Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
Michaelb38's profile

5 Messages

Saturday, August 5th, 2023 10:34 AM

I have experienced fraud at an AT&T Store

I am looking for the best way to report fraud I experienced at an AT&T store. I was misled and scammed by the store rep. Now when I call to speak to the store manager, he tells me the manager is not in. Customer service and customer legacy have been unhelpful. How can I open a case to get my issue reviewed?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 months ago

Maybe we should just create a sticky at the top of the page; "Before Purchasing a phone or service, read this:"

However, now that I think about it, that would require folks to read the stickie, and if they don't have the good sense to read what is given them at a store, or question why they weren't given any paperwork, before agreeing to anything, then what's the point?

Caveat emptor.

5 Messages

10 months ago

I wasn’t given anything to read. I love how you start judging someone else without knowing all the facts. Are you paid by AT&T to harass people who get scammed. Do you always blame the victim? I prefer you asked questions instead of making assumptions. We were told verbally the phones were offered at $400 and we asked to buy them not pay in installments. It is a tacit contract if you are bound to the provider for 36 months regardless of whether it is hardware or service. I M sure that I could have been better prepared to avoid the scam artist. It still doesn’t mean they have a right to take advantage of me and my hard earned money.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

10 months ago

I prefer you asked questions instead of making assumptions.

Ok….here are some questions:

1.  Did you sign SOMETHING?  A piece of paper?  A receipt?  

2.  Did you READ anything before you signed it?

3.  Did you pay for the phone(s) before you walked out the door?

4.  Did you think you were getting a $700 phone for $400?  And if so, did you ever question WHY you were getting a $700 phone at a discounted cost?

We anxiously await your response.

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

10 months ago

@Michaelb38  Again, your best course of action is to file a BBB complaint, which will get it escalated to upper management, or file the notice of dispute.  It’s pretty obvious that normal AT&T customer service isn’t going to be able to do anything for you.

To be absolutely honest, I think you will have a very difficult time proving fraud.  All you seem to have is your word about who said what.  Them telling you that the phone would only cost $400 is not false.  However, that comes with a number of conditions, because it’s a promotion.  Even if you could prove that they never explained the conditions to you beforehand, you likely agreed to the terms and conditions when you bought the phone, whether you know it or not.  Maybe you signed something, or checked a box, or whatever.  Also, the T&C were likely printed on the receipt, or on some other paperwork you got when you bought the phone.  Even if you didn’t read it right there and then, you had 14 days to read it and return the phones to get out of it.

AT&Ts position will likely be either that you were told, or simply misunderstood, and that’s on you.  Regardless, doing the complaint is about your only possible success path.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.