For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
iewiwall's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, June 7th, 2021 6:03 AM

Anyone else here upset that ATT is deactivating their microcell services as of 2/2022?

Anyone else here upset that ATT is deactivating their microcell services as of 2/2022?  Anyone know how we can get them to reconsider?  I live out of town, the only way we can get internet services is wireless to our house.  In order to have a signal to call anywhere from our house, we depend on the microcell,  we don't have a house phone.  Using internet calling doesn't work for us, we just can't get that kind of bandwidth.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, we know how to use our WiFi calling and do have it enabled.  Yes, we have newer iPhone 12.  No, the AT&T cell tower in our area doesn't seem to have a good signal in our area.  Yes, we are reluctant to have Microcell discontinued as we have unplugged it in the past and noted horrible phone service with WiFi calling only.  We live on Lake Ontario and get Canadian signals from towers 35 miles across the lake, only to have the US AT&T tower 3-4 miles away not be of much use to those of us on the lake.  Please, AT&T, check your towers in Orleans County, NY to see if some sort of updating/servicing needs to be done before all the neighbors hanging onto AT&T accounts jump ship to go with Spectrum.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

@PatriciaHarris

Hmmm, spend Millions, and a decade or so, to add better coverage to an area where people are probably going to jumping ship to go with Verizon or Spectrum already, or lose a few thousand customers and a few bucks a year from each one?   

⚖️

Unfortunately no carrier can provide service everywhere. Sometimes the carrier is going to choose to lose all their customers in a fringe area rather than spend too much money to try to keep a few. Since it is on us customers to make these decisions that affect us the ball is now in your court. 

I understand Spectrum offers a pretty good unlimited deal if you also have their home services. 

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Agree with above that we are worried about losing our Microcell.  In my area of NY in Orleans County on the shore of Lake Ontario AT&T service is almost nonexistant, even with their tower being within 3-4 miles of our homes.  We constantly get Canadian signals 35 miles across the lake that are stronger than AT&T.  We have used their Microcell for many years.  Yes, we know how to use WiFi calling and have that activated at all times.  Yes, we have newer phones, iPhone 12.  Yes, we have tried turning off the Microcell for a few days as a trial and saw firsthand that WiFi calling alone doesn't cut it.  Many calls never rang and went straight to voicemail, only to notify us hours later.  Many calls dropped while talking.  Many times going to make an outgoing call we got the dreaded call failed.  We have called AT&T many times in the past to request that they check to see if our local towers need service or updates, etc.  Neighborhood is ready to jump ship to Spectrum cell service.  Please check the towers in the area for us.  Zip code for usage is 14477.  Thank you. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

I’m upset they shut down 2g and my iPhone 3 doesn’t work anymore

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

Too bad LTE and 5G does not have the range that 2G had. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Woo Hoo!  Got a letter from AT&T,  they're sending me a newer microcell that will work with their newer system.

I disconnected our older microcell since it wasn't being updated and we were having problems and our reception at home definitely declined.  We have to stand in one or two spots around our house and make sure our phone is pointed in a certain direction or we cannot hear the other party, very annoying.  So, I'm very happy that we'll be getting a newer microcell. 

Check you mail and emails, you might be getting one too.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@iewiwall Yep. AT&T is starting to send out notifications to most current MicroCell users who still have active accounts (they are either still using them or they have not deactivated them from their MicroCell Settings page).

I am in the process of updating my MicroCell Technical Guide so it should be available via my sig line in a few weeks. Not much has changed as far as operating and setup but I will update it with current info.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Got our new microcell, have full bars on my phone and good call quality most of the time.

Happy person here🤩

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@iewiwall Excellent. If you have any issues just post back. I'm always here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.