Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
shs1451's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, June 19th, 2012 10:14 PM

Keeping DSL without phone service

At&T is my service provider for my land line as well as my DSL. I am thinking about porting my number to a VOIP provider other than AT&T. Since AT&T has my DSL service, customer service is telling me that if i cancel my phone service with them, i will lose the dsl service since "it comes in over the phone lines associated with the number". The "stand alone" DSL service, on the AT&T web site for the same service i have now, is 19.00 less per month!!!...I need to keep the at&t e mail adresses, since it's one used by my wife's business. HELP..I can port the number, and cancel all of my AT&T services, and then apply for new DSL service, right? As "standalone". What happens to my at&t e mail addresses? any advice/suggestions, etc will be appreciated. (the monthly savings with going to VOIP and reduced charges for DSL comes out to over 50.00/month!)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Sheldon, You have been so helpful, thank you.  One more question, if I call the retention dept to cancel everything then can that same person start me all over with just DSL or do I have to call back another day, another dept?  Since I am not under a contract right now, I am so afraid if I call in they will screw up my bill or not let me hook back up as a new customer. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Oh, and one other thing, if I start all over as a new customer are there going to be installation fees and/or activation fees? Will a tecnician have to come out?  I already have everything set up and with my own modem, I am just trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I just got off the phone with AT&T.  This just doesn't seem right.  She said when my contract ended in February they automatically renewed it and did not need my authorization to do so.  To cancel my Landline and only have DSL I would have to pay $15/month for the next 7 months OR she could backdate my auto renewal contract to Feb 2014 but then I would have to give them back all the discounts I have been receiving for March-now which amounts to $120/month x 4 months and pay $115/mo plus taxes for only DSL and that is the best rate there is!  She said cancelling my Hotspot is another dept, another issue.  She said since I'm paying $150/month now for Landline, DSL and the Hotspot as a bundle, I might as well leave it as it is.  My question, since when is $115/month the best deal on DSL?  None of this sounds legit to me and if it is it is ridiculous how they have me trapped with no way out except to pay out the wazoo!  All I want is to get rid of the Landline and Hotspot and just use them for DSL, but it looks like they got me. She said if I cancelled everything and called back for new DSL it would still be $115/month plus tax and connect fees, etc. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I also had DSL (Louisville, KY area) and was told I HAD to swtich to U-Verse or my internet would be cut off!  Big billing issues every since and big increase in my bill.  Lost my 'bundled' discount.  Also, Please be aware that if you give up your analogue (land line) and there is a power outage (even with their battery backup which lasts for up to 4 hours) you will be without a phone.  If you have a home security system that goes though you land line, I have been told it will Not work on a phone that uses the internet.  Also, no 911 service is your power it out!

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

That's why you give up your landline and just use cellular. You can also have your home security system dial out via cell.
Check out the bundled options on their web site. They're bundling phones, internet, u verse tv .etc..2 words...negotiate, negotiate! When I went to u verse dsl I was able to negotiate my monthly charge in half!
Good luck...

Sheldon

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

A lot of communities still have franchises and terriforys, and only one vender gets to provide a certain type of service in that area.

I live in Florida, and the cable franchise belongs to Comcast, and that is not likly to change anytime soon. We do get phone, and I also have DSL from AT&T. But I can't get U-Verse here, if I wanted it.

So, to answer your question, no, U-Verse is not available everywhere.

Oh, interesting side note, a freind of mine lives in an area that is mostly woods. No cable company will run the needed wires to provide service, AT&T does have phone service where he lives, but unlikly DSL will ever be available for him. His only options are, Dial-up (yes, it's still around) and satalitte. Also the only way he gets TV.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

At&t really screws it's customers with DSL.  I pay more for this outdated service than if i were able to get U-verse.  I don't have a landline, and won't get one because it's higher yet!  

They've been telling me for two years that we've been on the list to be updated to u-verse, but still don't have it.

All you can do is keep threatening to switch to cable, and they'll keep stringing you along with a 6 month discount for new subscribers. in 6 months repeat, repeat, repeat...  

I hate the game I have to play, and will NEVER use any other service AT&T offers, because of the games they play with us!!!

... and yep, time to play the game with them again, cause they went back to full price.   

Repeat again in 6 months...!!!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

AT+T just likes taking your money.  I actually found recently on their site, that they have to give you a twelve month discount  for internet if you ask for it. Believe it or not, that is their written policy.  Try calling the Retention unit, they are at least a bit better than their other "customer service representatives".  I have taken to recording my calls to document things that have been promised to me which is legal according to the FCC.  Then, if they don't give me what promised, I have proof.  I fully intend to file a complaint with the FCC if I have problems in the future (I just got done with an FCC complaint--that is the only time AT+T  seems to care.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

I was going to do this, and see if it were possible to do, I got mine sperate I had phone then added Internet a little bit later that was. I was just mentioning this.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

Just Inform FCC

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.