For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bshosey's profile

21 Messages

Saturday, January 27th, 2024 12:31 AM

Can not connect to internal local machines by hostname. I can by ip address

Router and Service: BGW320-500 Fiber 1000

Account Privacy Choices: Personalized Plus = Off

Personalized = Off

DNS Error Assist = Off

Router: Firewall>Security Options: Parental Control Status = Disabled

All other settings are default.

With these settings when I do an nslookup to the hostname I am trying to connect to I get the ip address of 143.244.220.150. This is DigitalOcean ip address. So all my local dns lookups for my local devices are being redirected to an external dns not the router. This happens to all hostnames. I have different computers and devices that do different services for my home use. I run Debian Linux. I have 2 Windows machines on the network (Wife and My work laptops. Everything else are IoT devices or Debian machines. I have about 20 VM Debian machines and these are effected as well. I know I can install libnss-mdns package from the debian repository and I can connect to the devices by honame.local. This will not work for FlatPak apps. At one time all this worked. Debian search sufix is attlocal.net. If you tell me I need to host my own dns or DHCP server I am more than ok with this. My issue is how would I with out loosing my internet speed.

This is a deal breaker. I need to be able to connect to my local machines and virtual machines by hostnames. To be honnest this infuriates me that a local nslookup would be sent to external service. This is a huge privacy issue and poor way of doing things. I consider this a hijack of internal network. When the sales rep approached me I told them what I was doing and how important local internal DNS was to me. I even went on a 30 minute rant about another ISPs horrible router. They promised me this system could handle internal DNS. I have spent hours working on this. I am about to cancel service over this.

Tutor

• 

416 Messages

3 months ago

How are you specifying the local hostnames in your nslookup command? Can you provide a sceenshot of the results?

21 Messages

3 months ago

If it do hostname.local I get right IP (this is because of installation of libnss-mdns. Witch is a DNS multi broadcaster service of Debian. This will not work for FlatpakApps.)

If I do hostname.attlocal.net I get hostneme.attlocal.net: Name or service not known

If I do hostname I get the following.

Server:  192.168.1.254
Address: 192.168.1.254#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: hostneme
Address: 143.244.220.150

This is for all machines.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

416 Messages

3 months ago

What DNS server addresses are in your devices? It sounds like they are getting their DNS server addresses from some device local on your network and not the router. From where are they getting their DHCP information?

(edited)

21 Messages

3 months ago

192.168.1.254 witch is the router and set by DHCP. I have no machines static. And no reserved DHCP. I also have port forwerding on a couple machine. I can access them remotely but not internally by hostneme

(edited)

21 Messages

3 months ago

ping hostname
PING hostname (143.244.220.150) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 143.244.220.150 (143.244.220.150): icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=92.1 ms
64 bytes from 143.244.220.150 (143.244.220.150): icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=85.2 ms
64 bytes from 143.244.220.150 (143.244.220.150): icmp_seq=3 ttl=46 time=81.9 ms
64 bytes from 143.244.220.150 (143.244.220.150): icmp_seq=4 ttl=46 time=88.8 ms

This is for any hostname I ping

(edited)

Tutor

• 

416 Messages

3 months ago

Sounds like DNS Error Assist is not turned off although you indicate it is (others have complained about this in the past).

When did you turn it off? Have you rebooted your local devices since then to force getting new DNS server settings?

21 Messages

3 months ago

I disabled it Tuesday. I rebooted router last night. All devices have been rebooted this morning.

(edited)

21 Messages

3 months ago

It has actually gotten worse sense I disabled it. All this worked at one time. I have always had problems with new device being added to the network. But always resolved it self. Now none of my device are working.

Tutor

• 

416 Messages

3 months ago

On the gateway, what are the IP addresses for the DNS servers? I just checked two modems I have access to and the one with DNS Error Assist enabled ends in .9. The one without ends in .1.

21 Messages

3 months ago

This is my resolve file witch is pulled from the router (DHCP)

search attlocal.net
nameserver 192.168.1.254
nameserver 2600:1700:1b5a:d010::1

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.