Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
NoPhoneGo's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, May 6th, 2018 6:22 PM

New SIM on GalaxyS4 & now not connecting to Microcell

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I had to get a new SIM card for it yesterday (after unsuccessfully setting up a newer phone), and when I returned to the apartment, my Microcell is no longer connecting to it. My boyfriends IPhone is having no issues with connecting, and mine had no issues connecting to the Microcell before the new SIM card(s). I have turned the phone on & off multiple times, removed the battery & restarted, and have restarted the Microcell a few times.... all to no avail...

As a side note, it will show in the settings that I am 'connected' & within a minute of my being in the apartment, it now shows 'disconnected'...

I have no idea what to do at this point & have been back & forth to a Corporate ATT store 5 times yesterday, getting New SIM cards.

Now, occasionally, it will show that my phone is picking up something, but it will not show "Microcell" in the upper left hand corner, as it did before...

Please give any advice, the help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

Login and remove the number, then add it back.

https://www.att.com/3gmicrocell/unauth/login.do?target=FOAMM

The m-cell has been discountiued.  It is expected the bulk of users have a phone capable of Wifi calling, which is the method to connect via Home Wifi going forward.  

AT&T branded Samsung phones from the GS5 and newer, running Marshmallow or newer OS are capable of Wifi calling.

iphone 6 or newer

and AT&T branded LG G3 or newer running marshmallow or newer OS are capable.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

What if I am the number that the account is attached to??

Thank you!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I have just tried to do this... since it is attached to my phone number, it will not allow me to 'delete' my own number and re-add it.

I did just try to re-add it as another number, and it told me it was already saved.

Next steps/ideas?? Thank you!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

I suspect that means deregistering and starting all over... 

@OttoPylot can you confirm?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 years ago

@NoPhoneGo - is it your phone number that the MicroCell was originally activated and registered to? If yes, then you may have to deactivate the MicroCell , wait a day or so for it to go thru the system and activate/register it again. I suspect the phone. Why did you have to get a new SIM card? Did that phone ever work with the MicroCell? Did you completely turn the phone off, waited a couple of minutes and then turn it back on or did you just put it in standby?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Hi Otto!

Yes, my cell number is what the microcell is attached to.  It has worked perfectly for the past 1.5+ years, and worked fine yesterday morning.... it is still working perfectly with my boyfriend's phone (which i am on the phone with right now to ATT tech support, and thus far, they are pretty lost, with no answers).  I have a new SIM card because I tried to set up a new cell phone yesterday, but when I brought it home, it did not connect to the Microcell... I figured it was that new phone & went right back to the corporate store & had them reactivate the S4 (they had apparently 'shredded' my old SIM card, so thus the new one).  However, when I got home, it did the same thing the other one had done in the new phone & will not connect to the MCell,  

So yes, it has worked with the S4 for the past 1.5+ years, and even yesterday morning, until the new SIM card. Yes, I have turned it off multiple times, for several minutes at a time. I have also tried taking out the battery and turning the MCell off for a few minutes & plugging back in -- as I said, my boyfriends phone immediately reconnected to it, and mine has not (his is working great)!

This is horrible...

Would i just go into my account and deactivate it & try to reactivate it tomorrow evening??? How long does it usually take to go thru the system so it is cleared out and I can try to reactivate it --24 hours?? So if I deactivate it tonight, it can be reactivated tomorrow night?  I cannot use Wi-Fi C with my phone, and I cannot get a new MCell according to ATT.  I read another thread you commented on when someone tried to deactivate and reactivate the MCell & it was not recognizing the number of the MCell to reactivate...

Sorry for the length... just really frustrated & freaked out... I work primarily from home & cannot get a landline in the building & need my phone to work!!

Thank you!!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 years ago

@NoPhoneGo - sales of the MicroCell were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. AT&T claims they will continue to support it thru this year but I have my doubts as to how good that will be. The MicroCell service will eventually be discontinued as well but there's no telling when.

I'm not current on the Galaxy S4 so I don't know if AT&T still sells them or not. If they don't, with a new SIM card the network may see it as a phone that is not supported for the MicroCell anymore. I'm not sure about that so maybe @lizdance40 can shed some light on that being as she is a Android user and has a lot of experience with them.

If you do deactivate your account I would wait at least 24 hours to make sure it goes thru the system. You should know right away if it hasn't gone thru when you try to reactivate/register it because you should get an error message that says something like the device is registered to another user.

My feeling is that something got messed up with your account when you went back and forth with a new phone and multiple SIM cards. If it is your account, deactivating and then attempting to reactivate may create another set of issues so just be aware of that. You still have a post paid AT&T cellular account don't you?

What model of iPhone does your boyfriend have? I ask because if deactivating/reactivating fails, and he has a WiFi-C capable phone, then at least he'll still have phone service.

A corporate store will be useless as far as the MicroCel goes because they just don't know anything enough to intelligently help customers. Phone Support is only marginally better.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

So true... I have learned all of this with the corp store & just spent another hour plus on the phone with tech support and then they hung up on me!! No help or resolution, whatsoever...

Yes, the account is Post-paid.  Literally nothing has changed, except the new SIM card... I never should have messed with anything, it worked so well on my phone until yesterday afternoon & the new card.

I have checked into whether it may be showing I have 2 phones, but apparently not the case, and the 'active' phone on the network for my account is showing the correct phone (S4) and the SIM card number matches their records.

My boyfriend has an iPhone 7, so I assume that has Wifi calling, but his phone has always had better ATT service and reception in the builiding, then mine (he just got the iPhone5 replaced and our MCell switched right on his phone when he got it in the mail from his company).

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 years ago

@NoPhoneGo - iPhones from the 6 on up are all WiFi-C capable so if you lose MicroCell service he should be fine as long as his account is a post paid account as well. A post paid account is a requirement to use WiFi-C on AT&T's network, the same as it is for the MicroCell. Before you attempt to deactivate the MicroCell, he could always put his phone in Airplane Mode (which disables the phone's cellular radio) and try to setup WiFi-C. If it works, then he's good to go and he can either disable Airplane Mode and go back to the MicroCell or just use WiFi-C. The downside of WiFi-C is that if the phone is within range of a MicroCell that it is registered to, the phone will preferentially attempt to connect to MicroCell's 3G cellular signal instead of your WiFi and that can cause issues.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@OttoPylot

@NoPhoneGo

I upgraded my android and they activated the new SIM card, and the phone is still connected to the m-cell.  It shouldn’t make any difference.  I’m stumped.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.