Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
Samuelvass's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, September 12th, 2015 7:21 PM

Closed

Why has this device has been blocked from network use

Hey, I keep getting this message and Im not able to call anyone since, can someone help me or explain??

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

5 years ago

The PD has an obligation to take it as a lost item.  It’s not at&t’s Job to return lost or stolen phones.   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

ATT seems to be pretty naive about blocking IMEI. I am now going thru' absolute **** and all thanks to ATT. 
Here is what happened - I own and use a 8+ and bought a new X from Fry's on 11/08. I did change my SIM the next day and the phone worked fine all Saturday and Sunday. Now don't tell me ATT automated block don't work on the weekends 🙂
Anyway I could not make any calls on Monday. 11//11. I had a flight - Business travel so switched my SIM to 8+ (It's a ATT phone). My calls are still blocked - Now you would think the automated system tracked down the IMEI and enabled call.

No luck so I called and did talk to a lady who said she has unlocked my device and calls will go thru'. I did try and left in the afternoon for NJ. When getting out of the office the next day realized my calls has been now blocked again. Absolute chaos. Renting a car, Navigation is not available and you have to drive to your hotel :-). Managed and used the laptop to chat and worked with the technician to manually update the IMEI of the 8+.

Now that I came back to CA, decided to visit the nearby store and show them the receipt of the purchase so they can unblock the phone which rightfully I own. The store on Mowry, Fremont Hub, Fremont CA are some piece of work. One guy Sean who has the solution go and return and get a new phone. To me why buddy, It's you the carrier has blocked and I am the owner so who ever called and reported as stolen go and get him. It's like me calling the cops and reporting the ATT center in Fremont Hub is selling Marijuana and then they sealing the whole place 🙂

The store manager asked me to leave and called threatened to throw me out as I did not buy the device from ATT so not their problem. Now I will go and return the phone as well as switch to T-Mobile or Sprint but I guess ATT can't run away from an issue which entirely they own. If the device has been resold by Apple certified reseller then they are calling the Seller Fry's dealing with stolen goods or Apple indulging in stolen devices. As a logical step I am first going to confront Apple and then report to the cops and will go from there.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

4 years ago

@sand1976 

You really don’t get it do you?  
For whatever reason Fry sold you a bad phone, it’s on them.  Blacklists are universal and any carrier would have rejected that phone.   It did take 2 days to register the new IMEI on AT&T and then to catch it as a blacklisted device.  When you swap your own SIM card that’s totally normal.  They sometimes never register if the phones are the same model.  
Doesn’t matter, it’s irrelevant.

Once you used the blacklisted phone, your SIM card became associated with the bad device.  In many cases replacing the SIM card is required.

This is Fry’s bad, not AT&T’s 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 , It's not fry's bad as Fry's does not manufacture the phone in their back yard 🙂 If someone has returned the phone then it goes back to testing and then gets refurbished before landing on a store. 
Do you work for ATT? Is this the official response from ATT? Just curious to know.

Second, If the carrier blocked it as it was reported stolen now the owner (That's me - I have paid in full and have the receipt) when requesting to unblock then ATT should oblige. 
Second, which world exactly you have been living? The systems are automated and the very minute my SIM is put on a new device it identifies and should have triggered the lock with immediate effect. 
Now why do't you enlighten me how the seller will know the device has been blocked by ATT? I either have a choice to sue Frys or ATT or both so I will be happy to listen your version. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

4 years ago

@sand1976 wrote:

@lizdance40 , It's not fry's bad as Fry's does not manufacture the phone in their back yard 🙂 If someone has returned the phone then it goes back to testing and then gets refurbished before landing on a store.    Um, At&t does not make/manufacturer Phones.     If Fry takes refurbished phones, this is probably not the first time one popped up as blacklisted.  It is entirely on Fry to make good to YOU.  

Do you work for ATT?   No.  Is this the official response from ATT?  (Sigh) The Community is not At&t support.   AT&T does not deal with gray market sales, and will not help you other than to apologize (for something NOT their problem).  You will not get any “official response” other than the sound of running water (At&t washing their hands of your problem). 

Just curious to know.

Second, If the carrier blocked it as it was reported stolen now the owner (That's me - I have paid in full and have the receipt) when requesting to unblock then ATT should oblige. 

No, incorrect.  Fry is not a legitimate seller of Apple devices. That means whoever was license to sell the device originally blacklisted the device as lost or stolen. It will never be un-blacklisted.  Return it.  

Second, which world exactly you have been living? The systems are automated and the very minute my SIM is put on a new device it identifies and should have triggered the lock with immediate effect.    Also incorrect.   The system does not necessarily automatically and instantly update.   In fact it is advised that you can fool the AT&T system when trying to use a non-AT&T phone, by first registering a Sim card on the system with an AT&T device, then swapping the Sim card into the non-AT&T phone.    It is often required to have AT&T manually switch the IMEI in their database.  Especially in the case of insurance or warranty replacement.  
Now why do't you enlighten me how the seller will know the device has been blocked by ATT?   I do not know where Fry purchases their stock. Did it fall off the back of a truck?  Overstock goods?    Doesn’t matter.  Return the phone, yours is blacklisted.  

I either have a choice to sue Frys or ATT or both so I will be happy to listen your version. 
🙄.  Or you could just do what any normal grown-up does and return the phone and let fry know that it’s blacklisted.   
you cannot sue your cell phone carrier.  😆.  And just what do you think you could sue them for?     AT&T is obligated to enforce the international blacklist.  Whoever reported the phone as lost or stolen is the only legal and legitimate owner, and had every right to blacklist the phone.

Contact Fry and return the phone.  🙄

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 , Thanks and yet I checked on and found Fry's is one of the largest re seller of Apple. It's like Costco selling Apple. 

Returning is definitely an option but I also want to understand. Now that I have the phone and I decided to return it can go and call to blacklist and block the IMEI. 
Anyway I will check with Apple store one time. ATT definitely is a party to the law suite as they blocked my service. They are the service provider and I don't owe them a penny.
I am not sold on their obligation to law enforcement as by blocking the service won't do any good and the person in possession will simply throw and move away. I think they rather helping the person get away with the act.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

There are more scams out there than one person can think of. My experience was at&t did not have our back even after reassuring us they did.

Here is one scenario. Person sells phone. Phone checks out and AT&T says phone is legit. Person waits a year then says it is stolen. Insurance pays and reports phone as stolen. Your phone suddenly becomes a paperweight.

Change “person” to “thief steals a shipment or robs a store” in inside job. Same outcome.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am the owner of this phone and need my service asap

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Same here at&t could u help me out i can’t receive or call anyone

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Blakeepetty 

As this thread is from 2015, please start your own. Include the exact model of phone and what is happening when you try to use it. Be as detailed as possible.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.