For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Gods66word's profile

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 17th, 2022 5:02 PM

New free AT&t cell booster

how do I sign up for it.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@ASSimon  Well, if that post is exactly what you received I think it was done very poorly, and have passed that along. 

The 3G sunset has been known for a very long time and discussed ad naseum in this and other forums. I'm not a fan of AT&T but I do have to side with them on that. AT&T has been posting their whitelist of phones that will work post-3G so the specs have been available for quite some time. I've also listed the basic phone requirements in my Tech Guide, so if you don't have a phone that meets those specs, then the Cell Booster won't work and maybe that's why you don't quality (just a guess on my part).

What is the exact model of your phone? Sounds like it may be an Android-based phone so I'd have to defer to the other ACE's who have Android phones to answer that. I have iPhones which have no issues whatsoever with WiFi-C and the Cell Booster. And to be clear, this is not an Apple vs Android issue. Whatever phone works best for you is the best phone.

• 

27 Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot 

That's not the problem. My phone is moto edge from last year. It's 4g compatible & on ATT list. But they don't support WiFi calling on it. Lots & lots of current model phones don't have WiFi calling or like mine, do but ATT doesn't support.

This is not about my phone or the other 4 phones on the account. They're all current model phones that work on 4g. Heck, mine works fine everywhere except where I live & work. That's why the microcell was so important. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@ASSimon  WiFi-C requires your phone to support HD Voice, which is AT&T's version of VoLTE. If the mfr didn't certify that the phone supports VoLTE, and submit that to AT&T, then it won't work. 4G does not necessarily mean it supports AT&T's version of VoLTE. Admittedly this whole mess of shutting down 3G and the mfrs deciding on whether they one, wanted to keep supporting certain line of phones and two, wanted to bother certifying their phones is all kinds of messed up. I don't like it, and certainly feel for the folks who are caught in this but it is what it is.

If your exact model of phone is on the whitelist as supporting VoLTE on AT&T's network, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to use WiFi-C or the Cell Booster.

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

I called AT&T this morning and was told there is no record of my applying for a cell booster, much less a cell booster being sent to me! It was all a fraud! My blood pressure must be sky high. Afraid to check it on my home machine! 

I left a seething message on the cell phone of John Stankey’s assistant and sent an email to my attorney. He currently has a (Edited per community guidelines) suit against T-Mobile. If he doesn’t have one against AT&T, I am suggesting he consider one. 

I was told this morning to go to an AT&T store & purchase a cell booster! I could do so, it’s not the money, but the principle. They are supposed to be providing a cell service. We pay for that service each month. We are not getting the service we are paying for! 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Soxwriter  That is part of the disconnect within AT&T that I've mentioned numerous times. Support just didn't handle the phone requests properly so the "orders" never made it to the appropriate department.

The Cell Booster, to my knowledge are not currently being sold online at AT&T or in the Corporate and Reseller stores, yet. They will be in the next few weeks but AT&T is still building up their inventory, which has been hampered somewhat with supply chain issues (Nokia).

Your attorney can try to sue AT&T but all he is going to do is take your money. Nothing will come of it. I would file a complaint with the BBB because that will go to Corporate and you should be contacted by someone from the Office of the President. Leaving a "seething" message on the Assistant's phone will probably not get you anywhere. BBB/FCC complaint is your best option.

• 

74 Messages

2 years ago

@Soxwriter a store won't have any and they will probably not even know what you are talking about as AT&T has not edumacated the stores about them at all. There is currently no stock anywhere, but when they do show up they'll show up for sale here first.

You've stated your phones "do not work well on wifi" ... there isn't really a reason that should be. WiFi-C is probably alot more reliable than these boosters are. What about your wifi-c doesn't work well? Even an older wifi-a/b network is more than sufficient for wifi-calling service.

I'm not defending AT&T, and like others have said, once there is some inventory they may hopefully consider handing out some more free ones or doing bill credits for the cost etc. on a case by case basis...and you attract more flies with honey approach may be better as the big stick approach is likely to backfire as AT&T has much bigger sticks.

(edited)

• 

27 Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot sorry but you're misunderstanding my situation. My phone supports wifi calling on other carriers, but not att. It IS on the att compatible 4g device list. Should I have chosen a phone 16 months ago for this feature only, at the expense of others, because I knew by magic that ATT would fail to bring a replacement cell booster out in time?

Bring on the att whitelist has NO impact on the lack of cell signal at my location. I need a phone on which att supports WiFi calling instead of cell calling (see paragraph above) or a cell booster to bring cell signal in via internet boost (as in microcell.) There's nothing wrong with my phone. Only att's unwillingness to support WiFi on it or provide a cell booster or provide better coverage in my area. 

I probably don't "qualify" for a cell booster because we buy unlocked phones or I get a discount through work currently (though not for 18 years of my account) or because the algorithm made a mistake (IOW no reason)

This problem is not from something I did or didn't do. It's from att having terrible customer service & zero customer loyalty.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@ASSimon  Purchasing an unlocked or locked phone shouldn't have any impact on whether you purchased or received a free Cell Booster. I always purchase unlocked phones and there's never been an issue. My guess was that it probably had something to do with your phones not supporting VoLTE on AT&T's network or your account not being provisioned for it. 4G is only part of it.

I agree that this whole whitelist has been one giant clusterfrack. Whether it has something to do with your phone's mfr not bothering to certify that your phone would meet AT&T's VoLTE requirements, and submitting that to AT&T, or an internal "mess up" within AT&T is hard to say. Once the Cell Boosters go on sale at AT&T, I'd try again and politely mention the issue and see what they can do. If there are plenty of Cell Boosters in inventory for sale, you may get lucky and one can be sent to you for free. It's hard to say what AT&T will do but they did do something like that on occasion with the MicroCell so who knows? I wish there was more that could be done but that's about it for now.

• 

27 Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot My phone model (XT-2063-2) is listed right there on p. 4 of this list of phones that "will work after we phase out 3G." It DOES work on the 4G network and ATT has confirmed that in writing and said nothing about my phone OR any of the other 4 devices on the account being a problem. They've also said that a new cell booster will work in my location and that it's eligible to use them, just that I don't qualify for a free one. None of this has anything to do with getting a good signal where there isn't one, which is the problem the cell booster corrects. You're conflating issues. But it doesn't matter because ATT has said what it's going to say. They're not going to do anything to keep my business, so I'll continue exploring other options until/if I find one that meets my family's needs. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

2 years ago

@ASSimon  Well then there's nothing more that can be done. If your phones are on the list of 4G and VoLTE (HD Voice) capable phones on AT&T's network then they should work with no issues for WiFi-C, as long as your accounts are provisioned for HD Voice.

Refresh my memory but were you one of the folks that received the second email with the broken weblink?

Moving your accounts to another provider makes no difference  to me. I'm just customer like yourself with zero issues with WiFi-C.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.