For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, May 18th, 2022 4:32 AM

AT&T Fiber - Frustrating Issues with Even More Frustrating Customer Service

Fiber installed 3 weeks ago. Maybe 3-4 occasions where connectivity dropped. Assumed it was due to new installs for neighbors.

As of yesterday when I returned home from a weekend away it is completely out. New fiber routes are fun through my yard for neighbors, and now mine will not work. AT&T won’t send someone out until THURSDAY even tho techs are on-site all week and I’m a new paying customer without service.

If anyone has a beneficial phone number or email that will actually be helpful it would be very much appreciated. I spent 1 hr 46 mins on the phone with customer service just to be transferred to the same wrong department 4 times in a row. At this point I’m heavily considering cancelling service.

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Have you ran a speed test from your mobile device? What are you getting with that? What device are you using? Wifi 6 only works on newer model phones. There are a lot of factors that could come into play. If you can answer some of these questions, we should be able to help you out more.

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

It’s not the speed it’s the service. It’s completely out. 0 Mbps. Seems like when they installed the lines next to our unit something happened with the fiber run to ours. Or it was just a bad run to begin with and deteriorated over the last 3 weeks.

Scholar

• 

3.9K Messages

2 years ago

You need to call the normal support line at 1-800-288-2020 and work through the tier 1 script to confirm they can see the outage on their end.

They can actually connect to your Gateway and run diagnostics or check the light signal level. Likely you need a tech dispatch to repair a physical fiber line issue.

Tell us a little more about your AT&T equipment install. Do you have a new BGW-320 (500 or 505) with just 1 LED on the front or another gateway so you can post the LED status light(s).

Also does your Fiber line run from an overhead pole or underground as you have indicated a neighbor install may have impacted your connection.

Simple issues like a cracked fiber glass that failed for a total outage or a bend or kink that heated or was stretched when another line was run can damage the physical fiber.

It could also be a bad gateway box that failed. Most fail shortly after install or run for 5 or more years without any issue.

Dave

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 years ago

@jasonlarm A tech appointment on Thursday is actually pretty quick for ATT. You are a residential customer on the low priority list. I’d ask techs working about it. They may be able to check your connection while installing new customers. 

What do you mean by “New fiber routes are fun through my yard for neighbors”?

fiber for individual customers shouldn’t  be in another customers yard. Unless there is an easement. Is your fiber line buried yet? If not buried, it’s possible your line got broken. 

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone

- "run" not "fun"...typo from my midnight phone typing. Also I'm in a townhome in a group of 6. Not trying to say I have an issue with where they are run, just that we had a tech walking back and forth past our living room windows all day yesterday and he wouldn't even come check it out when I told him. All he said was the connection looked good in the manhole/box. I'm going to keep asking when I see techs here and hope one is willing to help.

- My fiber line was buried about a week ago - the others are still unburied but I saw a trailer with a ditchwitch drive by earlier this morning

-BGW-320 and I have the slow red blinking light. Nothing has worked on my end - disconnecting and reconnecting fiber, reset button, factory reset, it's clearly on AT&T's end or the unit they gave me is a lemon as dave006 points out.

I understand it's residential I just don't understand how AT&T can be so grossly negligent to allow this to happen and not try to rectify it immediately, especially considering they have techs here everyday with extra gateways. Now they are saying they may ship out a new gateway but it won't ship until tomorrow.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 years ago

ATT doesn’t rectify anything immediately. That’s just ATT and probably any isp. You have to understand that the techs are on existing appointments and are on time standards to complete the installs. Plus they cannot just hand out gateways to a customer. There has to be a dispatched appointment. If a tech is between jobs and has a few minutes, they might look at what they can but no obligation to try. In your case having an appointment tomorrow is the quickest way to get up and running again. If it’s a local issue and not something further up the “lines”. Please post back after your repair with what the problem was. 

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Still unresolved and got very muddy.

Sometime last weekend the port was damaged at the POE manhole at our community. Only explanation I can think of is from a subsequent install for another customer, let me know if there are any other thoughts.

So my unit wasn’t getting any light suddenly 3 weeks after install. Unfortunately the splitter that my port was on was completely full (I thought this was odd that they didn’t design for spare ports) and the tech had to go through and approval process to get my port switched from splitter 2 to splitter 3. He did that and came back to my unit where he finally saw the line lit again.

Unfortunately, upon hooking up the BGW gateway it started blinking green quickly. AT&T could finally see my gateway remotely, but it wasn’t allowing service due to switching from xPON to XGSPON or vice versa. I’m not familiar with these terms but presume I was on a lower bandwidth/speed fiber line and was switched over to a higher one as that was the only one available and now it’s stuck in a approval process or backend settings.

Still unresolved right now and another tech is supposed to come over tomorrow when I return home from a wedding. The good news is the physical issue was resolved and now it appears it is just a backend issue or swapping of gateway.

Any thoughts from this end?? I felt bad for the previous tech because he was at my home from 3:30 PM until just after 10 PM. I cannot go through another day like that tomorrow.

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Lastly, when the tech left Wednesday night the action was for me to call AT&T at 8 AM in the morning. Multiple AT&T folks had said the only solution was to obtain a “cease and provide” order but that the team that provides these we out of office until 8 AM.

There was serious misalignment within AT&T because earlier in the night one group referred us to the cease and provide team (sales team I believe) and then the sales team said they won’t do the cease and provide and to call another unit….the same unit that referred us to the sales team…I hope you can see how this is frustrating.

Called back in morning and after 1 hr 30 mins speaking with rep that’s when they scrapped the cease and provide and said it’s probably the gateway. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 years ago

You may need to be switched to a bgw320 with sfp converter. @ my thoughts can probably comment on what’s happening. 

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@browndk26 What does an SFP converter look like? Can I buy one on my own and hook up or does it need to be AT&T?

@mythought Do you have any ideas here?

After hooking up the new gateway and having the same issue I called back again yesterday and I was assured yesterday that the physical installation is set up correctly and all that was needed would be cease and provide order. Order was scheduled yesterday but wasn't completed until midnight. Today they say now a tech needs to come out to verify the connection at the point of entry into the community. I already told them it is connected to splitter 3 port 10, and they confirm that they can see the gateway connected. Can't believe anything they tell me anymore and will be calling back shortly to see if anyone else can help. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.