Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
and_davis's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 10:01 PM

Closed

Buy One Get One Free LIES. AT&T Scam

My family has been a loyal customers for years, but I have been swindled by AT&T for the last 6 months. I have been paying for 2 phones even though I was told that if I added a new line in the summer that the second would be free. I added the line. I got the second phone. And the last six months have been a nightmare of delays and run-arounds where the credit is always promised to show up on the next bill or in a few days and nothing ever happens.

It is all a big scam and I am frustrated that there is no point of contact that can resolve this. The store tells me to call customer service. Customer Service just keeps telling me my case will be resolved in three days. A thing they repeat every three days when I call or use the chat functions. Today after all escalations and still not getting any credit for the 2nd phone and having paid over $150 for the second phone that was supposed to be covered by credits, nothing has changed.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can it get resolved?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

If my case ever gets out of "Intensive Care" limbo I'll be very surpised.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

And now I just keep seeing on the forum that people are describing the exact same scenario as I have found myself in. That makes it pretty much systemic and clear that this is the height of incompetency or a scam. Since this is a business, I'm gonna say the latter and will never buy any product from AT&T ever again. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@and_davis wrote:

I have been paying for 2 phones even though I was told that if I added a new line in the summer that the second would be free. I added the line. I got the second phone.

You only mention buying a second phone & line... 

Has anyone else had this problem? How can it get resolved?

Yes, but most of them missed a step. Answering some questions...

IF you would like some assistance, there are some questions we need answers to (answers determine the suggestions)

1. Specifically kind of phones were EACH of them? (2 answers)
2. Have your been late for any of your payments?

3. What date did you add the second line?
4. What date did you purchase EACH phone? 
5. Specifically, which Next plans were EACH of the phones on? Please check the # of payments on your bill for this.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

1. When I added the line I purchased two iphone 6 pluses. I was told the $650 would not cover all of the second phone, but would be a credit covering a good portion of it over time.

2. No.

3. July 2017

4. July 2017 (both)

5. One phone is on Next 24 and the other is on Next 30. We were told this is how we had to set it up in the store to get the BOGO credit. But recently one of the representatives at Customer Service says they don't understand why they were entered as separate plans.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@and_davis wrote:

1. When I added the line I purchased two iphone 6 pluses. I was told the $650 would not cover all of the second phone, but would be a credit covering a good portion of it over time.

2. No.

3. July 2017

4. July 2017 (both)

5. One phone is on Next 24 and the other is on Next 30. We were told this is how we had to set it up in the store to get the BOGO credit. But recently one of the representatives at Customer Service says they don't understand why they were entered as separate plans.

#5 is where your problem is.  They both had to be on the exact payment plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@and_davis wrote:

2. No.

3. July 2017

4. July 2017 (both)

I'm going to assume you didn't actually buy those in July of 2017 and that it was July of 2016. But I really was looking for a DATE not just a month. 

Which NEXT plan was the free one on??

Sorry, the iPhone 6 (or Iphone 6 Plus) was never offered on a BOGO last year (I'm not sure it ever was).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@and_davis wrote:

I will assume they were 6S plus as the 6 plus was NEVER available as a qualified BOGO phone.   If you did indeed by 2 6 plus, you did qualify

2. No.

3. July 2017.  

4. July 2017 (both)

There was no iPhone BOGO in July.  July offered a few android phones only.

By the time July rolled around the Next options were either Next every year or Next 24.  It is unlikely the Next installments were the problem.  

Link to the July Bogo news brief.  

http://about.att.com/story/getting_a_free_att_smartphone_is_easy.html

If you bought in July, iphones did not qualify.  If you also bought iPhone 6 Plus that is also a non qualifier.    

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Mismatched Next plans....is what it seems like to me. They need to be identical for most BOGO plans.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@David606 @GLIMMERMAN76 The July offer says "phones may be bought on any combination of AT&T Next". http://about.att.com/story/getting_a_free_att_smartphone_is_easy.html

Although that July offer doen't list iPhone 6 as a valid phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

Thank you Gary, I was about to go there...

".......The phones may be bought on any combination of AT&T Next (30-month contract for up to $695 or $23.17 a month), AT&T Next Every Year (24-month contract for up to $695 or $28.96 a month), or for business customers only, EIP (24-month contract for up to $695 or $23.17 a month) or EIP (36-month contract for up to $695 or $19.31 a month)....."

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.