Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
madbrain's profile

8 Messages

Monday, April 22nd, 2024 11:18 PM

On waiting list for 13 years

When can I expect AT&T to offer fiber at my home address in San Jose ?

The "check availability" button on the AT&T web site shows that DSL (Internet 25 plan) is the only service available, currently. No 5G (Air service) or fiber.

The broadbandnow map shows there is fiber about half a mile downhill.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.5K Messages

2 months ago

I look forward to the day when the baseline for the country is at least 100Mbps+ wired. Pushing select areas to 2, 5, or especially 10Gbps should not be the priority. Certainly innovate the top end, but at this point the stability, capability, and reach of the national infrastructure is more important. Sure there are outlying situations like this, but that doesn't outweigh the needs of the overall infrastructure and other users.

Unfortunately what the OP wants is just not feasible yet for where they live.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

Your chance of getting AT&T in the next few years are not very good. One thing that might help is there is fiber nearby. One of the things ATT fiber is looking at is if an area/city with and without fiber is chopped up they are looking to fill in the gaps. The other thing that might help an area to get fiber sooner is if the fiber can be placed on poles instead of having to bury the fiber.  The financial reports are saying management are happy with results on their fiber network investments. 

ACE - Expert

• 

32.5K Messages

2 months ago

That is certainly what these companies focus on, their return on investment (bang for the buck). Though our country doesn't have need (yet, or I daresay anytime soon) of 10Gbps as the OP would like, there is great need for improvement. Do not want them to stop innovation, but I feel focus needs to shift to the baseline. As internet has become very integral in our lives the base speed across the board needs to be at a good minimum. Reach to more citizens is needed and the stability of those connections (including transfer between hops/other ISPs) needs to be better.

Having somewhere 20-50Mbps as the minimum nationwide would be a huge boost. Granted, I see at least 100Mbps as more devices are connected, in addition to streaming and gaming, become more common. Approaching the utopia of fiber speeds starting at 1Gbps is happening over time, with some areas going a bit over that. But personal use (non business) needing to backup to removable media or constantly needing around 10Gbps is so far removed from the average user that it would not be a priority for the ISPs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.