Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
cciechad's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 1:54 PM

Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Att,

How about posting the sigining key for the AT&T S5 bootloader that you locked on the phone I just spent 650 dollars on? Also is what your support is telling customers correct? They are stating that if I buy a SIM unlock code this will also clear the bootloader lock? I'm guessing this is completely incorrect and that the AT&T customer support people have no idea what they are doing(I had to explain the difference between a bootloader and SIM unlock several dozen times). If someone doesn't come out with an exploit soon I'm going to return this piece of junk to AT&T and jump ship for T-Mobile(they respect their customers enough to not put some crap bootloader lock on a 650 dollar phone).

Thanks,

Chad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I COMPLETELY AGREE! It's a total slap in the face, and this act alone (locking the bootloader) changed my opinion of AT&T. I was totally excited to FINALLY upgrade from the S3 to S5...only to have my creative dreams of a phone thats truly mine smashed by some stupid big wig that wants to have one last thread of control. If i could afford to break contract, i would in a second.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I have spent over 15 hours trying to unlock my Samsung Gear S to be able to link it and use it fully with my iPhone.  The T-Mobile and Verizon bootloader is not locked like AT&T.  I have called AT&T to get the bootloader unlocked.  They do not know the difference between a sim unlock and a bootloader unlock.  I finally talked with a level 2 tech support at AT&T who kinda knew what I was talking about but still could not help me.  She said that Samsung added the bootloader lock.  I call Samsung and they said that the lock was part of AT&T software, which is what I believe, due to the fact that the same models for T-Mobile and Verizon are not locked.  I simply want to unlock the bootloader so that I can run Android Wear on my Samsung Gear S and then pair it with my iPhone.  I paid too much money for the Samsung Gear S for it to be simply used as a digital watch.  i am so disapointed with AT&T.  If anyone knows how to unlock the AT&T bootloader for Samsung Gear S, please let me know.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Same old same old.....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Why anyone would want to replace tizen with Android wear is beyond me. Bat life would be like 5 hours on the gear s

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

8 years ago

Some on android forums report much less, like an hour.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

i watched the guys youtube video that ported it to the gear s.  There were more force closes than I have ever seen.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

WOW...  DISABLE the apps that was brought into android in jellybean.

{keep it courteous}. No one would complain if the bloatware could be disabled or uninstalled. Have you actually tried to do it, or are you just guessing? I am allowed to disable some five apps, and there are about 30-40 or more that cannot be stopped at all, including all those starting with ATT in their name.

And btw, at place where I work, most everyone hates bloatware. One guy even bought windows phone to avoid bloatware (yes, that phone does not have it running in the background like ATT does).

I just bought my S5 not knowing it was ATT locked (BL locked). It said "unlocked' and since it is not on contract , I wrongly assumed I could do whatever I wanted with it. Then, in the first few minutes of turning it on, I see that battery % is going down by about 1% every few seconds - with no use, just the screen being ON. Even few days later, when I turned off everything that could be turned off, the battery can barely last a whole day, and phone lags from time to time, probably gathering data in the background or who knows what.

So, I decided to return it. Luckily, I have 30 days to return it.

I too was an ATT customer, but this has taught me to avoid them like the plague. Never again anything to do with ATT. Heck, I would even opt for Apple Isheep phone rather than this bloatware, but I will find a phone which gives me control over what software is running on it, and/or bootloader even if I have to order one from China.

ATT you blew it. Too bad these kinda decisions take many years to show their true effect - I predict terrible future for ATT, but not soon enough.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@rip8tt

You bought a 4 generations old phone?

As for disabling apps I disabled every att app on a s8 except remote support.  I didn't buy a s5 because it was a peice of junk.  Felt like a toy.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@rip8tt wrote:

WOW...  DISABLE the apps that was brought into android in jellybean.

@rip8tt  {keep it courteous}. No one would complain if the bloatware could be disabled or uninstalled. Have you actually tried to do it, or are you just guessing? I am allowed to disable some five apps, and there are about 30-40 or more that cannot be stopped at all, including all those starting with ATT in their name.

And btw, at place where I work, most everyone hates bloatware. One guy even bought windows phone to avoid bloatware (yes, that phone does not have it running in the background like ATT does).

I just bought my S5 not knowing it was ATT locked (BL locked). It said "unlocked' and since it is not on contract , I wrongly assumed I could do whatever I wanted with it.   Samsung boot signs and locks all their phones with lollipop or newer OS.  Didn’t matter if it were branded.  Then, in the first few minutes of turning it on, I see that battery % is going down by about 1% every few seconds - with no use, just the screen being ON.   Um, yeah, the screen uses battery too.  Even updated to marshmallow the older Samsung still use battery at a faster rate than the GS8.  I believe it has 2 battery saving quick settings.  Even few days later, when I turned off everything that could be turned off, the battery can barely last a whole day, used phone?  Used battery.  Or substandard new battery.  and phone lags from time to time, Thats classic Old Samsung.  probably gathering data in the background or who knows what.

So, I decided to return it. Luckily, I have 30 days to return it.

I too was an ATT customer, but this has taught me to avoid them like the plague. Never again anything to do with ATT. Heck, I would even opt for Apple Isheep phone rather than this bloatware, but I will find a phone which gives me control over what software is running on it, and/or bootloader even if I have to order one from China.

ATT you blew it. Too bad these kinda decisions take many years to show their true effect - I predict terrible future for ATT, but not soon enough.

You want to remove apps, Then you don’t want Samsung.  Look at google or one of the many unlocked phones.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Yeah, this is some {edited for word filter evasion}. I own the phone  and had ATT's overpriced service for 2.5 years before switching  to MetroPCS. What other  products  exists on the consumer  level that carries this much oversight. Let's  admit it....BL lock is the just the use of capitalistic ideologies in full swing for the networks to make more money because people simply have to stick with their original network provider and you're  average person doesn't have close to the technical knowledge to f* with any of this; which is kinda sick if you think about it --using the thw limit of ones knowledge to force money out of them. With that said, ATT has the toughest security of all providers; they lnow a think or two aboyt programming and software...who do you think created UNIX?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.