For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Monday, January 26th, 2015 7:08 PM

MicroCell not sending MMS (pix too large)

Had MicroCell for 2 years, just recently it would not send MMS with pix from my Gallery even though the pix were reduced by the native messaging app.

TMALSS, after an hour with AT&T tech support, a trip to VZW for advice on my FiOS router, hard resets to router and MicroCell with no solution, and three days of head-scratching and testing, it was by chance determined by posting the issue on another forum, that the problem was related to the size of the pix being sent.

The native texting app on my LG G3 has no user limit settings for the size of pix.  An alternate app, like Textra or Handscent does.  Switching to Textra and reducing the limit from 1000 kb to 600 kb solved the problem of sending MMS on my MicroCell.  

I wish AT&T tech support was more informed on this issue. The problem started recently and affected my LG phone and my wife's HTC phone.  I suspect an automatic upgrade to the MicroCell software was the culprit. AT&T should have been aware of the fallout that reducing the size limit on MMS would cause, and have advised their tech support people to expect calls related to this problem.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

Thank you. The Guide is really a culmination of contributions etc from the users (and some deep digging on my part).

The MMS/SMS issue is becoming an interesting one in that it is very sporadic and doesn't seem to be limited to one specific phone type. I sent a photo last night that was about 600kb via my iPhone 5 and it successfully sent in about 15 seconds. However, that was thru iMessage via my WiFi (which I leave on all of the time).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I do not have problems with SMS/MMS when I am away from home using a cellular network.

I am able to send photos via Google Hangouts as IM messages.  (to another Hangout user)

They usually send instantly...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

I don't think the OP has issues when he's out of MicroCell range it's only when he's connected to the MicroCell and, I'm assuming, his WiFi network at the same time.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

My microcell has also stopped sending mms. It just started having problems a couple of months ago. I can send mms when I'm outside my microcell area it sends without a problem. While I'm home if I unplug my microcell I can send a mms quicker (with 1 bar) than with the microcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

What kind of phone? I'm compiling a list of these issues to send to the Admins and the kind of phone is critical, also your ISP.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Just an update.......I finally decided to deactivate/re activate my microcell......
MMS messages still will not send........
On Very rare occasion, they may send after about 5 minutes.
Without the microcell, they routinely send in under 30 seconds.
I guess the next step is to see what AT&T tech support says.......

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

What kind of phone, ISP, etc? Support will probably be of little help.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Hello Otto....

This is my original post from Mar 12, 2015....

"......I have theDPH-153. It has worked fine for over two years, except occasionally it starts dropping calls. The fix has been to do a soft reboot. Also, I added an external antennae about six months ago.
On March 7,the sending of SMS/MMS messages started slowing down. SMS up to a minute.......MMS four to five minutes or not at all. We have never had this problem previously. I have tested with photos 170kb to just over 1mb.
Currently, we are using a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 4.
I have done a reset but have hesitated to deactivate/re activate since the phone part is fine......"

My ISP is COMCAST.......I have "Blast"

This is a post to another MicroCell issue.....

"Adammusic--

I have the dph-153 and used to have dropped calls on a regular basis.

I noticed the signal  bars would fluctuate frequently.  I am in a rural area, however there is a tower about 2 miles from me. 

I also have Comcast.......I'm not bragging....

Anyway, I purchased an extension  antenna for about $15.  I have a garden window that protrudes beyond the side of the house, so I placed the antenna there.  I have rarely had dropped calls since I hooked that up.

I do routinely reboot my modem, router and microcell monthly. I remove the battery from the comcast modem.

I have found the best way to bring them back online is modem....wait a couple minutes....router...wait a couple of minutes.....and finally microcell.

If I turned them all on at close to the same time, the microcell sometimes would not connect....

Additionally, I try to keep the firmware current on the router....."

I observe that you and "Avedis53" seem to  act as "informal Moderators" to this forum; or at least in regards to MicroCell issues.
I applaud both of you for that.
  Does AT&T actually have someone who monitors (moderates)this site for related issues? 
Also, I notice there are many members who have started  new Strings all seemingly related to the MicroCell and MMS/SMS issue.  (do a search of "MicroCell MMS").
It would make sense if someone could tie all of these together.....
My therory on this MMS issue is that AT&T engineers have been regionally updating something in regards to the MicroCells that is making its way across the country.........

Finally.....Has anyone had a any solution to this MMS problem??

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

@Mcgrazz- AT&T does monitor this forum, and all of the other forums on a fairly regular basis, but not on a daily basis like Avedis53 and I do. We do have a "direct line" as  you will to the Forum Admins so we can report problems that we are unable to fix directly to them and they respond within a couple of hours (except on the weekends) so we can get their attention almost immediately.

I have reported this back to them twice now and they have been in touch with the appropriate divison. However, this is AT&T and the machine moves slowly. I have not seen nor heard of any update that is being rolled out. It could be something seemingly un-related to the MicroCell but is affecting MMS/SMS. And yes, I have been keeping tabs of the reported issues. Other than the obvious issue, the other common thread is Comcast. That doesn't mean that it's a Comcast problem but there is a commonality there. FWIW, we have iPhone 3GS, 5's and a 6 and have not had any MMS/SMS issues but iPhones use Apple's servers and send thru WiFi when available. I will link this post and send it to the Admins now so they will have it first thing tomorrow morning and then follow up with them.

What you can do in the meantime, if you haven't done so already, is send a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) stating the problem, what you have done or been told to do to fix the problem, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and your location.

Both Avedis53 and myself would like to resolve this issue as well and will do what we can to keep pushing. However, AT&T being AT&T doesn't always play nice between it's divisions so there's only so much that the Admins can do. They are aware of it and are trying to get a resolution.

UPDATE: I've just sent a rather long message to the Admins linking your post so they will see it Monday morning. Keeping fingers crossed that they can get some information internally that I can report back (if allowed).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Otto
Thank you again for all your suggestions and extreme efforts trying to solve this issue.
I am anxious to hear what the response from the AT&T admins ....

In the meantime pursuant to your suggestion,
I contacted AT&T customer Care and have scheduled a phone appointment with them tomorrow (Monday, March 23) between 7:39-9:30 pm EST.
I will of course share the results of this conversation.......

Thank you!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.