For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
walkintheson's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Monday, April 6th, 2015 4:29 PM

M-Cell Signal Won't Load or Hold on Phones - All Lights Green

My phones will not hold onto M-Cell signal, and will not automatically connect to the M-Cell when I arrive home/come back from outage unless I power cycle or cycle in/out of airplane mode!

Issue started on 3/27. I came on forums and saw nothing related, so I assumed my unit was malfunctioning.

• I connected the new M-Cell unit by 4/2... setup took ~25 mins, successful
  • Phones would not automatically connect to M-Cell signal
  • Power cycled phones - then they connected to M-Cell
  • Let phones sit overnight - All dropped M-Cell connection and would not re-connect without Airplane mode cycles
  • Everytime the phones disengage from M-Cell connection (i.e. leave home, M-Cell or internet outage, mystery drop??) THE WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY RECONNECT without power cycle or airplane cycle
  • ATT phone support is clueless on the issue

This issue is real!!

ISP: Comcast Cable (28mps down, 7mps up) - stable internet service since issue began

Modem: Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Router: Netgear R6300 WiFi router

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

You're ranting, which doesn't help. I can completely understand your frustration but if we are to try and help you here we will need some basic info.

There is a post that says once the Lollipop 5.0 update, or whatever (I don't have an Android-based phone) was applied, the problem went away. It would be helpful for us to know what your setup is, the OS you are running, etc.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, I did that update and so far it seems to work better. It shows me going backwards down the road but I can deal with that. It has been over a year and numerous "fixes" so I am not comfortable saying it is fixed yet. I will admit it works better than it ever did before though which is very promising to me, I want to say it is fixed but I feel like a dog who has been kicked too many times.
I made the mistake of calling them to help set it up and they entered the wrong address and I fear that may be stuck in some system they are unable to fix. I am not sure what to think as I can't get answers. One guy told me it was not "bringing my number over", whatever that means. I told them to add a place holder number and make mine part of a list of 2 or 3 numbers. I have seen glitches in software where 0 means first and one is the second entry in a list and programmers screw up lists that way.
I have no idea what they have done to try and fix it and no idea what the errors say on their side. I got second hand news and it was just something to the affect of it didn't recognize my number as approved.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

Hello Otto -

The rediculousness continues!!!

Since our last exchange I spoke on the phone with someone from Social Media dept. who passed me off to some type of Tech Service...

• Kelly [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] from "Urgent Care" "attempted" to contact me... by that I mean: 1 unscheduled phone call/voicemail to me on Friday 4/24 during my work hours, with a message that told me to disable tower hand-off again (which I already informed them that I tried, with no positive impact) and then a second voicemail on Tues 4/28 (again during my work hours, so I was in a meeting and couldn't pick up), this time Kelly said that because she couldn't contact me, she is closing my case!!!! WHAT A JOKE, SHE PROVIDED NO PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONTACT HER OR HER DEPT BACK & NEVER ATTEMPTED TO SCHEDULE A CONTACT TIME TO ACTUALLY CONNECT
  • I called ATT cus service and someone said the "emailed Kelly directly to contact me" but insisted that they couldn't copy me on the email... YOU GUESSED IT... NO RESPONSE
  • The same day 4/28 I sent a case email and I received a vague email from some support person asking for contact times for a phone call... I provided times to receive a phone call... YOU GUESSED IT... NO PHONE CALL!!!

ATT support is a total joke... NOW, NOT ONLY DO WE NEED TO MANUALLY CONNECT TO THE MICROCELL... THE MICROCELL CONNECTION ISSUE HAS DEGRADED SO MUCH THAT WE CAN'T HOLD A 5 MINUTE PHONE CALL IN OUR HOME BECAUSE THE MICROCELL DOESN'T HOLD ITS CONNECTION TO THE PHONE EVEN DURING CALLS... IT DROPS MID CONVO AND THE CALL TANKS...

Just to prove Kelly *** from "Urgent Care" wrong (AGAIN!), tower hand-off is disabled, and calls still drop Micro-Cell connection during calls, phones still lose Micro-Cell connection every single night, every time I leave home and come back I need to manually connect via Airplane/Power Cycle, and multiple losses of Micro-Cell connectivity at random times during the day

THIS IS DEPLORABLE SERVICE, AND AT THIS POINT, INCOMPETENCE!!!

I hate Twitter, but at this point I am contemplating opening a Twitter Account to blow this thing up on the internet... my service experience with ATT has been my all-time worst experience with a company, hands-down.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

BTW... all this is happening with ALL SOLID GREEN LIGHTS on the Micro-Cell... and I have had 1 brief internet outage in the last month...

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

This sounds familiar. This is just how AT&T customer support operates.
every once in a while you will get a person who claims that is not what
they want at all but I don't believe it. my issue ended up being, my 2 bars
of non 4g service was too much for my phone to use the microcell. not
enough to make calls but enough to make it ignore the micro cell. I pointed
out a bug in their software with connecting to microcells and while they
acknowledged the same thing was happening on their personal phones they
never followed through with it. I repeatedly spent hours on the phone to
get to a qualified person only to have them drop the ball and neglect to
call me back as promised.

This very well could be the worst customer service I have ever experienced.
Far worse than Time Warner Cable.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

I wish there was more I could do for both of you but there's only so much I can do as a non-AT&T employee. I've forwarded your issues, again, to the Admins and am advocating as much as I can to get your issues resolved. There are lots of issues with Andorid-based devices, not just the MicroCell so it sounds like it's going to take Samsung and AT&T to work together to figure out and solve the issues. However, that doesn't excuse poor customer support regardless of the reason or who's at fault.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

As a reminder, as I certainly don't expect you to remember from a month old string...

I have iPhones... not Android based phones...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

You are correct. I remembered that after I posted but I figured you would correct me Smiley Happy

It has to be something to do with either your Service Area or your cellular account because I just don't see that issue here in our region or even in another region. That doesn't help you I know and AT&T needs to look more closely on a case by case basis. It almost narrows down to you phone and the associated account settings, especially if all the light are solid green on the MicroCell. I'll keep pushing if you want me to.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

what about the settings not working?? go into more networks and search for
micro cell. it crashes and cant search. Is this normal? I have had multiple
people even AT&T employees tell me their phone does this as well. I would
be fine if there was a way to manually force my phone onto the micro cell
so I could make a call. Right now it is sporadic if I connect to the
Microcell seems to have nothing to do with my signal strength and/or
proximity to the Microcell

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

By account settings I meant what AT&T can do on their end which is not user accessible. Sometimes there are tweaks they can do on their end. I've never been able to find out what AT&T IT does to the cellular account but I have seen some issues corrected. I'll keep pushing but please do pm CustomerCare if you haven't done so already.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.