For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
BiknSwans's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 1:07 PM

charge for incoming iMessages

It seems my wife and I are being charged for incoming iMessages. We both have iPhones with IOS 5.0 (now 5.1) installed and have iMessage turned on.  When I send her a message, her name turns blue and the message is in blue.  The same thing happens when she sends me a message from her phone.  However, when I view my online charges at ATT.com, all the incoming messages are labeled "Text/IM messaging" and "1Msg" shows up in the "Msg/Kb/Min" column.  I see the same thing when I send a text to another friend who does not have an iPhone with IOS 5.0.  We haven't gotten a paper bill yet.

Outgoing messages sent using iMessage appear in blue on the phone, are labeled "Internet/MEdia Net" on AT&T's website and the column labeled "Msg/Kb/Min" lists the number of bytes set, for example 82KB.  I'm assuming that these are free.

I searched the forums and Apple's Support, but see little or no discussion about incoming iMessages, only sending messages.  Are incoming messages all treated as SMS text messages, and will I be charged for them?  I am on the pay per text plan, so this matters to me.  I had thought that all iMessages would be free between Apple devices, but perhaps that's not the case.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

First thanks for this posting its been very helpful.

I just notice it today when I recieved my bill and research why?

I immediately saw tex messaging charges for incoming and outgoing.

Just like many here who rarely check the actual at&t bill I was surprise as I dont use SMS to tex just imessage.

I thought for a long time that it was free, My son has an ipod and he imessage and facetime me all the time, its an ipod so its totally FREE

All along mine will be free too. This is one of AT&T slit your troat trick sneaking behind your back.

I went back to AT&T because of the iphone but now that Apple is selling unlock iphones most probably that I will be out again soon.

Considering that the ipod brings the same benifits of facetime and imessage is something to think about.

I hate the feeling of being rip-off , When you can get this kind of service for free.

For sure I'll be saying goodbye to AT&T for good.

Well, at least till the end of my stupid contract.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@carolynuk wrote:

First thanks for this posting its been very helpful.

I just notice it today when I recieved my bill and research why?

I immediately saw tex messaging charges for incoming and outgoing.

Just like many here who rarely check the actual at&t bill I was surprise as I dont use SMS to tex just imessage.

I thought for a long time that it was free, My son has an ipod and he imessage and facetime me all the time, its an ipod so its totally FREE

All along mine will be free too. This is one of AT&T slit your troat trick sneaking behind your back.

I went back to AT&T because of the iphone but now that Apple is selling unlock iphones most probably that I will be out again soon.

Considering that the ipod brings the same benifits of facetime and imessage is something to think about.

I hate the feeling of being rip-off , When you can get this kind of service for free.

For sure I'll be saying goodbye to AT&T for good.

Well, at least till the end of my stupid contract.

Sorry you think you are somehow being cheated but changing carriers won't change a thing as the message app on the iPhone works the same way regardless of the carrier. 

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Blue = iMessage no charge

Green = Text( think color of money) you pay

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

Your color coding works well on outgoing messages, but for me, all incoming messages have the same white background whether they are received via SMS or iMessage.  I do see a pale separator line showing me that the conversation is switching between SMS and Imessage though...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.