For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
rpoehailos's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Friday, April 6th, 2018 6:22 PM

False information supplied by CSR during an upgrade

I upgraded 2 phones 9 months ago on a buy-one get-one free plan, except I find you have been charging me for the extra phone. When I signed up for it the CSR said I qualified for it and I asked if I had to get a new number because if I did I would and then I would delete the old number. They informed me that I did not have to delete the number and he could apply the new phone to our existing numbers. On March 15th I contacted ATT and they opened a case for me, informing me it will be resolved by March 22nd. I heard nothing. On April 5th I called them and they informed me my case was denied. I explained to them that their CSR and ATT was negligent on supplying me with wrong and misleading information, yet, I'm still stuck with paying full price for the phone, even through they stated that the CSR was wrong for telling me that. I demanded to hear the voice recorded conversation at time of the transaction, and it was denied. I asked if they listed to it and they told me that they will not -- my case is denied.

What do I do? Small claims court for the principle of it? Leave ATT Wireless and Direct TV? Both? Why is it okay for ATT to mislead a customer and then stick the customer with a bill? Seems like a case of trickery.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@rpoehailos wrote:

I upgraded 2 phones 9 months ago on a buy-one get-one free plan, except I find you have been charging me for the extra phone. When I signed up for it the CSR said I qualified for it and I asked if I had to get a new number because if I did I would and then I would delete the old number. They informed me that I did not have to delete the number and he could apply the new phone to our existing numbers. On March 15th I contacted ATT and they opened a case for me, informing me it will be resolved by March 22nd. I heard nothing. On April 5th I called them and they informed me my case was denied. I explained to them that their CSR and ATT was negligent on supplying me with wrong and misleading information, yet, I'm still stuck with paying full price for the phone, even through they stated that the CSR was wrong for telling me that. I demanded to hear the voice recorded conversation at time of the transaction, and it was denied. I asked if they listed to it and they told me that they will not -- my case is denied.

What do I do? Small claims court for the principle of it? Leave ATT Wireless and Direct TV? Both? Why is it okay for ATT to mislead a customer and then stick the customer with a bill? Seems like a case of trickery.

The bill makes it clear which number the "GO"  phone of the BOGO plan is assigned to, so it shouldn't have taken months for you to find that out. 

Since you were originally willing to cancel the old line, I'd say your best bet is to do so and see if you can get 2 or 3 months credit for what you've  been paying on that line. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately I was on auto-pay and never had previous issues so I didn't review my account sooner -- my fault on that but it doesn't make it okay for them to lie to you just to sell you into a plan. The problem with canceling the old line is they are billing me every month for a phone on that number so I need to payout the phone (which was supposed to be free) before I can cancel it. I'm thinking of buying the phones, unlocking them and moving away from AT&T after being with them for 14 years or more.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@rpoehailos  I’m puzzled why you would buy a second phone on a second line, when you needed only one phone and one line.  Especially knowing you couldn’t cancel a line without paying off the phone.   Makes no sense 

The BOGO last year (2017) required TV service as well as a new line, and of course qualifying phones.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

We have 5 phones on our plan -- we were upgrading 2 people on the BOGO free program. They claim to get a free phone you have to add a line. We were going to add a new line and cancel out an old.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

You had to add a line for the free phone, buy qualifying phones and in 2017 TV service was also required.  The only exceptions to TV service were the holiday BOGO.  The computer looks for all the boxes to be checked off.  If all the requirements aren’t there, no credits are applied.  

These offers are published online. 

IMG_6492.PNG

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

We were willing to buy the new line and eventually cancel out another line that we fulfilled our agreement on already but the CSR told me we did not need to do that in order to qualify for the BOGO free. We did select an eligible device (Apple iPhone 7). What we were told by the CSR was not true and resulted in this issue and extra monthly cost to us. Now I am stuck paying for the phone (because of the CSR mistake). I have DirectTV as well and they confirmed we met all the qualifications for a BOGO free.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Can any ACE expert help me? Much appreciated if you can.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@rpoehailos wrote:

Can any ACE expert help me? Much appreciated if you can.

No one can provide you any help beyond the information already provided. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

I responded to post #6 with details explaining I followed the guidelines and the AT&T representative gave me false information but I did not receive a response to my reply, therefore no final answer was given.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Unfortunately, since your issue is being given incorrect information by an agent, there is nothing anyone here can do. My advice would be to file an FCC complaint, you will at least get a response from someone higher up in the customer support chain.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.