For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Michaelb38's profile

5 Messages

Saturday, August 5th, 2023 10:34 AM

I have experienced fraud at an AT&T Store

I am looking for the best way to report fraud I experienced at an AT&T store. I was misled and scammed by the store rep. Now when I call to speak to the store manager, he tells me the manager is not in. Customer service and customer legacy have been unhelpful. How can I open a case to get my issue reviewed?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 months ago

You knew going in that a NEW iPhone13 cost more than $400, right?

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-13?afid=p238%7CsQkksvlfo-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_646271113868_pgrid_142651389524_pntwk_g_pchan__pexid__&cid=aos-us-kwgo-iphone--slid---product-

Did you pay for the phones before you left the store?  Why didn’t you just buy the phone(s) from Apple?

ETA:   The “contract” is for the device, not the service.  It’s actually an installment plan for the device.  AT&T does not have contracts for service.

From the website:

Get iPhone 13 starting at $10.99/mo. for 36 mos.

Limited time offer.

You'll need to:

• Purchase iPhone 13 128GB, iPhone 13 256GB, or iPhone 13 512GB on a qualifying 0% APR installment agreement, including taxes on full retail price (up front) and $35 activation/upgrade fee.
  • Activate or maintain eligible postpaid unlimited wireless service (min. $75/mo. for new unlimited customers before discounts.).  AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy.

After that you'll get:

• Up to $334.44 in bill credits on iPhone 13 128GB
  • Up to $254.52 in bill credits on iPhone 13 256GB
  • Up to $274.68 in bill credits on iPhone 13 512GB

Important notes:

• Credits start within 3 bills and will be applied in equal amounts over the term of installment agreement. You will receive catch-up credits once bill credits start.
  • If you cancel wireless service, your credits will end and you'll owe the remaining balance on the installment agreement.
  • For new lines if you cancel service on any other line on your account within 90 days of activating a new line under this offer, device credits will stop.
  • If buying on the AT&T Installment Plan with Next Up, customer is responsible and will not receive any credits for an additional $6/mo. for the Next Up upgrade feature.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

9 months ago

What sort of response have you got when you call AT&T and speak with their customer service?

5 Messages

9 months ago

They want to explain the bills or go over the promotion details regarding the iPhone 13. Nobody wants to address the original fraud perpetrated by the sales rep and they explain there is nothing that can be done because the 14 buyers remorse period expired.

5 Messages

9 months ago

I was told I could buy the phones for $400 each. I didn’t want installments. I thought I was buying the phones but actually I entered a contract for 36 months. If I leave to go to another provider I must pay full price for the phones at 729.99 each. So I was lied to. He said no contract but actually the promotion is a contract. The sales rep won’t let me speak to the store manager. When I call he says the manager is out or not working.

5 Messages

9 months ago

I spend more than four hours with customer service escalating to managers and supervisors. It’s a complete dead end and farce. It’s designed to make you give up and go away.

ACE - Master

• 

10.5K Messages

9 months ago

You can file a BBB complaint, or a notice of dispute with AT&T.

https://www.att.com/help/notice-of-dispute/

Good luck.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

9 months ago

So you indicate you made your purchase in a store, you signed and installment agreement and a sales slip. Did you read either one?

Because the details of the promotion were in that paperwork. If you signed it and didn't read it, that is why no one is helping you.  The written agreement overrides anything you think you heard verbally.

By the way the information that Skeeter posted above, taken right off AT&t's website where anyone can read it, and would have been in the paperwork that you signed, is nearly identical to anything else offered by T-Mobile or Verizon.  

These deals are offered by all service providers in order to keep you as a customer so they make the money back on the phone deal by selling you service.   Just because you didn't understand the spirit or the letter of the deal does not make it fraud. And by signing the agreement while you were in the store, you agreed to the terms.  

Never put your John Hancock on something you have not read. All service providers provide information on their websites beforehand so that you can be an informed consumer before you buy.

You can file all the complaints in the world you want through the better Business bureau, all you're going to get is an explanation and maybe a copy of what you signed from AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 months ago

@formerlyknownas  I just don't get it. Doesn't anybody read the paperwork/receipts they are given before leaving the store or signing/agreeing to anything anymore? And if they weren't given anything, like in a Retail Store, that should send up all kinds of red flags. Even then, there's a 2-week period to go over things and question if something doesn't look or feel right.

If they can't get anywhere with AT&T then that does sound like they did business with a Retail Store and not AT&T directly and that's why AT&T is reluctant to help, going past the 14-day buyer's remorse period notwithstanding. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

9 months ago

@OttoPylot 

I'm gonna tell my Verizon 'old phone put on 2 year contract' story every time someone admits they didn't read before signing.  

🤨

Yes it's punitive. It gets longer every time I have to retell it.

If you are signing something you are signing a legal document with financial obligations. If you didn't read it you're at fault.

And if anyone thought they could buy a brand new iPhone 14 for only 400 bucks, and walk away with it, they're delusional.   There is always some kind of quid pro quo

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 months ago

I just don't get it. Doesn't anybody read the paperwork/receipts they are given before leaving the store or signing/agreeing to anything anymore?

Y’all know where my attorney (daughter) stands on this:

DON’T SIGN (or agree to) ANYTHING IF YOU HAVEN’T READ IT.  🙄. And if it ain’t in writing, don’t count on it.  I don’t care what the salesperson tells you.  

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.