For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
tanmay80's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 4:53 PM

Closed

Complaint on bait and switch

I had 2 smartphones and 1 simple phone prior to Mar 8th.

I have one additional line that had unlimited data. 

My total bill was $170-$180.

I called AT&T to understand what my options were in converting the 3rd phone to a smart phone.

The person I talked to suggested I move to the Mobile Share plan for the first 3 lines with upgrading the 3rd line to a smartphone.

He said that I would be charged a total of ~$120-130.

With $50 charge for the unlimited line, I would still be charged total $170 - $180.

But, when I got the bill for month of May, I was overcharged - $30 and total was $210.

I called in the customer service and spoke to Frank/Tasha (Mgr) and was told that they could not do any thing because the 3rd line (upgraded to smartphone) contract date was after Feb and gets charged $40 instead of $25 on the mobile share plan. 

I call it BAIT and SWITCH.  I want to know how I can escalate my complaint and what can AT&T do about this?

I am not wanting to pay $30 extra every month going forward.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Same, it seems we're all un knowingly stuck in this "contract".

I have hated this installment plan, I would just like to get out of it.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Devon0318 wrote:

Same, it seems we're all un knowingly stuck in this "contract".

I have hated this installment plan, I would just like to get out of it.

pay off the phone and the etf if any and you are out of it

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I thought after you paid off the phones. there isn't an EFT. 😕

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Devon0318 wrote:

either or - on next plan pay off the phone, on 2 yr comitment pay off the etf

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Devon0318 wrote:

There is a possibility that you have a new phone under a NEXT program, but you qualified for the upgrade while still under a contract for your old phone.  Under that situation, I believe that the old contract terms still apply, so if you cancel before the end of that contract, it may have an ETF, as well as having a NEXT balance to pay off.  I do not have a NEXT program yet, so I can't definitively say if it cancels your current contract, or if the contract is still in effect until it reaches its full term.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

@tanmay80 , were you able to get this resolved?  Would you like for us to go over your billing? We can try to help. Send a private message by clicking here. Include your full name, account number, contact information and the best time you can be reached. One of our managers will gladly contact you within two business days.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

Well actually, your "rate plan" didnt change. But seeing that you got a free phone which is on a 2 year contract, the devices line went up to 40 dollars per month instead of 15 or 25 dollars as with a mobile share plan and a next device or a device that isnt on a contract but still with the mobile share plan. Its like this, 40 per month for a phone thats on a two year contract and 15 or 25 for a phone thats not on a contract on the mobile share plan.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.