Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
digifan's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, March 8th, 2016 5:00 PM

NAT Loopback on 5268AC

Hello, my friend has AT&T modem 5268AC FXN router. We installed CCTV system and successfully configured port forwarding. He is able to access the cameras from outside the home but not within the WiFi network (BTW, he doesn't have any additional switches, routers past the AT&T router). I believe this is due to NAT loopack not working. Is there a particular setting on the router that can be changed to enable NAT loopback? Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

7 years ago

I reviewed my router setup, and what I told you is not completely accurate, so allow me to correct the record…

In my particular setup, I’m using an Asus RT-N56U as my router and WiFi access point. I have the AT&T-supplied 5268AC router configured in what they call, “DMZ Plus” mode — that is, it’s passing everything through to the downstream Asus router. The Asus router is where I do all my configuration, such as port forwarding.

That said, I stand by my previous comments, that the 52678AC can be configured to do port forwarding. I know this, because I was able to successfully configure my neighbor’s 5268AC router to do port forwarding for two security cameras he has on his WiFi network. As I said before, it took some screwing around and trial-and-error, but I eventually got it configured to do the port forwarding. No static IP addresses were required. As I recall, one thing I had to do (which is not obvious from the “documentation”) is to reboot the router after making changes to the firewall configuration (for port forwarding).

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

7 years ago

Sad thing is, the 5268 hardware is fully capable, I helped make it!

Unfortunately, as stated back in sept, att seemingly intentionally broke the following standardized protocol in their firmware and you'll be chasing ip addresses forever to try and access externally.
reason: "TCP/UDP hole punch summary section 5.1 of the RFC 5128 document and req-9 listed in document BCP 127 - "NAT must support Hairpinning"

how do you port forward?
A-navigate through the goofy UI and tediously define and then add device profiles to firewall page and then expose your entire network by enabling dmz mode. Safer/Easier to just buy your own standard router and do this all w ease. FYI - even after you do all this, att's bogus fw will never work/forward reliably outside your home network due to protocol failure I listed above, which is why I will never be a customer until they fix. Also, I wouldn't buy static ips from att, it's sales gimmick and they try and charge for support when statics fail work properly on atts end!

Just open fcc or bbb ticket if not satisfied.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

7 years ago

HComms:

Thanks for your informed perspective on this router. As a user, I was shocked and appalled to finally concede that the 5268AC does not support loopback (aka, hairpinning). What the... ? As you point out, this is a "standard" capability supported by virtually all routers. Thankfully, I had a "spare" Asus RT-N56U on-hand and was able to use it as an alternative to the 5268AC. All the 5268AC does in my setup is act as a modem.

LOL: "the goofy UI" Well-said. Smiley Happy You've pretty much covered it all very nicely!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.