For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
land_shark3's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 4th, 2015 6:00 PM

MicroCell - works one week and then I get "activation error"

I received a MicroCell (DPH-154) last week.  I went through the activation process, received my confirmation email, and everything seemed to be working well.  This week, I received a text an email stating that the address does not match the GPS information (Error Code 102).

I check out the device and now the network light is red.  Online support gives the standard "reboot and wait 30 minutes" response.  No success there so I call the number provided.  Once again, reboot and no change in network status.  The only suggestion I get from the CSR is to call my Internet provider because something must be wrong with my Internet service.  I am currently on my computer with a download speed of 56.89 Mbps; pretty sure it is not the connection.

Any other suggestions or do I just deactivate and reactivate?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I would first try a hard reset of the Mcell.  There is a recessed reset button on the back of the Mcell that you need to press using a paper clip.  While the Mcell is powered up, press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds.  The Mcell will start over from scratch and try to establish a new connection.  Some OCD people follow the 30/30/30 rule when doing electronic resets.  While the device is powered up, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.  While continuing to hold the reset button down, depower the device and wait another 30 seconds.  While continuing to hold the reset button down, power the device back up again and wait 30 seconds before releasing the reset button.   

If a hard reset doesn't help, I would then try deactivating and reactivating the Mcell to see if that works.  The red network light on the Mcell can mean a failure of the Mcell but it can also mean that the Mcell didn't sucessfully complete a download or test from AT&T's servers.

The Error Code 102 message concerns the discrepency between the physical address you inputted during the activation process of your Mcell and the location the Mcell has determined itself to be at via GPS satellite triangulation.  If reactivating your Mcell doesn't clear the problem you should contact ATTCustomerCare (see link below) and tell them about the Error Code 102.  They can check the address in their database and make corrections so they match.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

The hard reset mentioned by Avedis53 is a good place to start. As he stated, it could be as simple as an update that didn't properly restart the MicroCell and now the unit "thinks" it has a hardware failure. The hard reset will force the MicroCell back to default status and repeat the Initial Activation process again (the details are listed in the Tech Guide), which includes looking for any updates and applying them.

Speed is only relevant in that you need at least a 3.0Mbps stable download speed. Stable is the operative word. You can have a 60Mbps download speed but if it is constantly fluctuating between say 30Mbps and 60Mbps you're going to have problems with VoIP. You line also needs to be very clean for VoIP to work optimally. Again, speed is only one small factor.

The error code is more of a problem. Usually when the GPS coordinates don't match the MicroCell is located in a rural area where the locational database has not been updated to match the E911 coordinates. However, that usually happens with the first activation, not a week or so later.

Who is your ISP and what kind of connection do you have? Do you have a "regular" street address or is it route and/or rural box number?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

The hard reset appears to have solved the problem.  I am not sure why this was not in the CSR's checklist of things to try before she suggested I call my ISP.

To answer @OttoPylot's questions (in case anyone else has this issue):

I have TWC (cable) service. 

I have a regular physical address (which the activation process "corrected").

I do not live in a rural area, but rather a suburb of Charlotte, NC.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Glad to hear that the hard reset got you back up and running again!

Stop by again if you have any problems.....with the Mcell anyway!  Smiley Very Happy

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

That's great. Unfortunately CSR's are not allowed to use the Tech Guide for support-related questions (at least not publically) so that's why Avedis53 and I are here. Some CSR's do use it from time to time in troubleshooting but they are not supposed to ackowledge that. Most, if not all of our troubleshooting is in the Guide, which I periodically update.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.