
  • Choose IPTV STB port, I set to LAN3 & LAN4.  I plugged my U-Verse WAP for the wireless reciver into the NVG589 and I plugged the ethernet cable going to the VIP2250 into LAN3 on my personal router.  I'm really not sure if this was necessary but I'm having 0 issues with this setup.  I initially tried putting the WAP on my personal router but had issues so I stuck it back on the NVG589 and it's fine.  I could probably just plug the VIP2250 into the NVG589 as well but I'm just enjoying the small victory of using my personal router for now.  
  • Hit apply at the bottom, another possible reboot.

At this point, I checked the internet and everything was working great through the router.  I restarted by 2 TV boxes (the VIP and the wifi ones).  Everything is peachy.

Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

EDIT to update WAP configuration. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

The original guide above didnt work for me so here is what I did to make every thing work on connecting my Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R Router to my AT&T U-Verse NVG510/NVG589

First Steps
Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG510/ NVG589 (I suggest plugging into the yellow slot marked 1 on the NVG510/NVG589)
Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG510/NVG589 (especially ethernet feed line plugged into green terminal) except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop or computer.
Write down the MAC address of your personal router (you can usually find this on the bottom side of your rt-n66u/rt-n66r router)

Settings on the NVG510/NVG589
Login to your NVG510/NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'. Your password is on the side of the modem.
Your Device IPv4 Address' cannot be the same subnet as your local router (Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) that you are going to connect a little later, so we are going to leave this the way it is but change our personal router ( Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) settings later, so your Device IPv4 Address should remain 192.168.1.254. Your subnet Mask also should remain at 255.255.255.0
Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.168.1.1. It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point
Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
Go to 'Home Network' then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off. You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'. Disable Packet Filters. Again, we want our router to do the work.
Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'. For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.168.1.1. (For the next three steps I kept having to play around with the entering sequence to get all the settings in the below format)
For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Default Server'
For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
For the Passthrough Fixed MAC Address box type in the MAC Address for your personal router (Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) that you wrote down earlier, make sure you put a colon between every two characters (example 74:D0:2B:D0, and etc it will be about 12 characters)
Click SAVE. It will tell you that it needs to reboot. Hang on for a minute.
Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Save first and after confirmation then go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes. If you don't see this reboot option click save button then after save confirmation unplug power cord from NVG510/NVG589 for about 2 mins and then plug power cord back in along with the broadband cord into the green terminal.

Personal Router Settings (Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R):

Unplug your ethernet/network cable coming from the NVG510/NVG589 to your laptop or computer, but make sure you unplug it from the computer end and not the NVG510/NVG589 end now while the NVG510/ NVG589 reboots,
Get another ethernet/network cable and plug it into the yellow numbered 1 LAN port on your personal router (Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) then plug the other end into your laptop/computer and log into your personal router setup menu by entering 192.168.1.1 into your internet browser field a username and password window will pop up and if you havent changed it, your username and password will be admin, after signing in go to the main home screen by clicking the house in the top right hand corner you will be prompted to setup a few things to your preferences and afterwards you will be transferred to the main home screen on the main home screen you will see a box on your left hand side that says advanced settings and you will see a tab under this called LAN click this then afterwards click the LAN IP tab on the top left click in the IP address box and change the 192.168.1.1 IP address to 192.168.2.1 and click apply. Press the power button in the back of the Asus router to turn the router off , now take the ethernet/network cable end that you unplugged from the computer earlier the one with the other end thats still plugged into the NVG510/NVG589, plug this ethernet/network cable end into your personal router ( Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) in the blue WAN (Internet) port spot and reboot the NVG510/ NVG589 by unplugging and plugging power cable. Turn the power back on to your personal Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R Router. Now in your internet browser type in Http://192.168.2.1 sign in again if needed to get to your personal router homepage then click on the quick internet setup tab on the top left of the homepage and follow the prompts when finished you should have internet access through your Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R router, at this point you can disconnect the cable from your computer and from the yellow numbered 1 LAN Port in the back of your Asus router. Lastly reboot NVG510/NVG589 by unplugging and re-plugging in power cable and for the Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R Router reboot by pressing power button on back once to turn off and once again to turn back on. After both devices fully reboots you should be able to connect to the Wi-Fi network.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the detailed step by step.
Did any this effect TV functions?
I have multiple set top boxes connected via Ethernet cabling & 2 wireless set top boxes (I'd leave NVG589 wifi on for these).

