Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
tmario's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 5:50 PM

Micro cell interference with land line

Hello all,

I am hoping you can help with a vexing problem.

I have 2 microcells and all WAS working perfectly for a long time ( >1 year).

I made 2 changes to my system:  

new HP 8 outlet Gigabit switch (replacing an old 100mb)

new Verizon FIOS router with N and gigabit wired

Now, I get HORRIFIC noise in my land line.  It only goes away when I unplug the ethernet to at least one microcell.

The Verizon tech said it sounded like AC noise.  It is audible on both ends.  Cell phone calls seem unaffected.  Placement should not be an issue as it was working, but I have since tried to move one of the cells further away from the switch and an airport express.  Still noise.  I am going to try moving the first cell away from the new router as well.

Any other ideas would be welcomed....

Hoping,

Mario

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

I"d give Verizon a call and have somebody confirm that you are physically wired correctly.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

The box that Verizon installed on the outside of your house is called a NID (Network Interface Device).  The fact that you don't hear the noise when connecting a handset to the NID while both Mcells are connected would indicate to me that your house wiring has a problem somewhere.

I would also recommend calling Verizon to ring out your house wiring to see where the problem is.  Why the noise goes away when you disconnect one of the Mcells is a mystery but I don't think the Mcells are the root cause of your problem.  It may be that your wiring is fine and the problem resides elsewhere but ringing out the phone wiring will help to narrow down where the problem is if it isn't the phone wiring.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yep. My NID or MPOE has a test jack that disconnects the inside wiring from what is coming into the house so you can test quickly and easily where a problem may lie by connecting directly to the phone company or provider.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, the Verizon tech thnat came over checked everything ouot and could not come to any conclusions.  He replaced the NID and thought he ruled out the wiring and said it was electrical interference, and that it was possible that "some component (of mine) somewhere has gone bad" and putting out noise into the system.  Which, given that if i disconnect the Microcells it goes away, it seems that they are the cause.  But, I swapped them and the effect was the same.  So, could both Microcells have gone bad at the same time (in the same way)?

They both function flawlessly on the mobile side...

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

So if you believe that the tech has properly rung out your home phone wiring and it isn't the problem, then we're back to the hardware again.

I'm curious as to how far apart your Mcells are from each other.  Greater than 40 feet?

I keep getting back to your two recent hardware additions as the source of the problem.  Taking them out of your LAN one at a time and seeing what happens to the noise is what I'd be trying. 

Otto suggested that you replace the new switch with the old one and see if the problem is still present.  If so, then I'd be hitting your ISP up to replace the Actiontec router to see what happens.  I really suspect your router may be the source of the problem.  Since I can't hear the noise you are experiencing, it's hard for me to say if it is from an AC source or an RF source.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately, I threw away the old switch 😞     The two cells are over 100ft apart.  Two buildings (house and office). But, I took the switch out of the equation, still noise (on second microcell hookup) so probably not the switch.

I tried moving the main( hosue) microcell away from the actiontec (they are now about 4 ft apart)  I still get the noise when I connect the second microcell in the office.

Here's another poiece that maybe helpful.  The noise comes when I hook up both the power and the ethernet to the microcell not with either on it's own.

I'm thinkng maybe some sort of in line ac filter???  and/or ethernet filter if those exist??

I do appreciate the extra knowledgable brain cells thinking about this!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

B-I-N-G-O

one fo the adapters was bad.  While I had switched the Microcells between locations and even ethernet wires, I had not thought of power cord (and it was a bit of a pain because the cord is a bit hidden.

Thanks to everyone!

Mario

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Avedis for taking care of this. Detailed info is always helpful.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Another problem due to the AC adapter......how many of these have we seen here on the forums?

I'm honestly surprised that the AC adapter was the cause because the described symptoms don't really lead one to think of the adapter being capable of producing noise on the internet phones but we'll tuck this one away for future reference.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

I agree. The problem that I have with the adapters is that I have one of the original ones and it has been rock solid for years. I have the new MicroCell with a slightly different adapter and it has been trouble-free, so far. My feeling is that it has more to do with the equipment/ISP than the adapter. But whatever works....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.