For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bmore-nc's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Monday, April 8th, 2019 3:05 PM

Closed

iPhone wifi slow on AT&T fiber

Looking for a solution to an issue with wifi on my home AT&T Fiber network 1000 Mbps. This only occurs with iPhones connected to the my home wifi. The majority of the time my iPhone X is very slow when connected to my home wifi (10 mbps or less). The exact same behavior occurs on my wife's iPhone X as well. Only if I disconnect and reconnect to the wifi via the phone directly or resetting the router does the connect start off fast for about 5 minutes or less.  Does not matter what the signal strength is or where in the home the phone is located.

Other connected devices, such as my Macbook, TVs, Firestick, etc. do not get a slow connection. They get 200+ Mbps over wifi.

Connecting to other wifi spots that are not our home wifi the wifi works as expected and extremely well on the iPhones, which leads me to believe there is a setting / recognition from AT&T router or service that  is specifically slowing the iPhone. Does anyone else have this problem?

- iPhone connects to the 5ghz band

- Tried manually specifying the DNS server to use, such as 1.1.1.1, on the iPhone

- Tried assigning IPV4 address to iPhone when it connects, rather than letting the router choose

- Changed channels of wifi and used AT&T mobile app to auto-optimize channel selection

- Reset of router does not resolve (ARRIS BGW210-700, Software version 1.8.18)

- When wifi is turned off on iPhone to disconnect from home wifi, LTE connects and is instantly faster

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@ATTCares,

It's pretty clear many people are having this same exact issue, it's also posted on many other threads. I haven't seen any solutions yet and have waited many weeks to hear anything from your side. This is getting pretty ridiculous. It's obviously something wrong with your router or fiber. No amount of rebooting or reconfiguring is helping. I'm paying a lot for fiber internet but its just terrible and laggy and worse than my phones 4G. You've just about all but lost a customer here.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Christianjd 

This a "Community" forum, which means everyone here is a customer like you and me.  The ATTCares header is what most of the AT&T employees use to post when they come here as customers.  They aren't here in an official capacity and rarely does one actually find that they follow through on anything they comment on.

Bottom line, unfortunately this is not the place where complaints or threats make any difference.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

People have a right to complain and voice their frustrations in a civil and responsible manner. 
Suggest calling this in to tech support as well to let them know this is an issue.  
Unless and until att provides a solution for their supplied gateway, you’ll have to make a decision based on the facts at hand.  

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks, @gr8sho.  Yes, to be clear I'm not against complaining about lousy service, I just wanted to let the people know that coming here to do that is a total waste of time and effort.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

5 years ago

I also got a Netgear Orbi with one satellite.  Turned off WiFi on the BGW-210.  No more iOS 

problems.  Everything on the 10.0.0.x net now, except my UVerse DVR.  I haven’t done pass through on the BGW yet, so far I haven’t noticed any issues, and I need to find simple clear instructions for doing it, so I don’t screw things up!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

IPv6 was already turned off on mine. I tried the suggestion for Find Best Channel on both the 2.4 and the 5 and my iPhone is now surfing quickly again.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

Unless you have heavily congested wifi channels, you'll be back here fairly soon to report that the problem is back. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

I gave up on waiting for AT&T to recognize and fix this widespread issue and found an Amazon Warehouse deal on a Nighthawk router. Problem solved. With my Fiber 300 plan, I’m now getting quick page loads and up/down speeds of at least 150Mbps/150Mbps.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

Was in an att store yesterday and oddly they sell Netgear Orbi.  Wonder why that would be...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

How did you set up your nighthawk? Im not super techy but know a little but
am reading so many different opinions on set up!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.