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Jheyer wrote:
Thanks for the detailed step by step.
Did any this effect TV functions?
I have multiple set top boxes connected via Ethernet cabling & 2 wireless set top boxes (I'd leave NVG589 wifi on for these).

This will not affect any TV functions, so long as you keep the TV Receivers connected directly to the NVG 589, which I would strongly suggest.

Your two wireless set top boxes do not connect to the NVG 589's wireless, but to a separate WAP installed just for that purpose.  You should leave that WAP connected directly to the NVG 589 as well.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have a asus rt-ac68u and I cant get the DVR working. Wirless receivers work fine but the DVR wont work. I left the IP on the NVG589 192.168.1.254 and I changed the Asus to 192.168.2.1. I am not sure if I missed something. I have the ethernet cable for the DVR and the wirless for the TV receivers in the NVG589. Everything works including port forwarding but the DVR receiver. Thanks for any help.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

9 years ago

If the DVR is connected directly to the NVG 589, your Asus shouldn't make any difference.

What does your DVR do that you have summarized as "won't work?"  Any messages?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

It sits at the att uverse blue screen with the circle at the bottom right.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Well guys I have read this post twice to make sure I'm not missing anything. I am trying to connect a netgear wnr3500 router behind the nvg589, only reason is because the nvg589 does not support DLNA. I store all movies, music, and home videos on my server. I stream to LG tv and ps3, they only work via dlna media server. After configure the nvg589 in pass through and connect my netgear I cannot get main dvr to work but other tv's work. I followed these directions:

First Steps
Make sure you have a laptop or a computer that you can connect directly into the NVG510/ NVG589 (I suggest plugging into the yellow slot marked 1 on the NVG510/NVG589)
Unplug all ethernet cables from the NVG510/NVG589 (especially ethernet feed line plugged into green terminal) except for the one going into the aforementioned laptop or computer.
Write down the MAC address of your personal router (you can usually find this on the bottom side of your rt-n66u/rt-n66r router)

Settings on the NVG510/NVG589
Login to your NVG510/NVG589 by going to 192.168.1.254
Go to 'Home Network' then 'Subnets & DHCP'. Your password is on the side of the modem.
Your Device IPv4 Address' cannot be the same subnet as your local router (Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) that you are going to connect a little later, so we are going to leave this the way it is but change our personal router ( Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) settings later, so your Device IPv4 Address should remain 192.168.1.254. Your subnet Mask also should remain at 255.255.255.0
Change 'DHCPv4 Start Address' to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your above Device IPv4 address is but with a 1 at the end instead of .254)
Change 'DHCPv4 End Address' to 192.168.1.1. It's important that you only have the laptop plugged into the ethernet at this point
Click 'SAVE' at the bottom.
Go to 'Home Network' then 'Wireless' and turn wireless off. You want to use the wifi on your own router right?
Go to 'Firewall' then ' 'Packet Filter'. Disable Packet Filters. Again, we want our router to do the work.
Make sure you don't have any of your own settings turned on in 'NAT/Gaming' (don't worry if you see 1 in there already that you can't delete).
Go to 'Firewall' then 'IP Passthrough'. For 'Default Server Internal Address', select or type in 192.168.1.1. (For the next three steps I kept having to play around with the entering sequence to get all the settings in the below format)
For 'Allocation Mode' select 'Default Server'
For 'Passthrough Mode', select 'DHCPS-Fixed'
For the Passthrough Fixed MAC Address box type in the MAC Address for your personal router (Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) that you wrote down earlier, make sure you put a colon between every two characters (example 74:3f: .. and etc it will be about 12 characters)
Click SAVE. It will tell you that it needs to reboot. Hang on for a minute.
Go to 'Firewall Advanced' at the top and turn everything OFF.
Near the top of your screen, you should see an option telling you to reboot the router. Save first and after confirmation then go ahead and do this now. It takes about 2 minutes. If you don't see this reboot option click save button then after save confirmation unplug power cord from NVG510/NVG589 for about 2 mins and then plug power cord back in along with the broadband cord into the green terminal.

