For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
madbrain's profile

8 Messages

Monday, April 22nd, 2024 11:18 PM

On waiting list for 13 years

When can I expect AT&T to offer fiber at my home address in San Jose ?

The "check availability" button on the AT&T web site shows that DSL (Internet 25 plan) is the only service available, currently. No 5G (Air service) or fiber.

The broadbandnow map shows there is fiber about half a mile downhill.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

11 days ago

ATT fiber expansion started in 2016, 8 years ago… at average rate of 3 million addresses per year with over 60 million hardwired addresses in 21 state footprint.

Prior to that was Uverse expansion from 2006 to 2015, internet 25 would be FTTN or Fiber To The Node Uverse.

By end 2025 (about 18 months) ATT Fiber will reach 50% of footprint or 30+ million addresses…. So half of the addresses will not receive the product. ATT AIR or fiber to the cell tower is to reach 25% of footprint (15 million) by end of 2025, areas are still being expanded where excess 5G capacity exists…. That means 25% of addresses will see no upgrades by start of 2026, time will tell which group you will be in.

Option is relocation to where desired service is available or consider other ISP providers including T-Mobile and Verizon for 5G cellular home service similar to ATT AIR.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

11 days ago

@madbrain 

Simple answer is that there is no expectation. You might get it or you might not.

You either stick with your current option until some time (if ever) the service you want arrives, switch providers, or move to where the service you want already exists.

8 Messages

11 days ago

Thanks. Relocating isn't an option. I do have other ISPs available, but they are not quite as fast as fiber. Comcast has been my main ISP all that time, but they have raised the prices quite a bit. I'm doing a trial of Sail (fixed wireless) and also a trial of Verizon 5G Home Internet.
Both are slower than Comcast, but also less than half the price. 2 of the ISPs (Comcast and Sail) have seen outages. I have not had one yet with Verizon, but only had it for 2 days. T-Mobile 5G internet service is not available at my address. I'm considering keep Sail as primary ISP and Verizon as secondary. That will be slower than Comcast, save only $5/month, but should be more reliable in case one of them goes down...

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

11 days ago

I get relocating isn't what most of us would do, but it is just one of the options that exist. If it is not feasible than you either wait or change ISPs.

Reality is there is no guarantee that AT&T will ever provide you fiber. They have no obligation to do so.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

11 days ago

@madbrain  Check out Sonic.net. We had them years ago for DSL (they took over the AT&T copper lines) and service/support was excellent. They are based in Santa Rosa and were just starting to roll out fiber to certain areas of San Jose about 10 years ago. We moved 6 years ago so I don't know how far their deployment went but it might be worth a call. They are one of the highest rated ISP's around. In fact, when we moved to another state we kept our email address because they are very aggressive with spam and security. Light years ahead of AT&T or Comcast.

8 Messages

11 days ago

@OttoPylot, I'm also on the waiting list for Sonic for several years. Currently Sonic says my address is only in the "planning" phase and they are unable to provide any estimate for when things might change. It seems that at least in some cases, Sonic may be using the same fiber lines as AT&T, though their web site is a little confusing about that. I'm in the east foothills in San Jose at about 600ft. Not a high density of population, but many new homes are getting built on vacant lots.

I would love to have 10gigabit Internet service as I have had a 10Gbps home LAN for many years, including the desktop I'm typing this on and my self-built pfSense router.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

11 days ago

10Gbps? Sheesh, some of us are lucky to live in an area that can get into the 100Mbps tiers, let alone 1Gbps. And then of course having a computer that can handle those speeds as well.

8 Messages

11 days ago

@Juniper, many current phones are capable of handling 1 Gpbs. Either on 5G if network capacity permits, or on WiFi if using Wifi 6E or 7, and the backend ISP is fast enough.

I'm still using WiFi 5 (AC) as it has been good enough. For my wired LAN, I use 10gig, though. I have a large NAS for local backups on 10gig. I filled up the 112TB recently as I had forgotten to set a backup expiration policy . 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

11 days ago

@madbrain  We lived in the Evergreen area of the East foothills and Sonic just never made it out there, at least not 10 years ago. They lay their own fiber unless it is cheaper or better to take over the AT&T fiber. 10Gbps internet? Just curious but what do you need that kind of speed for?

8 Messages

11 days ago

@OttoPylot,
I'm near Alum Rock. I would love to have a cloud backup provider that supports 10 Gbps speeds. I don't have offsite backups currently, and I'm concerned about it. Basically my only option is to buy another set of hard drives and store them at a bank in a safe deposit box. Might need 2 boxes to fit them all ... And it's not particularly convenient when you need to update the backups.

The fastest ISP is Comcast which tops at 250 Mbps for uploads , and that is still far too slow when you are uploading terabytes - a single 6TB backup will take 58 hours. Incrementals take much less, of course. I don't do full backups every night. About every couple weeks. On my LAN I'm not saturating the 10 Gbps link during these backups because I'm using hard drives for storage, not SSDs. It's about 4.5 Gbps average, and that takes a little over 3 hours for a full backup, which is fine when scheduled at night.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.