For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rjb_1's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Monday, May 9th, 2011 4:45 PM

UDP Traffic flooding with Airport Express behind switch

Hi there - I'm hoping someone can help me solve an issue with my AT&T Uverse internet setup.  

First a little background; Our AT&T service comes into our guest house/office to the AT&T router/gateway, and is then fed via a hard line from the RG into our house to an AT&T supplied Netgear GS108 switch which then feeds a number of STBs.  We then have an Apple Airport Express connected to this switch which feeds the house computers wirelessly.

When I first set this up, I set up the AEX incorrectly in a double NAT configuration - I would much prefer to have it in bridge mode to allow smoother access between all parts of my network, but when I put the AEX into bridge mode (the 'correct' setting), the computers on the AEX wireless become completely flooded by UDP traffic if any of the STBs are on and especially if they're recording.

Apparently the RG can't implement IGMP through the Netgear switch?  How can I get the AEX into bridge mode but get the RG to implement IGMP through the Netgear switch?

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@DanSaintAndre As I posted in your other post, your switch does not have 802.1p, needed for Uverse IPTV.  Odd, cause many Gigabit switches have 802.1p. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

9 years ago

@DanSaintAndre wrote:

I cannot get UVERSE video to work through managed switches !!

My 589-gateway is connected to a Netgear GS716T managed switch. This is a 16-port, business grade switch.  The switch then connects through a structured wiring patch panel to the house CAT6 wires and wall plates.  UVERSE set-boxes are then connected to the wall plates.

In two locations,  the wall plate connects to a Netgear GS108T managed switch.  That is an 8-port, business grade switch.  One such site is my home-office where printers, storage, and desktop workstations connect to the LAN.  In addition, there is a UVERSE set-box for home-office TV viewing.

My UVERSE DVR is connected directly to the gateway and works fine.  The UVERSE Access Point also connects directly and works fine as do the remote wireless set-boxes.

I cannot get wired set-boxes to operate through the house network.  All of the data operations work well -- until there is a UVERSE packet storm.  I have the business grade switches so that I can configure around that as proposed elsewhere in this posting.

Why can't I get any wire set-box traffic to connect through these managed switches?

Thanks in advance,

~~~ 0;-Dan

That switch claims to have IGMPv3 support, so it should properly handle the IPTV requests.  Another option, which I would suggest you try,  would be to create a private VLAN for your IPTV traffic as described earlier in this thread.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

VLAN is my next step.

I'd really like to learn more & understand what U-VERSE is doing. I'd also
like to learn more & understand VAN.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

9 years ago

This is the quick and dirty explanation.

When you first tune a channel, two things happen.  One, the receiver requests a unicast stream to its IP address of the contents of the channel.  This resolves pretty quickly and you can nearly instantly start viewing the program.  Two, nearly simultaneously, the receiver also sends an IGMPv3 request to subscribe to the multicast address assigned to that channel.  This IGMPv3 request is processed by the RG, then forwarded up the chain.  When the IGMPv3 gets to the top of the processing tree, the multicast stream starts flowing down through the RG and out any of the ports that it knows have subscribed to that address.  If the request was made by a non-DVR receiver, the DVR sees that request and also requests the stream so that it can provide buffering services for Whole Home DVR features for that receiver.  Anyway, once the receiver starts getting the multicast IPTV stream, it matches up the packet sequence in its buffers and seemlessly switches to the multicast stream.  The unicast stream times out in 10-20 seconds and is no longer sent.  When you tune away from the channel, the receiver sends a IGMPv3 request to desubscribe from the multicast address.

Switches that do IGMPv3 peeking (peeking because IGMP is a layer 3 protocol, and a layer 2 devices, such as a switch, aren't supposed to be looking at the data inside the TCP/UDP envelope) should properly handle the requests and know what ports to send the returning mutlicast UDP packts to, and avoid sending it to the others.

Using a VLAN basically interconnects ports on a switch (or between multiple switches if they support tagging), so that the traffic between those ports is private and not sent to other ports.  Each port is assigned a VLAN number, and traffic coming in that port will be sent to other ports with the same VLAN number, and vice versa.  With tagging, the packets have a small area in the header that contains the VLAN number, which means that two switches can be connected by a cable and have traffic from two (or more) different VLANs flow between the switches and go only to the ports they're intended for.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.