Personal Router Settings (Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R):

Unplug your ethernet/network cable coming from the NVG510/NVG589 to your laptop or computer, but make sure you unplug it from the computer end and not the NVG510/NVG589 end now while the NVG510/ NVG589 reboots,
Get another ethernet/network cable and plug it into the yellow numbered 1 LAN port on your personal router (Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) then plug the other end into your laptop/computer and log into your personal router setup menu by entering 192.168.1.1 into your internet browser field a username and password window will pop up and if you havent changed it, your username and password will be admin, after signing in go to the main home screen by clicking the house in the top right hand corner you will be prompted to setup a few things to your preferences and afterwards you will be transferred to the main home screen on the main home screen you will see a box on your left hand side that says advanced settings and you will see a tab under this called LAN click this then afterwards click the LAN IP tab on the top left click in the IP address box and change the 192.168.1.1 IP address to 192.168.2.1 and click apply. Press the power button in the back of the Asus router to turn the router off , now take the ethernet/network cable end that you unplugged from the computer earlier the one with the other end thats still plugged into the NVG510/NVG589, plug this ethernet/network cable end into your personal router ( Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R) in the blue WAN (Internet) port spot and reboot the NVG510/ NVG589 by unplugging and plugging power cable. Turn the power back on to your personal Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R Router. Now in your internet browser type in Http://192.168.2.1 sign in again if needed to get to your personal router homepage then click on the quick internet setup tab on the top left of the homepage and follow the prompts when finished you should have internet access through your Asus Rt-N66U/Rt-N66R router, at this point you can disconnect the cable from your computer and from the yellow numbered 1 LAN Port in the back of your Asus router. Lastly reboot NVG510/NVG589 by unplugging and re-plugging in power cable and for the Asus RT-N66U/RT-N66R Router reboot by pressing power button on back once to turn off and once again to turn back on. After both devices fully reboots you should be able to connect to the Wi-Fi network.

I loose Internet connection and it says dns server is the issue. Anyone have any tips? I have cable from Lan port one from nvg to Wan port on netgear. Netgear gets Internet, then I connect all uverse boxes to the nvg589 everything else ( lg tv, ps3) to the netgear. Am I missing something?
Thanks

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

I have followed the instructions as suggested on https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-put-the-Motorola-NVG589-in-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/m-p/3552057#M39255

as well as some of the alternative setups people have suggested in replies but I am unable to get any connection through my router. 

When hardwired to the NVG589 my internet works fine but when I connect the NVG589 LAN port to the WAN port on my ASUS AC66U I do not getting any internet connection. Is there a possibility that the WAN port is faulty on the AC66U? I do not know if this is the issue or how to check it, but normally when I connect the NVG589 LAN port to a LAN port on the ASUS AC66U the ETHERNET light on the NVG589 lights up. When I connect it to the WAN port on the AC66U the ETHERNET port on the NVG589 does not light up. Not sure if this is the issue, but I have followed the instructions and am still unable to setup bridge mode and get internet through my router. Please assist and I thank any help in advance. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

@trouble11 wrote:

I have followed the instructions as suggested on https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-put-the-Motorola-NVG589-in-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/m-p/3552057#M39255

as well as some of the alternative setups people have suggested in replies but I am unable to get any connection through my router. 

When hardwired to the NVG589 my internet works fine but when I connect the NVG589 LAN port to the WAN port on my ASUS AC66U I do not getting any internet connection. Is there a possibility that the WAN port is faulty on the AC66U? I do not know if this is the issue or how to check it, but normally when I connect the NVG589 LAN port to a LAN port on the ASUS AC66U the ETHERNET light on the NVG589 lights up. When I connect it to the WAN port on the AC66U the ETHERNET port on the NVG589 does not light up. Not sure if this is the issue, but I have followed the instructions and am still unable to setup bridge mode and get internet through my router. Please assist and I thank any help in advance. 

As a first step (if you haven't already), try removing and reconnecting power to the 589 after you connect the Asus to it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.