Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
bshosey's profile

21 Messages

Saturday, January 27th, 2024 12:31 AM

Can not connect to internal local machines by hostname. I can by ip address

Router and Service: BGW320-500 Fiber 1000

Account Privacy Choices: Personalized Plus = Off

Personalized = Off

DNS Error Assist = Off

Router: Firewall>Security Options: Parental Control Status = Disabled

All other settings are default.

With these settings when I do an nslookup to the hostname I am trying to connect to I get the ip address of 143.244.220.150. This is DigitalOcean ip address. So all my local dns lookups for my local devices are being redirected to an external dns not the router. This happens to all hostnames. I have different computers and devices that do different services for my home use. I run Debian Linux. I have 2 Windows machines on the network (Wife and My work laptops. Everything else are IoT devices or Debian machines. I have about 20 VM Debian machines and these are effected as well. I know I can install libnss-mdns package from the debian repository and I can connect to the devices by honame.local. This will not work for FlatPak apps. At one time all this worked. Debian search sufix is attlocal.net. If you tell me I need to host my own dns or DHCP server I am more than ok with this. My issue is how would I with out loosing my internet speed.

This is a deal breaker. I need to be able to connect to my local machines and virtual machines by hostnames. To be honnest this infuriates me that a local nslookup would be sent to external service. This is a huge privacy issue and poor way of doing things. I consider this a hijack of internal network. When the sales rep approached me I told them what I was doing and how important local internal DNS was to me. I even went on a 30 minute rant about another ISPs horrible router. They promised me this system could handle internal DNS. I have spent hours working on this. I am about to cancel service over this.

21 Messages

4 months ago

Sorry I totally miss read you message I am so sorry.

Primary DNS 68.94.156.9
Secondary DNS 68.94.157.9

Tutor

• 

430 Messages

4 months ago

To me it looks like the alternate DNS servers settings associated with opting out of DNS Error Assist did not make it down to your gateway.

Some older forum entries on the subject are poor in that they tell you to factory reset the gateway and opt out again. I would NOT recommend doing that.

I am not sure how long it takes the settings to be pushed from the network to your gateway. I would opt in again. Wait some time (e.g., an hour) for those settings to be pushed to the gateway (so no changes that you would see on the gateway, this is just to fix the network-side settings so they align with the gateway). Then opt out again. And periodically check the DNS settings on the gateway to see if they have changed.

(edited)

21 Messages

4 months ago

You did provide me with good information. Now I have some numbers to see when It changes. I do appreciate your help. So far this has been a problem with Every ISP I have had. My previous ISP I had to disable router and just plugged a old desktop I made a Linux router out of and used it for local DNS and DHCP. It had two nicks and used it as a firewall too. It worked really well. I just wanted 1g bit internet. For what I have read I can not do this with ATT Router.

21 Messages

4 months ago

I have been told to disable DHCP. and setup my own DHCP Server. I would do this but can no find if the Wireless devices would use the new DHCP server. Like I said I have no issues running my own DHCP server. I just don't want to have to buy new wireless access points. Plus I have been told doing that could cause a decrease in internet speeds. I also do not care about parental controls that ATT offers. I have no kids in the house LOL. To be honest I would rather have my own DHCP and DNS server. I just do not want to degrade wireless performance on the internet.

(edited)

21 Messages

4 months ago

I just upluged the power to the router

Primary DNS 68.94.156.9
Secondary DNS 68.94.157.9

21 Messages

4 months ago

If I do not see this changing in to my favor I am going to talk to a lawyer. I am tired of ISPs doing this kind of stuff. I made it clear when I singed up that I needed local DNS and they promised this system can handle it. And was assured this would not be a problem. They told me I could even set rules to specific devices. Really this is a joke with the control options in the Smart Home app. Matter of fact the Smart home app is just a marketing tactic to get you to buy more stuff. Sorry I am not attacking you. I am really frustrated with all this (Edited per community guidelines). It is simple I just want local DNS to work. And all this is so they can do targeting advertisements. I use all Open Source free software, I specifically use Debian because not controlled by Profit organizations. I use Firefox because of same. then when you get an ISP they want to use their Profit agenda to deteriorate your personal network. This is my network. Not theirs. They should be held accountable for the time and stress this has caused. They are to provide me with Internet access, that is it. Not manage my Local network. I applied the settings Tuesday. It is Friday and I am still getting Local DNS redirects. If this does not change by Monday. I am calling my Lawyer.

(edited)

21 Messages

4 months ago

I sorry. Again that was not an attach on you. It sure did sound like it and I am sorry. I really do appreciate your time, effort and the information you have provided and done. I do have a problem with most bushiness. I have trust issues with them. I have been working with computers sense 1994. I have been using Linux sense 1995. I have support a bunch or corporate crap where for seems for ever. And It is always profits over the user. I am sick of it and have becoming to the point of wishing the worst for most business.

21 Messages

4 months ago

Here is an update. I reboot the router Broadband dns still is .9 but was able to ping and nslook up. Went to bed This morning back to can't ping and nslookup by host name. I am getting very angry over this.

Tutor

• 

430 Messages

4 months ago

Did you "I would opt in again. Wait some time (e.g., an hour) for those settings to be pushed to the gateway (so no changes that you would see on the gateway, this is just to fix the network-side settings so they align with the gateway). Then opt out again. And periodically check the DNS settings on the gateway to see if they have changed."

21 Messages

4 months ago

Update. Called support they are sending out newer equipment. I do not think this will resolve it. I hope I am wrong.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.