For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
psufan44's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, September 24th, 2018 8:43 PM

iPhone Xs Max locked or unlocked - Is there a Difference in features/plan availability/performance?

I am going to purchase outright an iPhone Xs Max.  I have an AT&T legacy plan which I will keep.  I read that At&T offers the option for voice-over-LTE and wi-fi calling only on AT&T carrier locked phone at initial purchase, not unlocked ones.  Is this true and are there other features in specifying an AT&T carrier phone at Apple store purchase that won’t be there vs Apple store unlocked phone which is ported to my AT&T plan?  Availability of my specific iphone model wanted at this time prompts this unlocked vs locked purchase at this time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just got a new iPhone Xs from the Apple store this past weekend and for whatever reason when I went to restore it in iTunes, it gave me the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked."  I purchased an AT&T version at the Apple Store with their iPhone upgrade plan (0% for 24 months with AppleCare+).  Maybe they are all unlocked if you buy them from Apple.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@DGMVW1 wrote:

I just got a new iPhone Xs from the Apple store this past weekend and for whatever reason when I went to restore it in iTunes, it gave me the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked."  I purchased an AT&T version at the Apple Store with their iPhone upgrade plan (0% for 24 months with AppleCare+).  Maybe they are all unlocked if you buy them from Apple.

its not carrier locked since you used apple financing and not the ATT next program.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I bought a locked iphone xs max, I used unlockallcellular.com to unlocked, was very easy.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Go for unlocked so they can LOCK your decision in their favor and hold you hostage by refusing to unlock your phone if there's a dispute.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.