Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
jujusf's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 4:22 AM

DO NOT buy your iphone 7 at AT&T

Hello Community,

just a head's up, DO NOT buy your iphone 7, like me at AT&T. Why? Read on.

I will just talk about the iphone 7 32GB, but I own a 7 plus 64GB and the same applies.

When AT&T offers you a "discounted" iphone on your new line, beware. I found out first that the purchase price, $649, or 24 payments of 27$, which is ..exactly the same as Apple list price, but with the added contractual commitment. The price on the apple website is $649, for an UNLOCKED phone, which means you can use this phone on AT&T but also any other carrier (if you want to change carrier later, or travel abroad and want to use a local sim card, it will come handy).

But the biggest r*off is on the protection plan. Basically, apple care plus covers all damages for the phone and cost you $129 for 2 years, or essentially 5$ a month. AT&T, through his partner Asurion, offers a "great" protection plan for...$9 a month. They tell you one great advantage is that for a reduced cost, the local technicians will come to your home and repair the phone on-site for usual damages (cracked screen being the most common)....Well , let's see, with Apple care you pay $29 for a cracked screen repair, $129 with no apple care. For iphone 6 and 6s, the in house repair for cracked screen is charged...$89 deductible. But for iphone 7, Insurion is not qualified (yet?) for iphone 7 repairs, so the only choice is to repair yourself outside of AT&T protection plan (why take an insurance then???) , or pay $225 for a brand new device exchange....Great deal!! Even if iphone 7 was covered by AT&T, how can a 89$ deductible and $9 a month be a good deal when full price repair is $129 at Apple with no insurance???

Do the math people....AT&T always sounds good when you are at a store. They end up being a r*off most of the time. The only advantage seems to be the installed payment. Well you can get that on amazon or many other places too, including Apple themselves..

Conclusion: If you are on AT&T get a 7 unlocked at apple and get apple care plus if you want coverage. MUCH better deal than AT&T. Did I mention you can change carrier when you want then?

Jul

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

Hello lizdance40,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I also feel the need to poke holes...

1.   ATT does NOT sell phones at a discount, nor are they advertised that way.  "Contracts" are gone.

ATT sells at the same price as Apple and both have payment plans.  

Correct, but this is NOT what you are told in stores. In my case 2 recent occasions in 2 different stores, one for my s7 to s8 upgrade and one upgrading my son from s6 to iphone 7. Both times I asked why take a payment plan, and beyond the obvious response that there is a interest free credit I was specifically told I was getting a discounted price against my commitment. This is obviously not written anywhere, and I should have done my research, but given it seems to be common practice in the stores to say so, I think it is good for people to know that they can buy the same devices, and in case of Apple unlocked devices at the SAME price. I am glad you know. I did not and was told the contrary. I imagine some other people don't.

2.   I agree and advise customers to buy the unlocked version from Apple directly.  Why anyone would buy a full priced phone with less connectivity and inferior chip set makes no sense. 

Again we agree 🙂

3.  Apple care plus is an extended warranty with "oops" protection.  It does not cover lost or stolen.  Considering iPhone are the most stolen smartphone, it's a risk not to have this coverage and Apple knows it, which is why they don't offer it, and why the price is lower than Asurion.  Square trade offers a similar price and similar coverage.  

Agree and it is a choice. But int the specific case of iphone 7 with AT&T/ASSURION, it is mutually exclusive. You get full replacement for $225 no matter what happens to your phone (screen cracked, button blocked, phone stolen). For every other phone you have screen repair for a more reasonable deductible OR full replacement, which is much better.

4.   Apple care plus charges a deductible for "damage due to handling".  Only warranty is no charge.

5.   Asurion has declining deductible.  The $225 deductible is reduced in 6 months and again to 50% off after 12 months.  

OK...

6.  I do not use insurance.  We are not prone to losing or breaking phones.  In 20 years and many phones, only one lost, one chewed by a puppy and one quit working.  Still saved over $5,000 in premiums alone.  

In my cas elots of cracked screens. Cracked screen is the #1 claim, it is the picture used to illustrate the plan. Yet cracked screen is NOT covered by the AT&T insurance plan and they don't tell you until your screen si cracked!

7.  Asurion is the only provider that covers mobile completely , and is the provider all carriers use.  It's a monopoly in my opinion, but the coverage is not required.  

Yes, yet they are not certified to repair iphone 7...

