Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Nibiru's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 13th, 2013 3:41 AM

Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

Any news when will Android 4.4 (aka Kit-Kat) be available for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 devices?

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@trparky wrote:

not once did my phone lose its GPS lock.

I really do challenge you to use MyTracks to prove that fact. I too thought that this problem was intermittent .. what I found out after further study of all four samsung phones I now have , is that most users THINK they had flawless GPS coverage.

The only way I was able to prove how troublesome the issue is was by asking the phone to record the current GPS location SEVERAL TIMES A MINUTE. (By hitting the Record button on the free app My Tracks).

Once you review the data your phone has recorded, you too will see this issue is profound

@trparky are you on 4.3  Build xxxNB4?

Guru

• 

594 Messages

10 years ago

Build Number: JSS15J.N900AUCUBNB4

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

I just tried chatting again and i got a really sarcastic CSR. I just told a fix was coming soon and there was nothing they could do. Also she asked if all the other features were wokring on the phone and i said yes she said good i can give you 10$ credit. I asked here where she found a GPS unit for 10$.

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE ATT!

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

I received a one time $25 credit. Others have received 3 months of data service half off, which would be around $45 total value.

Keep complaining.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@trparky wrote:

The following two files match what the user on XDA Developers has in his GPS fix patch...

/system/lib/hw/gps.goldfish.so

/system/etc/gps.conf

The only one that didn't match was /system/lib/hw/gps.default.so.

@trparky

Okay so I have applied the XDA fix to one of my safestraped backups, then compared these files bit-by-bit

/system/lib/hw/gps.default.so
/system/lib/hw/gps.goldfish.so
/system/lib/libloc_adapter.so
/system/lib/libloc_api_v02.so
/system/lib/libloc_eng.so
/system/etc/gps.conf

the "fixed" versions in the XDA files are dated 2009. aside from the file date/time change, the following files were NOT any different from the stock ones I already had:

gps.conf

gps.goldfish.so

All of the other files were significantly different.

Now I am in the process of testing the effects of the new files. It should be easy for me to see if they fixed the problem or not ... Just have to go on a short drive with My Tracks recording...

Guru

• 

594 Messages

10 years ago

The SO files are binary files, I compared MD5 checksums and they didn't match on the files I mentioned were changed.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

10 years ago

That is good news really, on the GPS fix. I'd rather wait and get the gps corrected. Kit kat is not going to provide any substantial change in look or feel. I use a launcher anyway so I've had kit kat icons since they came out. The rest of the improvements are all mostly hidden. So if you have a note 3 which is already blazing fast, you will not likely notice a big change. I think when the upgrade hits a few older devices  it will likely feel faster. I've been on ATT for a long time and have gotten wrapped up in software drama, always looking for the next update. But I made a decision after owning a skyrocket(GS2) that I would never purchase a phone again that I wasn't happy with right out of the box. Since then I've been very happy on ICS(GS3) then Jelly Bean(GS3, Note2 and Note3). The GPS is a little more practical. So I'd really like it to work well all the time if possible.Smiley Happy

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

So wondering of the note 2 is going to get kitkat before the note 3.  Rumor has it samsung is going to be pushing that out here shortly. 

If ATT does push it out before the note 3, what will all of you do?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Well, I took the plunge and did the fix off XDA's site, fully working gps and phone.  I did however get a CS to give me 2 months 1/2 credit off my bill, and was told if a working fix was pushed out before the SG5 is out, I could swap for it at no charge. So my wife will most likely get that deal.  Im happy now with the GN3.

Guru

• 

831 Messages

10 years ago

I've had no issues with my GPS with every instance of using it. I will say though when the device is plugged in, the GPS locator icon in the status bar does go off. I will admit I don't personally use GPS that often.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.