Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
rearnold864's profile

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 5:43 PM

BGW-210 Gateway

I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck getting AT&T to upgrade their gateway. Right now I have the 5286AC which is OK but looking at a friends BGW-210, I can see that the BGW-210 has some advantages. The two 5268AC gateways I've had are terribly slow on bootup and both have flaky wifi.  I've seen where people call and after being told that they will be sent one, get the 5268 instead. 

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

I'm solving my wireless issues by turning off wireless on the BGW210 and setting up a Ubiquiti network.  At least my wireless will finally work.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

6 years ago

First off I fully admit and am fully aware that there are people out there that have or had issues with the 210, I'm simply sharing my experience with it in the past 5 months I've had it. If you do dislike the 210 then def get a wireless router of your own, esp since that's really your only other option. The 5268AC is quickly being phased out/replaced by the 210 and already difficult to find.

However I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've been extremely happy with my 210 and its safe to say new firmware updates are in the works to improve things further, I got it about 5 months ago, and It's been extremely reliable. Not one wi-fi disconnect or issue and only one reboot that happened at 3AM which I assume was maintenance considering the time and it never happened again. Performance/throughput is excellent as well, noticeably better than the 5268AC and just as good as a Asus RT-AC88U I sold because I didn't see any benefit using it compared to the 210 (actually have more consistent speeds on the 5 Ghz band with the 210). Also could never get the  Asus RT-AC88U to provide ipv6 service from my 210 or the 5268AC I had before, which is important to me because my area has had native ipv6 for several months now. So I've been using only the 210 for 4 months now.

I also just ordered one of these AT&T branded AirTies mesh Wi-Fi extenders which is designed specifically to work with the 210 and 5268AC (part of the recent firmware updates for them was preparing theme to work with this extender) so no dealing with IP pass through crap. Just hit the WPS button on the 210 and then on the extender, let them sync, then unplug and move the extender where I want it, and then I'll have extended coverage and a seamless mesh wi-fi network (for $35!) It should be delivered by the end of the week.

Anyways if you get a 210 yours is terrible def get your own wi-fi router and turn the wi-fi off on the 210, but mine has been excellent.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

That really shouldn't be a solution.  People are paying AT&T good money for the service, which the device is included in that service.  AT&T needs to fix/replace this issue/device.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

6 years ago

Oh I agree 100 percent. I have a feeling these issues can be fixed in software with a firmware update. The 210 has had at least two so far since it was deployed. Hopefully the next one rolls out soon. I'm just stating that for whatever reason its been just fine for me. And I have at least 20-25 devices connected to it at all times. Fingers crossed that the next firmware update is very close to being pushed out and it squashes a lot of these nasty bugs/issues people are experiencing.

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@sean8102

Regarding your BGW-210

Without giving away too much which serial number run do you have (DON'T give the last two digits!) It could be that there was a bad batch of them, or it could be the firmware number, which firmware do you have as well?

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

6 years ago

Here ya go. The manufacture date on the label on the 210 is 07/28/2017. The time since last reboot is only 7 days because of a power outage we had last week from a thunderstorm.

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@sean8102

Thanks for the info. My guess is this will be helpful to those having issues. 

I'm certain that AT&T had also pushed out an update for this gateway about 6 weeks ago and problems began.

I believe they are push out out another update to correct the previous one. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi,

Anyone having issues with connecting Digital Life to the BG210?  ATT replaced my old modem to this and now my DLC can't connect.

Thanks. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.