8.   Sometimes it works out.  A friend of mine took the Mobile protection pack.  She recently paid $66 deductible and got a check for $1,500 to replace her Mac Pro Air (or whatever they call the Apple tiny laptop).  While it didn't cover the full replacement cost, it was significant toward the cost.

In summary, while I agree with the title statement, it isn't for the reasons you wrote as some of your premise is incorrect.  

Where is my premise incorrect?  It is not. My post was specifically about the iphone 7. You agree phone should be bought at Apple above, and apparently you did not know that there is NO option to repair at reasonable deductible the phone with AT&T insurance plan. I got Samsung and an iphone 6 s repaired before under that same plan and would say it is an ok plan, even if deductible are still super high for repair. Just does not work for the iphone 7. Hence my title. Maybe we agree in fact...

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

You may have come to the right conclusion but for all the wrong reasons.

Glad we agree on the conclusion, potentially..

- No one sells iphones at a discount. ATT's price is the same as everyone else.

This is not what I was told in the AT&T store, at 2 occasion I think it is important for people to know. Glad you and other community experts know. Many don't.

- Insurance is optional and has nothing to do with where you purchase your phone. You could buy it anywhere and still sign up for insurance. You can buy AppleCare regardless of where you purchase the phone too.

Yes I agree with that. I just advised people to consider Apple Care instead of the insurance plan AT&T has for iPhone 7 specifically, because AT&T does not cover any repairs properly under this plan, again specifically for the iphone 7.

- The ATT version of the iphone is locked to ATT regardless of where you buy it. Obviously, ATT only sells the ATT version but it would still be locked if you bought the ATT version from Apple or anywhere else. If you want to say don't buy the ATT version, fine but all your other reasons for not buying from ATT are irrelevant.

I understand that very well. What other reasons? There are no other reasons than:

- AT&T does not have any discount, sells you only the locked phone and locks you in for 2 years of service

- AT&T Insurance plan for iphone 7 does not cover screen repair, hence giving you only the option of a $225 deductible for ANY claim. Something to consider seriously when screen repairs are $129.

- AT&T is misleading in writing on their insurance plan (contrary to what David states above,, there is NO documentation of the fact that iphone 7 does not offer the screen repair option). The plan documentation does state that you can get the screen repaired for $89 but there is no way to  know (and sales people certainly don't tell you) that option is not available for iphone 7

- AT&T staff have been misleading to me twice in 2 different stores about why I should buy the device form them, stating I am getting a discount against 2 years service commitment.

All facts that people should know before considering buying an iphone 7. I think in fact we may agree, just need to read exactly what I am saying.

Jul

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

@jujusf I just want to point out it's ASSURION, not INSURION. You've gotten the name wrong literally every single time in this thread

@Anonymous, thanks but it is actually ASURION, only 1 's'.... 🙂

Will make sure I spell it correctly , now that I know!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jujusf.  Unless there is a promotion that you qualify for, Installments are not required.  There is no discount for using Next.  Horse pucky, And I would have told them so.

ATT phones are only locked until paid off.  Which doesn't always mean 2 years.

