For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
digifan's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, March 8th, 2016 5:00 PM

NAT Loopback on 5268AC

Hello, my friend has AT&T modem 5268AC FXN router. We installed CCTV system and successfully configured port forwarding. He is able to access the cameras from outside the home but not within the WiFi network (BTW, he doesn't have any additional switches, routers past the AT&T router). I believe this is due to NAT loopack not working. Is there a particular setting on the router that can be changed to enable NAT loopback? Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@digifan   IIRC, NAT loopback is not available on Uverse RGs, neither fully modem/router.  Only thing would be putting the CCTV into DMZ zone. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

Appreciate the quick response. Does putting the CCTV DVR into DMZ expose it to more security risks (not just to the DVR, to my network as well)?

What solution does AT&T have for home users facing these kind of challenges? I mean we are not running any business related servers/services, we want the ability to view our CCTVs when at home and outside as well. I have NV589 router and I plan to install CCTV system at my home as well. Any workarounds would be helpful.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

It probably does, but just showing only way it could possibly be viewed not by ethernet.  Anything in the DMZ or IP Passthrough need a firewall and anti-virus.  Just look in your logs to see all the hits trying to get in from around the world. 😉

Edit:  Can you somehow host the CCTV on a computer?  Then put that in DMZ/IP Passthrough, having a SSL log in of some type, w/firewall and anti-virus.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

Is there any reason he cannot use the internal IP of the CCTV system inside the LAN?  That doesn't require NAT loopback.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

Thats what I am using. I have two profiles in my CCTV iPhone app: one for inside the home use and another for outside the home. This is just inconvenient. Also, I am planning to have an home automation controller, for which they don't allow two profiles.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I had an NVG589 until yesterday that would allow access to the public IP from inside the network (what I assume you are referring to as NAT loopback). The new Pace 5286ac does not allow this, which broke a lot of my scripts. The only solution I've found is to use the internal IP for internal assets, and public for external. This is extremely annoying on my laptop that moves daily.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Agreed, I run ownCloud via an unRaid Docker container. (ownCloud = sort of self hosted dropbox) I can access the ownCloud perfecty internally using LAN IP and externally using WAN IP. But because of the lack of NAT Loopback if I am internal and utilize my WAN IP nothing happens. This really would not be a problem for most services. When I use my Mumble server, I connect with the correct IP for my current location. But when it comes to ownCloud, which doesn't allow different connections to utilize the same data folder, I would have to have a data folder for each connection. Which is not happening. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I assume there is still no change to the Pace 5286ac firmware to support NAT Loopback/hairpining yet?     My previous UVerse 2Wire 3801HGV router supported nat loopback just fine, but looks like the 5286ac doesn't. 

Editing every device's host file (or pointing them at an HTTP Proxy) is rather cumbersome. And the Pace doesn't appear to support changing the DNS servers in the DHCP, so can't use that method to override.  

Seems like many applications and IoT devices need hairpinning and now with gigabit networks appearing, this is a significant setback.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

What's the status here? When is ATT/Pace going to update FW which broke hairpin NAT? As others have said, this was (and should be) a standard feature on 3801 and ATT is now essentially blocking customers from using the industry standardized protocols on devices which now no longer work or are not accessible. I guess I gotta go back to big ol' fat red and give this "new" 5268ac device back.

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

I am very disappointed in the 2Wire 5268AC modem for Uverse. I don't understand why they wouldn't allow NAT loopback. I use Dynamic DNS which points to my modems external IP for access to my security cameras. Ever since my Motorola modem was replaced by AT&T with the 2Wire, I can no longer get to my DDNS address on my LAN. That means having to set local addresses for when I'm home and use DDNS from outside the house.

This is a standard feature on virtually every other modem/roiuter I've ever owned. Why would it be disabled on Uverse?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.