For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mrcpuhead's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 9:47 PM

2Wire Gateway/Router - DSL User & Max Rates Appear Incorrect

I discovered by doing a comparison of the 2wire's Broadband details for download and upload rates with the actual values returned by www.speedtest.net that the 2wire doesn't report actual values.  Instead, it reports the max values supported by the particular model router.  In my case, it says 19192 Kbps DOWN, and 2040 Kbps UP.  However, with the Elite level of service, I get about 5745 Kbps DOWN and 901 Kbps UP.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Why doesn't the 2wire report real-worl connection speeds???

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

There is no 2wire admin tool that shows the internet package that you subscribe to or the the actual upstream or downstream rates as you use the internet.  The U-verse technical support person correctly directed to use one of the speed test sites located on the internet if you want to test the speed of your internet connection.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

There is no 2wire admin tool that shows the internet package that you subscribe to or the the actual upstream or downstream rates as you use the internet.  The U-verse technical support person correctly directed to use one of the speed test sites located on the internet if you want to test the speed of your internet connection.

While it won't show your internet package, the old firmware had a little graph that would show the VDSL bandwidth in use.  If you download UverseRealtime, then on the Interfaces tab it will show you each port's traffic in realtime.  This information is available from the 2WIRE directly (because UverseRealtime gets it by scraping the output from the 2WIRE), but it may not be pretty.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

13 years ago

To be sure we know what we're talking about when we respond, would you post a screenshot of the page you're getting these numbers from and indicate the number you're talking about.

The 2WIRE can report actual usage on some pages, but it sounds like you're referencing the link speed, which is the maximum rate of all traffic that the 2WIRE and VRAD can exchange over the VDSL2 link, which may include VOIP, IPTV, and miscellaneous Internet traffic combined.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

DSL Details

Down Up
Modem TypeBuilt in modem - VDSL

DSL Line Coax

User Rate19192 kbs2040 kbs
Max User Rate28814 kbsNot Available
Noise Margin17.0 dBNot Available
Attenuation26.6 dBNot Available
Output Power12.3 dBm6.2 dBm

ProtocolG.993.2
ChannelInterleaved
DSLAM Vendor InformationCountry {65461} Vendor {CXSY} Specific {12590 }
Attenuation @ 300kHz16.0 dB
Final Receive Gain15.0 dBOk

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

The "User Rate" that you see in the RG represents your line profile.  You are on the 19/2 line profile.  The available line profiles are 32/5, 25/2 and 19/2. 

The line profile has nothing to do with the internet package that you subscribe to.  Also, the RG does not contain information on the internet package that you subscribe to nor does it show the results of any speed tests that you may perform. 

You are actually making a comparison of two things that do not relate to each other.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

That's exactly what I thought after my very latest phone conversation with an ATT U-Verse tech support rep.   It does leave a followup question/concern:

You mentioned that the 2wire admin tool does have other actual down/up rate reporting capability ("The 2WIRE can report actual usage on some pages").  Where can I find that in the tool - is it only via diagnostics?  If so, that may explain why the techs had me use www.speedtest.net and www.speakesy.net/speedtest/ to measure actual down/up speeds.  I'd rather be able to make such measures via one tool - the gateway's admin interface - if possible; however, I don't want to interrupt broadband comms on my local network, which is the way the 2wire diags work.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Now if someone would just port that Windoze app over to linux, I'd be happy! Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.