For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Adammusic's profile

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

Thursday, March 26th, 2015 8:15 PM

MICROCELL STILL DROPPING CALLS DAILY !!!!

THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO FIX THIS. MICROCELL DROPS CALLS CONSTANTLY. GREEN BARS LIGHT FLASHES AND DISCONNECTS. I HAVE TO SWITCH IF I CANT FIGURE THIS OUT ALREADY.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

Ok, your download speeds are fine as advertised. The MicroCell realistically only needs a sustained 3.0Mbps down and 512kbps up, depending on how many devices are connected at one time.

I recognize your name. Have you posted this problem before?

The MicroCell is limited to about 3.0 - 5.0Mbps download, which is plenty for voice. The Android-based devices have an issue with the MicroCell in that the OS is open source, so there is no control over how the OS or apps will interact with a femtocell. This has been an on-going problem with Samsung who is reluctant to do anything about it. MMS/SMS is an old problem with Samsung.

The MicroCell is designed specifically for voice, all data should be handled thru your WiFi connection.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

OK and I am ok with that , but... When I turn on Wifi on my phone (sure the speeds are great) but I miss calls and miss text messages.. As soon as I turn off the wifi on the phone then I get voicemails or miss txt messages or I dont get them at all and people say I called you but it didnt go through.. So I am having to turn it on for a few and do what I got to do and then turn it off so i dont miss calls.. Also since I got my new Note 5 a week ago all calls that I get at home or make at home out through the microcell cut off after 45 seconds to 1 min and 45 seconds.. they just drop.. ???

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

This is what we are seeing with some of the Android devices. We have Google/Android to thank for allowing manufacturers to come up with an incredible number of screen sizes, resolutions, and differences in features in Android phones—otherwise known as device fragmentation. It makes testing and optimizing a significantly longer process when you're trying to reach as many people as possible for a single app or mobile site.

You said your Note 5 was new. Did you ever have another phone that worked with the MicroCell? Can you add another AT&T user to your Approved Users List (preferentially a non-Android phone) to test the MicroCell?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

If it is not compatible with Android, then I think I should have been told this by AT&T before I bought it. But, I was told it should work very well. Does this device work successfully for anyone? I have very high speed internet and still drops calls. It seems like it is a set amount of time, for instance I can make several very short calls or one longer call, but max I get is 5 minutes of call time, whether it be one call or five 1 minute calls. Also, text messaging does not work for images – sending or receiving. Since I work at home and on the internet constantly, shutting off my wi-fi is not an option.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

The problem that we are seeing is that the incompatibility is inconsistent. In other words it's not across the board for all Android-based devices so AT&T support can't, or won't say it's not compatiblie with the MicroCell.

Speed is basically irrelevant if you can maintain at least 3.0Mbs down and 512kbps up. Line quality is critical though (jitter and latency). VoIP demands are fairly specific. That's why you can have no perceptible problems with your internet but you can with voice quality and/or connectivity. Because of the open-source nature of the Android OS, just about anybody can write an application or a function for the Android OS without having to worry if another function is going to be impacted. Android OS updates can vary from model to model, region to region ,etc. Apple, on the other hand has its OS locked down tightly so these kinds of issues are less likely to happen, even though iPhones are not without their problems as well. This is not to say that Apple is better than Android. I'm just pointing out the basic differences between the two and the problems that may arise. We've seen Galaxy S3's and 4's work just fine with the MicroCell and as soon as the owner upgraded to an S6, MMS/SMS stopped working reliably and calls were getting dropped. Same thing with the Notes. The earlier models worked fine but newer ones are having issues for some. It would be nice if AT&T could push a firmware update or something to the MicroCell but there are so many different flavors and devices running the Android OS that a global update would probably cause more problems than solve them. Samung is aware but they can't, or won't do anything about it because there's just no way to control application compatibility.

According to some Android programmers I’ve talked to, “we have Google/Android to thank for allowing manufacturers to come up with an incredible number of screen sizes, resolutions, and differences in features in Android phones—otherwise known as device fragmentation. It makes testing and optimizing a significantly longer process when you're trying to reach as many people as possible for a single app or mobile site.

The device fragmentation comment is exactly why WiFi calling hasn't been rolled out yet for Android devices like it has for Apple iPhone 6's and 6S's.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, thanks, everyone who has offered advice and suggestions.  Here's an update:  still having same issue.  I did get Century Link to up my speeds a bit, not much, because it's not doing what they said. I'm sure the DSL service out where I live is iffy, but i'm glad to have it. 

Let me describe again what's happening.  I am consistently, but randomly, having dropped calls. The audio that I hear, and that the other person hears, do NOT get choppy or noisy or anything like that, it just drops out.  There is no sound that indicates it happens.  THe only way we know it s dropped out is that the other person just quits responding and finally you realize it's dropped out.

At this point, the call on my Iphone is locked up, and I have to wait a few mintues for everyhing to reset, and/or power down my Iphone and power back up.  During this time the top light on the Microcell begins flashing, indicating lost network.  The other 3 lights remain normal.

THere MUST be something that is causing this, and IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

I will try any suggestons that seem reasonable.

Thanks

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

9 years ago

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3866 kbps
Upload speed: 539 kbps
Download consistency of service: 33 %
Upload consistency of service: 1 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 536 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 76 ms
Average round trip time to server: 82 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6911 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.7877275
Download TCP forced idle: 8 %
Maximum route speed: 6898 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

9 years ago

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5797 kbps
Upload speed: 549 kbps
Download consistency of service: 51 %
Upload consistency of service: 0 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 152 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 75 ms
Average round trip time to server: 82 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6876 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.1862288
Download TCP forced idle: 7 %
Maximum route speed: 6990 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

Top light flashing green must mean you have the new DPH-154 because the 3G light is at the top now instead of the bottom like it was on the white models.

What is causing your problem is the quality of your DSL line, and your VoIP tests indicate that (download consistency, jitter, max TCP delay, etc). There is nothing that AT&T can do about your line. That will be entirely up to CenturyLink. It could be as simple as a bad line connection somewhere, a tap on the line, etc.

My suggestion would be to look at how you have your phone line setup in your house back out to the MPOE (phone box). That you can control. Once it leaves your phone box, that is the responsiblity of your phone company/CenturyLink. What I did with my DSL line is tap into the phone box where the phone line came in and ran a 2-wire solid core cable from  the phone box to my computer room and to an RJ11 connector. From there, to my DSL modem. The line is dedicated so there is nothing else connected. For filtering, I placed the DSL filter between the modular phone box Test line and the line connecting the other phone outlets in the house.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, thanks for the reply and suggestions.  I have run dedicted wire, as you mentioned, from the MPOE and my DSL modem.  I do not have any other connection to that line, as I don't have any other phone jacks or connections.  I do not have a filter, that I know of, and not sure I need one since there are not any other phone jacks?

Also, have you or anyone tried the cell signal booster devices, that use an outside antenna and run signal inside to an amplier/repeater?  Do they work?

THanks,
Raymond

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.