Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
CAMouse62's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 6:45 PM

Closed

S Voice (now Voice talk) and non-Wi-Fi connection

S Voice/Voice Talk has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years. Recently if stopped working unless my Galaxy Note has a Wi-Fi connection. ATT and Samsung have no answers since it is an application. Nuance (makers of Dragon Mobile Assistant) purchased the developer that made S Voice and does not support S Voice. Dragon Mobile does not work the same way and will not read new incoming text messages. I have, also, verified that S Voice/Voice Talk no longer works on a Motorola Attrix HD without being connected via Wi-Fi. This has now made my devices no longer compliant with State Hands Free laws. Nuance's application drains a fully charged batter in less than 6 hours because it is a constant connection to the 4G/LTE network, which makes it a data hog that uses up all the data limits. That means 3 phones will use over 6GB of data in under 8 hours. Is there anyway to correct the S Voice app to work correctly or is there another application that works *exactly like* it available?

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

And now you have opened up your phone to spyware just letting you know. You should not have to download another app store and an entirely diffrent app to get it to work after it just decided to quit working.

This is ATT's fault just as much as its Sammsungs fault. quit pointing fingers and get it fixed. This is starting to feel like the GPS issue all over again.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I didn't download s voice. I downloaded the app store like Google play is an app. The store updated my existing s voice. And I have spy ware and anti virus on my phone with avg and lookout. I also uninstalled the store to be safe. Hopefully I don't encounter problems but I just thought I'd let you know my fix. S voice is not created by att or samsung. It is a Vlingo app ran by nuance. It's only an update issue as far as I can tell. I can understand not wanting to do it this way but I live of my Gear and my s voice. And I've Bem using it all day. Just saying.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I believe that the S-Voice (11.4.0.2) you downloaded is the same I talk about before on this thread.

I belongs to the S5 (you have a light blue color background, right?)... it is not the Note 3 app.

While it works (sometimes not always) after you toggle WiFi ON/OFF, my fear is that you will not get the proper update for the Note 3...

Since the operation was sporadic, sometimes it works for long stretches... sometimes it doesn't.... I decided to remove it and restore the non-working S-Voice from the original phone (version 11.2.0.2)

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I knew I read that somewhere! I've read so many forums my eyes crossed. Yes it is blue & yes it is 11.4.0.2 Well with the responses I received to my post I contacted AT&T and Samsung for the 100th time. I told them what I did and the concerns. I was told by AT&T that ANY app on the android market is a 'risk' because even Google is an open market. (I normally look at permissions any way before I decide) I was also told lookout and avg were good and reliable. The agent had both on their phone. Samsung informed me that s voice is not device specific. It's the same app pre installed on all samsung devices. I was also told that any updates sent by Samsung or the carrier cannot be changed. So if they send an update it will override mine. They also said if I have problems just uninstall the update. We went over steps for spyware. Your phone will 'act' weird. Texts with strange numbers. It will be hot to the touch. Battery life will be very short. Apps will stop working. Etc.. So I have not experienced anything unusual. My s voice is still working great. My Gear is good. I have peace of mind from both Samsung & AT&T. Believe me, I'm so frustrated and tired with them. I spent so much money on all this equipment that doesn't work. But thank you for responding, helping & giving me insight! Now I will wait for the 'real' update.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

this is the main reason Samsung needs to split out these apps like this so they can be updated thru the play store and no one has to wait for an OTA.  If LG, HTC, and Motorola can do it so can samsung.  But there to interested in there own fail of an app store.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

"The agent had both on their phone."

How?????  Every time I installed 11.4.0.2 it overwrote the 11.2.0.2...

I could not have both apps side by side...

When I unistalled 11.4.0.2... the default original 11.2.0.2 popped  back again.. and soon enough a new update 11.2.0.2 again... for whatever reason... but still does not work.

The App is the same on all carriers. As I mention in this thread before, I "stole" the App by making an APK with "APK extractor Free" from my neighbor's Note 3 ( She's on Sprint)...

Loaded it on mine... works just fine... but only on WiFi...

So it leads me to believe what the 2nd tier help from Samsung told me... It's an ATT network issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

ok I loaded the note 3 apk on my s5(I paid 100 bucks for it at the pawn shop) and s voice does not work over cellular.  take it off and reinstall the s5 version it works over cellular.  Its the app not the network.  I am assuming they need to update the app on the note 3 to the newer version.  there is somthing at play here that makes no since.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

The agent had both Avg & Lookout. Not 2 versions of s voice. Sorry for the confusion.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

S-Voice from Note 3 does not work on 4G on the Note 3

S-Voice from S5 works on 4G on the Note 3

S-Voice from Note 3 (from Sprint or Verison) Work on Note 3 (4G) on their respective networks but it does not work on AT&T

S-Voice from Note 3 cannot work on S5  b-e-c-a-u-s-e AT&T thinks it's a Note 3 !!!

Got it?... Read all my comment posted before.

It is how the network interprets the App data sent. The same "exact" APP in Sprint or Verison HAS NO problems.

It is the network by process of elimination. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@aec007 wrote:

S-Voice from Note 3 cannot work on S5  b-e-c-a-u-s-e AT&T thinks it's a Note 3 !!!

Got it?... Read all my comment posted before.

It is how the network interprets the App data sent. The same "exact" APP in Sprint or Verison HAS NO problems.

It is the network by process of elimination. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually it can.  I can get the tmobile note 3 version to work on my S5.  The only way android knows the model number of the device is by build prop in the android op system.  I will say the reason the verizon and sprint versions dont work is they are from CDMA phones so im sure that has something to do with it.

Its a software problem.  All samsung needs to do is send a new apk to all note 3's. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.