Of course cracked screen is covered!   Your insurance covers any damage.  In some cases the insurance will cost you more than repairing on your own.   Who told you otherwise?

~~~~~~copy from above......

In summary, while I agree with the title statement, it isn't for the reasons you wrote as some of your premise is incorrect.
Where is my premise incorrect? 

Read again....I wrote SOME   Some was right, not all.  

Insurnace does cover cracked screens on iPhone 7.  In some areas there is screen replacement for insured devices for $89.  Unfortunately not everywhere. 

You can go to Apple and they will repair for $150 (not using insurance) or make an insurance claim and pay the $225 deductible, unless you are over the 6 month mark, then it's $168.  Insurance sends you a full replacement phone.  On the chance that more than a cracked screen is wrong, some choose a full replacement.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@jujusf We've seen lots of complaints about ATT stores on this forum and not that I don't believe you, you are the first to ever say the store told you that you were getting a discount on the phone by using the Next plan. If someone really said that, they flat out lied to you.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

Read again....I wrote SOME   Some was right, not all.  

Insurnace does cover cracked screens on iPhone 7.  In some areas there is screen replacement for insured devices for $89.  Unfortunately not everywhere. 

You can go to Apple and they will repair for $150 (not using insurance) or make an insurance claim and pay the $225 deductible, unless you are over the 6 month mark, then it's $168.  Insurance sends you a full replacement phone.  On the chance that more than a cracked screen is wrong, some choose a full replacement.  

Hello,

I respect the fact you are an "expert" here, but  I am unsure why you can state my statements are only partially correct They are all facts that iphone 7 future upgraders should know about.

Here is why the statement that "cracked screen is not supported by AT&T insurance" is correct. I I've in a main urban area. Last week my wife's iphone 6  got cracked and I filed a claim under Asurion, and was given the choice to have an in home repair, with a $89 deductible (yes @Gary L, they do come to home to replace the screen as per the plan description states), or replace the phone for $225. I chose in home repair. I had an old Samsung s7, and was still covered under insurance so I took advantage to schedule a repair at the same time. All great. Then my son's iphone 7 screen cracked. I filed a claim and...surprise I was told iphone 7 repair is not available in my area! Yet...

- The iphone 7 has the SAME insurance plan as the other 2 phones

- None of the documentation available online discloses the fact that the screen repair option is not available for iphone 7, while, again it is the most common repair, it is one of the most costly repairs on your phone, and it is advertised in the plan as a main option

- The page that some "experts" pointed me to describing the AT&T insurance plan is misleading. it displays a cracked screen, hinting to the fact that this will be covered . It states specifically you have a screen repair option. Iphone 7 is listed when you see the list of devices covered. This is misleading customers to say the least. See this https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html

- The technician, who is actually here in my home now (yes, they do come at your home to replace your screen) is replacing the s7, the i6s, he is perfectly trained to replace the i7 screen as well, but yet...he can't because Asurion would not

- After an hour on th phone with Asurion, someone finally confessed that Asurion is NOT certified to repair iphone 7. No matter where you live.

- You stating that it is covered because well you could chose to pay a 225 deductible while the repair costs $129 (not $150, see previous link to Apple) is misleading to say the least. yes, you can also buy a brand new one full price if you want to.... Why not? But why pay insurance every month then if deductible is higher than the most common repair costs?

To make it more concrete, here is a picture of the 3 phones. See below. All covered by Asurion. The iphone 6s and S7 will get repaired today for a $89 deductible. The iphone 7 won't, because that option is NOT available for iphone 7, yet it is advertised as being an integral part of this insurance plan. Not available anywhere. Period. 

Again before you state that my statements are inaccurate in a public forum, please read the details. 

Best,

Jul20170516_101829.jpgToday the left 2 phones will be repaired, in home by AT&T insurance services..Iphone 7..not an option!

1 Attachment

Associated Member

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

I think it was a matter of communication error. Because the NEXT plan does offer a discount. So to explain a little is that customers that were upgrading on a 2 year was paying $40 access fee. Customers that did the NEXT plan received a credit of $25 and only paid $15 for the access fee. So there is your "discount"

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

7 years ago

@jujusf We've seen lots of complaints about ATT stores on this forum and not that I don't believe you, you are the first to ever say the store told you that you were getting a discount on the phone by using the Next plan. If someone really said that, they flat out lied to you.

Yes, and twice in 2 different stores for 2 different upgrades (S7 -> s8 for me and s6 -> i7 for my son). I questioned the NEXT plan and they stated to me the great benefit was getting a discount, on top of the financing (which you can get elsewhere). I should have double checked, but was at the store and just believed what they said. My point overall, like others noted, is if the device is not cheaper, why take a commitment while you can get an unlocked device for the same price elsewhere... When you add the insurance plan nightmare, there seem to be lots of reasons to buy your iphone 7 at Apple directly, hence my somewhat provocative but still accurate title of my post! I think people should know...

Jul

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Rcorbi wrote:
I think it was a matter of communication error. Because the NEXT plan does offer a discount. So to explain a little is that customers that were upgrading on a 2 year was paying $40 access fee. Customers that did the NEXT plan received a credit of $25 and only paid $15 for the access fee. So there is your "discount"

Sorry, I've got to call the baloney flag on that. The access fee discount is for not being under a 2 year service contract. Buying a phone on a Next plan does not get you the discount and since ATT hasn't sold subsidized phones for well over a year now, at best that's misleading.

Associated Member

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

If you research it you will see. I am an AT&T rep and have been doing this for years. I don't mislead customers and one thing you can Bank on is the information I just gave you is more than 100 percent accurate.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.