For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Ckrebs5's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 7th, 2014 7:56 PM

i live in the us and i'm visiting Mexico does it cost other people to text me?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Ckrebs5 wrote:

There are a lot of variables in your question that need clarified before an exact answer can be given.

They will probably have to pay their carrier some fee to send text messages.  Will your phone be a US phone that is paying roaming fees to use it in Mexico, or will it be using a local (Mexican) carrier SIM card?  Are teh people sending you texts on a Mobile Share Value plan? (If they are then it may not cost them to send international text messages to carriers in Mexico.) 

In the end, they will probably have to pay something to send you text messages, but how much it will cost them will depend upon how you answer the questions above.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @Ckrebs5 

Like GeekBoy said, it can depend on many things, but in most basic terms:

If you're using your US number with international roaming, anyone texting you from the US will not be charged anything extra as it counts as a normal domestic message, but anyone texting you from Mexican numbers will pay their standard long distance rates.

If you'll be using a Mexican SIM/number, it's be the opposite, US texters will pay long distance rates, based on their carrier's pricing.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.