For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
skysi51's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 2:10 AM

Wi-Fi range extender for U-Verse Internet

I have U-Verse services and while the wi-fi connection with the current gateway is pretty good in the same room, it's pretty lousy in the basement of my house. It's half of the spped I have upstares or even less sometimes. I've looked for extenders on amazon and came accross a couple highly rated ones. I'm just looking for those who are using extenders and could give me an advice based on their experience. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I bought one of these and even though I had a great signal it would not alow me sign on to the internet no matter what I did

So I called netgear and they told me that they would have to get on my computer and that the charges would be at the least 99.00 for 12 mos worth of services. I dont want to pay them for anything BUT I do need to sign on to the internet

Is that something that ATT can help with if I call them?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@gigi56 - Att is going to want to send you to their version of the geek squad with similar charges.

There is a lot of good stuff inthis thread. I posted in #12 about WPS.

That is how I connected mine. It created the same name with a .ext & seems to work fine to access the internet.

What devices are you trying to connect with?  In your settings, do you see the name & try to sign on? I think it uses the same password.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

YES   I was able to connect the -ext    and the signal was good but it would not allow me on the internet...even though I was connected

Net Gear said that probley they needed to change some stuff in my WIFI ATT box...Arris

Why isnt any simple anymore   🙂

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@gigi56 - DNS gives you access to the web. I believe the standard att DNS is  -

http://192.168.1.254

In my computer I & many others use google - 8.8.8.8 or open DNS. Using one of these has solved many internest access problems.

I see in my iphone - settings wi-fi u-verse RG info icon it is set to the192. .. number.

same for the .ext network.

Look at yours - it should be populated with the att number. If it is try the google number.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

DNS just resolves names. You can access the Internet without a DNS resolver if you use the IP address. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

I had the same issue when I installed my new Netgear EX6100 extender after my gateway was upgraded.  It turnes out that the Netgear did not use the DHCP from the Uverse gateway and assigned itself a different DNS and default gateway that was different then the Uverse gateway.  Once I manually changed the DNS and default gateway in the extender to use the gateway's DNS and default gateway IP address, then i was able to get to the internet. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you
I changed to a different brand and didn't have a single problem getting it to work 
Work great

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

What wifi extender did you purchase? I am needing to add an extender to my fathers Arris NVG599. I am totally stressed about purchasing one that would require all of these needed changes to make it all work together. I am not techy and this thread is a major stress out for the basic computer user. Thanks for any suggestions you want to offer. Heather

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

I installed the Netgear AC750 Model EX6100 extender.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

We Got a D-Link DPA-1320 repeater that just plugs into the wall - set up was OK - it may take you a few tries, but follow the directions and you will get it.  That helped a little bit but not enough for the size of house we have. We ended up doing a hard wired system called Unifi - and it is fabulous!  We put in 3 units and we get wi-fi in the backyard and garage now, as well as upstairs in all the bedrooms.  I had someone else set it up - but it didn't look hard to do.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.