For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Brodskjo's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, December 25th, 2016 4:30 PM

Connecting to AT&T network in ixtapa mexico

On arrival my iPhone 6 connected to at&t mx but after one day it now only connects to Movistar. I've turned it off and on, I can't seem to get off Movistar. My iPad is connected to AT&T mx. Any ideas?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

You probably have the phone set to automatically select the carrier. You can set that to manually select the carrier but there is probably no reason to. If you have the free Mexico roaming, it does not matter which carrier. Last time I was in Mexico, Movistar is what I used most of the time. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Brodskjo wrote:
On arrival my iPhone 6 connected to at&t mx but after one day it now only connects to Movistar. I've turned it off and on, I can't seem to get off Movistar. My iPad is connected to AT&T mx. Any ideas?

No idea why you're concerned about it.

You've got Mexico roaming, right?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

How do you change the phone to manually select networks?
Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

You need to contact AT&T on the phone to enable Manual Network Selection (Manual Carrier Selection?)

Be patient with them, some don't know about it. 

But I can't remember if that's one of the features you need to enable before you leave the country.

Just ask for International customer support. If you are already traveling in Canada or Mexico, call 1-916-843-4685. (Outside North America, network selection is already enabled.)

I'm pretty sure you'll need to power the phone completely off afterwards

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L There should be no need to contact ATT to enable manual selection of carrier. Once an iPhone is roaming, there should be a carrier option in settings. I know I've seen it on my iPhone when roaming. See this article: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KB111488

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L There should be no need to contact ATT to enable manual selection of carrier. Once an iPhone is roaming, there should be a carrier option in settings. I know I've seen it on my iPhone when roaming. See this article: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KB111488

@sandblaster You saw it in Canada/Mexico? or somewhere else in the world? (Outside North America, I thought network selection was already enabled.)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L Yes, in Mexico. An iPhone is normally set to automatically select a carrier but you can change that to manual. When you do, you then see a list of available carriers kind of like you do when selecting a wifi network.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

Yes, in Mexico. An iPhone is normally set to automatically select a carrier but you can change that to manual. When you do, you then see a list of available carriers kind of like you do when selecting a wifi network.

I have it enabled on mine. Trying to recall the reasons why...

At the time, I don't remember seeing the options in Canada. I was having issues near the border, I kinda remember being on a different network than the other people I was with and some worked better than others, I don't recall seeing choices so I called them later and had it enabled for me, it popped up right where I would have expected to see it (so I'd have thought if it was there at the time I'd had spotted it). I think part of the problem was it would lock onto a network for voice, but the data would be egde (or nothing).

I'll pay attention next summer on other's phones (there is in island park in Detroit that is next to Canada) that I often go to and see what the other iPhones say. That's assuming I didn't enable it on the other lines!

The way the question was worded I didn't think they were just looking for the "enable" button 🙂

@Brodskjo It sounds like you already should have it enabled on your phone. Did you check the settings?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I don't know how to enable it. I can not make calls while connected to Movistar unless I'm connected to wifi, that's why I'd prefer AT&T. It's choosing Movistar for me and there doesn't appear to be an option on my phone to change it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Brodskjo wrote:
I don't know how to enable it. I can not make calls while connected to Movistar unless I'm connected to wifi, that's why I'd prefer AT&T. It's choosing Movistar for me and there doesn't appear to be an option on my phone to change it.

You didn't say if these instructions worked for you?

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KB111488

(Or if you tried calling)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.