For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
dbaber's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, August 16th, 2013 3:28 PM

Create an additional network

My house is big and we have an additional apartment built in top of the garage for recreation which is several yards away from the main house. We have a u-verse TV box installed here so we can watch TV but we don't have Internet (the wifi signal is really weak and some devices, like ipod, cannot even pickup the signal) We want to create an additional network using a Linksys wireless router and install a computer for gaming and Internet. The idea is to connect the router to a RCA modem (previously used for COMCAST cable) that I have and then plug this one to a in/out/tap splitter with the TV box and then to the main line that comes to the apartment. I tried I can still watch TV, but the modem doesn't pick the Internet signal.
Anyone?

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

dbaber - You are mixing apples & oranges. What you tried does not work. But, sounds like the U-verse STB is connected COAX. If this is the case, you can connect your computer or blue ray or any such device via a cat5 cable connected to the network jack on the STB. This is good for only one more device, Don't try to build a network off it.

If you want a network you need one of the following -
Pick up the wireless signal and add a repeater.
Run cat5 out to the garage & distribute. Don't change the TV.
Add a splitter on the COAX at the garage with an HPNA adapter to change it to cat5 & set up your network.
You may need advice from more knowledgeable people on distributing to multiple devices in the garage. In the meantime plug in to the STB.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes the STB is connected coax to the wall. I tried first method with a laptop connected via cat5 to the STB, no problem, I got internet so I could connect the desktop computer. First question. If I can get connection to the laptop, why is not working for the router? I mean, I connect the Linksys to the STB, and then join the router network succesfully but without internet access.

My goal is to connect the wireless router to the internet and then connect PC to router with cat5, and the rest of the devices wireless

For the other methods:
-  Adding a repeater (I show some models online and come with at least one ethernet port) will rely in wireless connection and I would like max speed for my PC (I don't know if I'm wrong) and I don't know if I can connect the router to the ethernet port and get internet connection (same reason I don't get it when connecting it to the STB)
-  Run cat5 is messy for me right now
-  The splitter idea using HPNA adapter sound good. But I know know if I completly understood the setup. I guess from wall to splitter, the one to STB the other to HPNA adapter. Then hook the router to the adapter and again, would the router work?

Thank you again

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

dbaber - I provided all I know on this subject in my first message. I see that adding another router can be complicated & I have not needed to do it, so I do not know details. YOu will need to wait for an expert in that area to read your post.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I hope someone that faced this type of problem or set up can through some light too 😉

I have a phone jack plate on the wall. I guess is working (I didn't built the house, but I saw the box where the coax comes to the house it has phone/network cable too) I wonder if AT&T can add another piece of equipment name it router, acces point, bridge or whatever to it to extend the signal/network so I can use wired and wireless inside this apartment.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Problem solved. Simple solution using existing hardware.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.