For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
jay71byrd's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 12:40 PM

Samsung Captivate: no sound except in headphones...

I had recently purchased the Samsung Captivate and until now, its been awesome; however, the sound doesnt work now.  I can plug in the headphones and everything comes through loud and clear.  I have been in all of the settings and everything is maxed out.  I have deleted caches and stopped running services thinking an app was causing the issue.  I have power cycled the device mupltiple times and even removed the battery and SIMs card without any luck.  I've been to the SAMSUNG website and googled for issues with audio, but i havent found anything.  Is this an issue with the phone or is there some administrative setting that i havent been able to find that needs to be checked/unchecked?  Please help.  Without the volume, this phone has lost much of its usefulness and fun.  Thanks.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

14 years ago

You should exchange it for a new one since you had it for less than 30 days.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Same problem happened to me.  The sound was gone AFTER I used the headset, even after I unpluged it.  Guess the "spring" inside the jack did not return to the original position after one unplugs the heaset.  The short-circuit caused by the headset becoms perminent.  Very annoying.  Cannot hear any rings when people call me.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Follow-up note:  I treid to press hard on the speaker as suggested by others here.  The sound did recover.  Apparently Samsung has a loose speaker issue here.  Not sure if a replacement will have the problem fixed or not.  Hope it is not a general Galaxy S phone issue.   I like the phone interface, but hate to press the speaker in order to get my phone ring....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Thanks for the info, I had no sound on my phone, I did tap it a couple of  times on my hand and speakers came back to work...  I love this phone and out of  30 days waranty will hope for the best... I'll see how long the sound will work now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Well the same thing keeps happinging to me too...I have had this phone since Sept and LOVE IT until now...no noise, I have to check it constantly to see if I have missed calls or texts.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't & sometimes it starts to make a noise & quit. grrrrrr

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Your post helped me with that exact same problem! I went through all settings and even rebooting to no avail. I come across this forum by Googling my problem and found your post and tried what you did. IT WORKED!!! Thabks for posting!   Smiley Wink

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Thanks dude, That worked like a charm...They have to fix this design flaw..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I cant believe this problem is so common., only I have have it worse. and I dont believe its hardware cause sometimes, even once a day, I cant here my conversation with who im talking to. meaning my outer sound and inner sound doesnt work. everytime I turn off the phone and back on again it works. but its a pain!! it also happens most times when I press speaker while talking. I like the phone but it has some weak software.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

1. Exact same annoying problem with 2 captivate phones. The solution used to be, to put a piece of paper behind the back cover top make it press the battery. It is not anymore working. Now I've been using the phone for a year and a month and I'm out of warranty.. Have any one tried removing screws and find a definitive solution?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Yes! I did that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ZMUAeaVfo

It seems I have to change the earpiece which is one with the speaker.Smiley Sad

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.