Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Jeysouth's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 1:02 AM

How to reset 2Wire 3801HGV Gateway to allow 3rd party router to be main WiFi host with Guest Network

I have the Uverse 2Wire 3801HGV gateway that serves as the host of our WiFi signal as well as the ethernet connection for two periferal devices  - a printer and a ATT micro-cell (our phone reception is bad otherwise).   I want to add an Apple Time Capsule to the network for two main reasons - the Apple TC is a newer "a/c" router compared to the "g" Gateway AND I have had a Guest Network set-up with an Apple Extreme when I lived elsewhere and really found it useful with relatives, guests, etc. (The Apple TC can also handle the ethernet requirements)

The 3801HGV manual has instructions for putting it into Bridge Mode.  Will this work with the ATT system??  Or is it more complex??  The 3801 manual's only caution is, "Confirm with the ISP that the WAN protocol is compatible with bridging mode."    Can you advise what steps work to accomplish Bridge mode with this Gateway/3rd Party Router???    Thank you!!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

In my case, I abandoned the AT&T WiFi and Ethernet except for connecting the AT&T DVR and Apple Airport Extreme on Ethernet. I have seven Apple related products off of the AAPE, six on WiFi, as well as a couple of other WiFi devices.

I would implement in steps with the DMZ or cascade solution to be evaluated first.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

ApexRon, I agree....Let me know if this is correct.... The 3801HGV would just have the ATT DVR "out" (my connection is by coax) and the Time Capsule by ethernet "out" (from one of the ethernet ports "out" of the 3801HGV and to the "input" port of the TC).  The 3801HGV would have wifi "off"!  Once one of the  configurations (DMZ or Cascade) is proven as stable, fast, etc.,then I would add each of the three ethernet devices (microcell, FireTV 7 printer) one at a time and assure a stable system.

Just one thought.... do I need to connect directly to either the 3801HGV or TC by ethernet as part of the setting up process? ....to adjust settings, turn wifi off/on, etc.?? ( I think I had to during the original 3801HGV set-up)   If yes, I need to get a dongle for Thunderbolt to Ethernet - my laptop no longer has an ethernet port!

Again thank you (and JefferMC) for all the help!!!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

".... do I need to connect directly to either the 3801HGV or TC by ethernet as part of the setting up process?" Only if something in the configuration process gets FUBAR'd. I made all my changes through the network (WiFi -->Apple--->Ethernet-->AT&T router).

I had to invest in dongles too. You can borrow mine. HA!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

How about I just get an ethernet cable long enough to reach your computer and you can just get me set up!  Double HA!     I know I'll have some "adventures" trying to get that "g" router replaced with an "ac" even though I still have to pay ATT $8/mo.    Cross your fingers.........John

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.