For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
haunaben's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 2:01 PM

When will you acknowledge / fix battery drain issue?

There are now hundreds of posts across the internet confirming that the microcell causes rapid battery drain on many phones, and the only solution is to disable cellular data on the phone.

When will this be addressed?  

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

8 years ago

This is older, but I'm going to share my experience with Microcell. I have the old Microcell that is orange/white. The first year I never used it, but later hooked it up. I followed instructions and it connected perfectly......a few months later, I removed one user from the account so I had to do the entire thing over again with an ATT rep on the line. It connected again successfully. I've noticed that this is what happens sometimes: When I reboot my internet gateway (which I like to do every week just to refresh everything), this is when things will become weird when my Samsung S5 Active will be dead from 100% charge going to sleep to completely dead when I wake up. I unplug the microcell, reboot, that doesn't work.....It has something to do with the way my gateway rebooted. I can log into my  internet gateway and look at my stats, and once in a while my gateway will not reboot correctly. I rebooted my gateway, checked the #'s, they were fine, rebooted microcell again, and it no longer drains battery. This was happening even with mobile data turned OFF on my phone. I'm not sure what my gateway reboot has to do with it, but it's definitely something, because I went to bed at 100 percent, woke up to 89%.

I will add this - with microcell, texts can be terribly slow sometimes. That is why the other household member wanted off of it. Sometimes when they would leave the house and get away from the microcell, many missed texts would suddenly appear. When they were home on microcell and sent a text, often the other person would not get the text until HE left the house. Luckily, I don't text a lot, but the times I do, I make sure they get it somehow and so far they have with no problem. Not sure why this was affecting his phone and not mine.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

8 years ago

MMS/SMS issues with Samsung phones have always been, and will always be a problem with the MicroCell. Google/Android and AT&T have all acknowledged the problem but nobody wants to take the time and money to come up with a fix that will satisfy all Android device users. This is more than likely due to the open source nature of the Android OS and all of the "extra baggage" that the OEM's and carriers dump on top of the OS to make it unique.

The MicroCell does not increase battery usage of a phone. However, re-booting the system once a week is not good for the MicroCell. That forces the MicroCell to go thru the activation process again, part of which is searching for the tower and adjusting the MicroCell's  3G output. Some phones handle the handing off protocols better than others and some phones may search longer than others to find and connect to the MicroCell, and then keep searching for a stronger cellular signal when connected. Much like when out of range of the MicroCell and the phone is looking for tower connectivity. Even though within range of the MicroCell, the searching may be more frequent. I've used MicroCells from the DPH-151 to the new DPH-154 with various phones and never saw a difference in battery usage whether I was in range or out of range.

There should be no reason to need support help to remove a user from the MicroCel unless the phone number you are trying to remove is the one that was used to activate and register the MicroCell.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.