Need help understanding your bill?
Edwin95's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 30th, 2012 6:15 AM

Changed sim from old phone to iPhone 3G

I recently changed my sim card from my old phone to a new iPhone. I want to know if I would get charged more for this. I know an iPhone needs a data plan and I already have a data plan with my old phone. What happens now?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Edwin95 wrote:
I had a Samsung strive

looks like it is a QMD / messaging / dumb phone, thee data plan that you have is not valid on a smartphone. You will need to choose from one of the valid plans for the device type - 300MB, 3GB or 5GB, texting is not included so you will need to add a texting plan to the phone also if you require it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

@Edwin95

Another option would be (If you're out of contract) switching over to pre-paid. If you need data, purchase only as needed.

Is your Iphone unlocked? Because, if it is, you can use any carrier you want, or whomever offers the best plan that fits your needs.

do yourself a favor and reserch a bit more before signing that dotted line.

Remember that Wild Banchi....(out of respect)

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Edwin95 wrote:
I recently changed my sim card from my old phone to a new iPhone. I want to know if I would get charged more for this. I know an iPhone needs a data plan and I already have a data plan with my old phone. What happens now?

depedns - if you old phone was a qmd devoce - aka a dumb phone you will be required to get a smartphone data plan, they are 300MB, 3GB or 5GB plans. If you old device had a combo data / texting plan that is a good indication you will be charged more, smartphone data plans outside of the old Iphone 2G do not include texting.

What phone did you have?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I had a Samsung strive

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@tosh323 wrote:

@Edwin95

Another option would be (If you're out of contract) switching over to pre-paid. If you need data, purchase only as needed.

Is your Iphone unlocked? Because, if it is, you can use any carrier you want, or whomever offers the best plan that fits your needs.

do yourself a favor and reserch a bit more before signing that dotted line.

Remember that Wild Banchi....(out of respect)

Iphones are not supported under prepaid, they do work with some manipulating but att wil not offer any assistance in configuring it if there are issue. Some people have posted that the 3G is approved but have never seen any official validated att statements on it.

As far as unlocked, the phone is not normally unlocked and att's policy is basicly - the original owner of the phone while it was under att contract needs to request it, the op makes no mention where the phone came from

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

@wingrider01

Contract free Iphones that are locked to AT&T work just fine on pre-paid without any manipulation. As well as any un-locked Iphone.

I have an unlocked 3GS that I've used outside US. I've personally tested it on AT&T pre-paid and it worked fine. I now use the contract free 4s on pre-paid.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@tosh323 wrote:

@wingrider01

Contract free Iphones that are locked to AT&T work just fine on pre-paid without any manipulation. As well as any un-locked Iphone.

I have an unlocked 3GS that I've used outside US. I've personally tested it on AT&T pre-paid and it worked fine. I now use the contract free 4s on pre-paid.

work fine or not, if there are issues there is zero support from the carrier - the end user needs to go in with eyes wide open know that if they have problems they are on their own. You may not have had probmes, but the iphone forum here has a multitude of messages from end users that are upset because their iphone will not function 100 percent on pre-paid and they get no support when they call in

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

youre right, he should be given as much info as people are willing to give up.

Original poster, look into "Straight-Talk"  (Google it)

I personally like at&t, however, that may change overtime.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I was told by an AT&T store employee that I could use a Gophone SIM in my iPhone, but I couldn't have data. So that's what I did.

I have the 10 cent/minute plan and rely on wifi only for data. That works for me. 

I've had no issues using the iPhone for voice or SMS this way

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.