For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
heymax777's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2011 5:31 AM

Transferring Grandfathered Data Plan to New Device

I have an iPhone 3G with a grandfathered unlimited data plan.  I was thinking about getting a new phone and keeping the same plan as is.  I checked my wireless account and it shows "Data Unlimited for iPhone."  I know a phone ugrade through AT&T would require a new data plan along with a 2-year contract, so I'm avoiding that since my contract is over.  My question is, if I were to purchase an unlocked gsm smartphone elsewhere, can I just remove the sim card from my iPhone and pop it into the new phone?  Would this work?  Would this allow me to keep my same plan and everything else?  I just wanted to verify before purchasing a new phone.  Thanks in advance.

Max

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Dcookie wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

I'm just double checking on this...I had an Unlimited Media Net plan on my dumbphone $10/mo,  and 2 days ago, purchased my first Smartphone at Best Buy. They removed my dumbphone Unlimited Media Net Plan and added the 2 GB $25/mo data plan, as I wanted. 

MY question is, COULD I possibly have KEPT my Unlimted Media Net plan (grandfathered) or is this an entirely different situation? I've had someone tell me that I could have kept it but somehow, I wouldn't think so. I don't believe Unlimited Meda Net plans for Dumbphones would be grandfathered to a new Smartphone, even though I would be paying $30/mo instead of the $10. I hope this made sense to you. I just need to confirm. I need to know if I need to make any phonecalls to CC.

Thanks

No - unlimited Media net is not a smartphone plan. These are two different beasts.

Yea, I figured that. Just needed to make sure. But, another thing is, if they're two different beasts, how can some people get away using  the dumbphone data plan on a smartphone, until they get caught that is? It seems like it data is data, correct?

Sometimes, it depends on how access is configured, haven;t used medianet in about 10 years but if I recall correctly you are not using s full service browser like Safari, Opera or IE mobile, but a restricted one. Where on a smartphone you ar using a full service browser. Restrictions are higher on a medianet data plan then a smartphone data plan

There used to be a loophole back when data plans where not mandatory for smartphones that a media net pan could be attached to a smartphone, the carrier has since closed that loophole but there are still older smartphones out there that still have a medianet plan attached, by attrition they will die out when the user comes in out of the cold to upgrade

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.